Poll

Outside of ammo, do you think we're going to have more widespread shortages over the next several years and possibly beyond?

Yes.
4 (23.5%)
No.
0 (0%)
Yes and food shortages may begin to hit next year.
2 (11.8%)
Yes, food and a lot of other things will be short too.
11 (64.7%)
No.  All of this is temporary.
0 (0%)
No.  There are currently no shortages and there won't be any.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: S H O R T A G E S  (Read 10202 times)

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 582
Re: S H O R T A G E S
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2022, 10:23:05 PM »
It could be worse.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2022, 03:31:50 AM »
It could be worse.

You have seen  the pics. been taking the misses car to work.  Rental cars are not available.  I even went to the Ford dealer and tried to buy new, but they did not have what I wanted in stock and there was none with in 500 miles.    Used trucks are even harder to come by.  I found 1 I like, but they want more than they paid for it new.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 886
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2022, 02:12:55 PM »
You have seen  the pics. been taking the misses car to work.  Rental cars are not available.  I even went to the Ford dealer and tried to buy new, but they did not have what I wanted in stock and there was none with in 500 miles.    Used trucks are even harder to come by.  I found 1 I like, but they want more than they paid for it new.

Fifteen months ago I purchased a new 2020 Traverse for my wife, and last September I bought a new 2022 Equinox for myself.  Owner of the dealership called me last week with an offer.  I can up grade to brand new on either or both for zero cost.  Only out of pocket to the dealership would be for better quipped than we have on these two.  Of course, the State gets involved with their transfer fees, and since Pritzker decided to punish the rich, there would be sales tax*.  I decided not to do it, but that is how tough used is to come by and why used costs more than new.

* In Illinois trading cars isn't as simple as just paying tax on the difference.  If you trade is worth more than $10K, you pay sales tax on all above $10K.  You also pay sales tax on all program discounts and redemption of perks from stores (Costco, Sams, etc.) or credit card dollars (your bonus on your GM Card that you redeem).

Except for a Yamaha 750 Special that I bought new in April 1979, these are the first new vehicles I have ever bought and owned.  I guess I just don't have enough of a new car bug in me.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2022, 12:16:29 PM »
All the green leafy veggies locally are gone, bulk, pre packaged, it does not matter.   I even went into Wal-Mart to find some, they are out too.  I have also heard there is am instant noodle shortage. The local winco has the isle they normally have them in lined with a single depth row of stock.  To make the shelf look full, but its not. 20' of 5 shelf with cartons of stock still looks pretty damn empty.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2022, 11:56:12 AM »
All the green leafy veggies locally are gone, bulk, pre packaged, it does not matter.   I even went into Wal-Mart to find some, they are out too.  I have also heard there is am instant noodle shortage. The local winco has the isle they normally have them in lined with a single depth row of stock.  To make the shelf look full, but its not. 20' of 5 shelf with cartons of stock still looks pretty damn empty.

So...assuming this was Wednesday or Thursday when you posted that's to me shaping up as a "real" shortage that portends to an extended shortage of those items and possibly others.  I probably need to go out and get fertilizer and such for my garden now to make certain I have what is needed.

Sponsor

« Reply #55 on: Today at 07:23:21 PM »

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2022, 12:36:00 PM »
I think it was mainly due to weather.  There were nasty storms her an in the ca central valley( were a good chunk of the nation's produce is grown) 

I should call my brother.  He does food packing scales he would know who is down and who is operating/ why.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2022, 05:48:32 PM »
That would be a very interesting datapoint.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2022, 08:01:18 AM »
Anhydrous ammonia used as nitrogen fertilizer has jumped up from around $500 to $1,500 per ton.  There is going to be a lot of conversion of farm cropland from corn to soybeans this year if that price holds (much like 2007-2008).  Provided conversion to soybeans happens (less nitrogen needed) we'll see corn prices shoot up.

Take a look at what's in your pantry and see how many items have corn in them.  So..on top of inflation we may well see a price increase on top. 

Provided of course that the farmers don't just decide to allow yields to fall way back which and drop most of the fertilizer which would really affect the harvest.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2022, 10:31:06 AM »
Don't forget meat prices  corn is fed to just about every thing.

Rastus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2022, 06:48:08 PM »
Don't forget meat prices  corn is fed to just about every thing.

Absolutely.  I'll be a buyer of calves this year because they will be cheap.  I picked up some fertilizer and I'll be planting my own feed corn this year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk