Author Topic: Competition  (Read 10532 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Competition
« on: November 12, 2011, 09:06:21 PM »
Looks like MB and Gun Stories has some "competition".

The Military Channel is presenting a 6-part series starting 11/30 called Triggers: Weapons that changed the world. It's hosted by Wil Willis, who also was the operator in the MC Special Ops Mission series. I liked Willis in SOM, personable and seemingly knowledgeable.

They're running trailers on MC now, but there is nothing on their website at the moment. Here's what I found online:

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2011/10/27/wil-willis-gives-viewers-military-history-and-high-speed-action-in-military-channels-explosive-new-series-triggers-weapons-that-changed-the-world-583302/20111027military01/

Here's an excerpt from the promo blurb.

""As an expert on weaponry, coupled with his inside knowledge of the military, Wil Willis brings unique insight into how the development of each of these weapons has changed history forever," said Ed Hersh, SVP of content strategy for Military Channel. "TRIGGERS allows our viewers to get up close and personal with powerful and historical weapons they might not have the opportunity to otherwise explore."

In each episode of TRIGGERS, Willis is joined by historical and technical experts to test a series of iconic firearms and examine what made each one unique from competitors in its class. Gun-mounted cameras and high-speed photography capture every moment of the bullet's trajectory, featuring its explosive escape from the barrel to the powerful force the impact makes on its target. Each weapon has an antecedent that sparked its development, as well as a successor that improved upon its technology - or was developed in response to its supremacy. Each was developed for one reason: to gain a competitive edge over the enemy, and the winner was the biggest, best or fastest weapon.

In the premiere episode, Willis examines handguns and focuses on the most influential gun of the 20th Century: the COLT M1911 - the .45 caliber semi-automatic sidearm that was the standard issue for the military for nearly 75 years."

Emphasis from Pathfinder  - where have I seen that before? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Competition
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 02:02:52 PM »
Hi;

I will be interested in watching these episodes and compare the way they tell the story. This is just like in hollywood, they remake some of the movies over and over and give it a newer fresher spin.

WatchManUSA

• NRA Life Member - Join the NRA!
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 09:52:19 PM »
I think I have read Michael say befor that, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

I'm sure it is said with tongue firmly placed in cheek.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies." (Groucho Marx)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:28:58 AM »
OK, so I am watching my DVR'd copy of the first episode of Triggers. Breathe easy, MB. Here's my take so far.

Hour length - good.

Wil calling the M1911 a Colt 45? - BAD!!

Lame-ass copying of Top Shot for the final run - lame-ass

Historical review and shooting of old time stuff like Lugars, wheellocks, flintlocks, pepperbox, duckfoot, 1836 Colt Patterson (awesome!), Colt Peacemaker, etc. - very cool, but all only marginally related to the 1911; nice review though especially of the mechanics of each technology shift.

Ballistics gel comparisons in slo-mo - always very cool!

Feather tattoo on the inside wrist of the Marine sniper on the show, Grant Reynolds - nice touch

Generally well written, not as lame dialog as on other shows, conversations didn't seem forced or over rehearsed. All in all, not as good as Gun Stories, but a solid B grade.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

edmunddavidson

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 05:09:11 AM »
I will be interested in watching these episodes and compare the way they tell the story.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:22:22 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 05:35:44 AM »
The 1911 is a fine pistol.
I LIKE the 1911.
But I am sick , unto death of hearing about the G-D thing .
You can not pick up a gun magazine, or watch a gun related show with out some mention of the 1911.
It's been around for 101 years ENOUGH ALREADY.
Lets hear about something different .

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:48:34 PM »
Before Gun Stories was Mail Call.  And before MC I'm sure there was something else.   GS narrowed the plot down to small arms, but still similar ideas.   GS added a number of really neat things (like very high speed photography). 
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 09:53:41 AM »
The 1911 is a fine pistol.
I LIKE the 1911.
But I am sick , unto death of hearing about the G-D thing .
You can not pick up a gun magazine, or watch a gun related show with out some mention of the 1911.
It's been around for 101 years ENOUGH ALREADY.
Lets hear about something different .

But some of us shower with them on our hip  ;D
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

tombogan03884

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 10:16:46 AM »
But some of us shower with them on our hip  ;D

That's nice, but I hope to God you don't have video of it.
The 1911 is a popular pistol, whoopie doo.
To watch these stupid gun shows you would think the only pistols ever made were the "Peacemaker" (AKA Single Action Army )
the Luger, the 1911 and the Glock.
Fact is, not one of them were particularly innovative, every one of them was an application of existing technology.
The SAA was just a cartridge adaptation of the earlier percussion Colts, the Luger was a refinement of the earlier Borchardt, JMB had been designing and selling semi automatic pistols for 10 years before he produced the 1911 and the Glock built on development work done by Steyr.
Let's hear about some of those, or some of the truly innovative pistols like the Starr, double action percussion revolver, or even the Walther P - 38, the first double action semi auto adopted for military issue .
 Or how about the "Puckle gun" ?
I bet most here never even heard of it, but it was the original rotating barrel ancestor of the Gatling, circa 1718 .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk