Author Topic: I am on the fence  (Read 5622 times)

ronlarimer

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Balloon Goes Up
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I am on the fence
« on: July 07, 2011, 02:40:57 PM »
I love many of the slow motion function shots, the down range bullet leaving the barrel shots, and the ballistic gelatin shots.  I also like hearing about the development history and some of the "how this gun touched my life" stories.

But those are also the things that I would like to see more of...

In the Episode 1, I would have loved to hear the story of the .38 and the Moro tribe, John Browning desire to create an auto loading larger caliber pistol (his auto-loading long gun history and a .38 - .45 ballistics comparison), The military history, and then a discussion of how his use of the swinging link drove most modern pistol design (how the gun operates), why it can be a reliable fighting tool or a bulls eye gun and then end with a few "how it touched me stories" and a cliff hanger about it going full circle and 1911 gun writers carrying a j-frame or Glocks lack of swinging lug to be discussed in another show.

I did not need to hear Phil Schreier be put up as an expert and say "And that cartridge kills bugs dead... on impact...  no questions asked.  You can hit a guy in the pinky with a .45 acp round and your still going to spin him around 3 times and he is still going to drop on the ground and is not going to want to get up again.  That doesn't happen with any other cartridge ."  :o  That doesn't happen with a .50BMG much less a pistol round.

In episode 2 I would have loved to see a comparison of why the Mauser was a leap forward as I don't believe that it being smokeless was its biggest benefit.  It could be shot prone, it could handle more energy, it was reliable and simple.  I would have loved to see a visual comparison to the inspirational kitchen lock and the working action.  Then to see where the linage has gone...  data on why it was surpassed by the Garand in military battle rifle applications and where the Mauser inspired action has gone precision rifles today (Remington 700 compare and contrast and maybe even discuss the controlled feed more).

If this show is for Gun Culture 2.0 and new shooters I think that comments like Phil Schreier's should never make the show and linking the guns of the past to the new equipment is a vital link.  If the purpose of the show is to tell the story of 1 gun, great! But then you need to explore that gun and not introduce the concept of similar platform guns (Brother Ted's bolt action .22lr).

Just my 2 cents, but so far I rate your shows  as follows...

1) Shooting Gallery (your personality makes the show as much as the content, but I like the focus on 1 topic)
2) The Best Defense
3) Gun Stories
4) The Best Defense Survival
Ron

We do not get to pick when the balloon goes up, only how well prepared we are to deal with it.
Balloon Goes Up

tombogan03884

Re: I am on the fence
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 03:25:50 PM »
I can't see the shows so I can't comment on the content of your post.
What I will say is that when MB launches a show he often sounds like Johnny 5 in "Short Circuit"
"Need input, NEED MORE INPUT! "    ;D

slide

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: I am on the fence
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:22:56 PM »
I thought it was a huge success!
Does this mean what I think it do? It do!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk