Author Topic: Episode #3: The 1873 Colt Single Action  (Read 9463 times)

Marshal Halloway

• Forum Administrator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 28
Episode #3: The 1873 Colt Single Action
« on: July 13, 2011, 12:12:56 PM »

Samuel Colt and his invention of the revolver changed the world. The ability to fire five or six rounds without reloading made a huge difference in the history of firearms. Sam Colt set a standard, but his 1873 Single Action Army was a model he wasn’t even around to see.

Gun experts you’ll meet in this episode: Alex Rose, Gene “Evil Roy” Pearcey, Dick Williams, George Harris, Ken Hackathorn, Bill Laughridge, Jim Supica, Philip Shreier, Dr. Jack Atwater, Larry Potterfield, Gary Paul Johnston, Stephen Hunter, Jason Schubert, Ross Seyfried and Ted Nugent.

Air Times on Outdoor Channel: 07-13 at 2:00PM | 07-13 at 7:30PM | 07-13 at 10:30PM | 07-14 at 1:30AM | 07-17 at 6:00AM. All times EST.

tombogan03884

Re: Episode #3: The 1873 Colt Single Action
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 02:22:23 PM »
Colt didn't invent "the revolver", they had been around for ages. What he did was develop the "single barrel revolver".
Previous designs had all combined the chamber and barrel into one unit that made a functional multi shot hand gun, but weight limited it to smaller calibers. By separating the components into 5 chambers ( the original Patterson design was a 5 shot ) in a separate cylinder and a single barrel Colt produced a weapon that not only produced multiple shots, but was handy enough for practical use.
Any one know what was the Worlds first National military organization to adopt repeating arms ? 
I'll post the answer later if I remember  ;D

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1046
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 03:34:47 PM »
Colt didn't invent "the revolver", they had been around for ages. What he did was develop the "single barrel revolver".
Previous designs had all combined the chamber and barrel into one unit that made a functional multi shot hand gun, but weight limited it to smaller calibers. By separating the components into 5 chambers ( the original Patterson design was a 5 shot ) in a separate cylinder and a single barrel Colt produced a weapon that not only produced multiple shots, but was handy enough for practical use.
Any one know what was the Worlds first National military organization to adopt repeating arms ? 
I'll post the answer later if I remember  ;D

I have read several items on that also.
For example:

The answer to this question depends on what counts as the first revolver. One this is for sure, it was NOT Samuel Colt who invented it. Here are some possible answers.

The earliest example of a revolver is a revolving arquebus, produced by Hans Stopler in 1597. Another early specimen, now in the Tower of London armories, is dated to the middle 1600s and attributed to John Dafte of London. This example, a flintlock, uses a single lock, with a flash pan for each of the six chambers. The cylinder is rotated by hand, and locks in place for firing. This was still not perfected, however, as it was apparently destroyed by a misfire. James Puckle patented a revolving chamber gun in 1718. This gun, which had a 1.25 inch bore (30 mm) was tripod mounted, and the 11 shot cylinder was operated by a hand crank.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Discuss:Who_invented_the_revolver#ixzz1S1FvZyow
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 03:40:59 PM »
I'll post the answer later if I remember  ;D

Norway.....the Krag-Petersson??
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 05:28:49 PM »
In 1836 Colt's Patterson NJ plant filled an order for Rifles, pistols and shot guns placed by the Republic of Texas Navy making it the first national military force to issue repeating arms as a standard issue.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:30:41 PM »

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 08:35:05 AM »
The slow mo for the revolver shooting was absolutely awsome. I had my grandson with me, when we were watching, and he was extremely impressed with the flame from the cylinder gap.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

PegLeg45

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 11:40:50 AM »
The slow mo for the revolver shooting was absolutely awsome. I had my grandson with me, when we were watching, and he was extremely impressed with the flame from the cylinder gap.

+1
Great camera work on this show.

seeker_two

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:06:31 PM »
A beautifully done show....good job, Team Bane!....  8)
Why, yes....I'm the right-wing extremist Obama warned you about... ;D

I just wish Texas was as free and independent as everyone thinks it is...   :'(

wakatomika creek

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 08:07:49 AM »
Sam Colt the huckster??? DRTV needs to get better "experts". Sam Colt died before the end of the Civil War. He certainly knew about the Rollin White patent for the bored through cylinder but indications are that Sam Colt believed the loose powder and ball revolver was superior to the new fangled self contained cartridge. Perhaps because Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson had purchased the White
patent and were guarding it viciously. At his death the phrase "Peacemaker" had not been connected with his firearm. Sam Colt never saw the "Peacemaker". He didn't name it thus, and He certainly was not a "Huckster " , but was the force behind an invention that revolutionized civilization, literally.
Wakatomika Creek
SASS #30238

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 12:40:19 PM »
Sam Colt the huckster??? DRTV needs to get better "experts". Sam Colt died before the end of the Civil War. He certainly knew about the Rollin White patent for the bored through cylinder but indications are that Sam Colt believed the loose powder and ball revolver was superior to the new fangled self contained cartridge. Perhaps because Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson had purchased the White
patent and were guarding it viciously. At his death the phrase "Peacemaker" had not been connected with his firearm. Sam Colt never saw the "Peacemaker". He didn't name it thus, and He certainly was not a "Huckster " , but was the force behind an invention that revolutionized civilization, literally.
Wakatomika Creek
SASS #30238

Sam Colt most certainly was a huckster and con man who got his start selling patent medicines, and fake gold bars.
His first company, in Patterson NJ went bankrupt and ended up in court where his many creditors, including relatives , received little if any of their money back. The threat of further legal actions, and animosity of potential investors were what spurred his move to Hartford where he had another Uncle who was willing to invest with him.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk