Author Topic: Ghost Ring Sights  (Read 4685 times)

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Ghost Ring Sights
« on: April 25, 2008, 02:13:02 AM »
Ordered my scatter gun to day and was going to get the ghost ring sights but decided to save the 100 bucks . I thought why have them any way for a scatter gun , the spread will be enough to cover what the bead is on any way and by the size of the slug if I put the bead on a target and miss then the damm bead ain't on the target. What do you all think to have or not to have?  I can always get them for less than $70.00 and but them on my self later on. Thanks for your opinion.
Back up guns---Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Re: Ghost Ring Sights
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 06:24:03 AM »
Ordered my scatter gun to day and was going to get the ghost ring sights but decided to save the 100 bucks . I thought why have them any way for a scatter gun , the spread will be enough to cover what the bead is on any way and by the size of the slug if I put the bead on a target and miss then the damm bead ain't on the target. What do you all think to have or not to have?  I can always get them for less than $70.00 and but them on my self later on. Thanks for your opinion.

Contrary to public opinion, you do need to aim a shotgun - get the ghost rings, add fibre-optic, either is far better than the front bead. Your plan is exactly what I did with my Mossy 590 - I added some aftermarket ghost rings.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 10:21:31 AM »
Contrary to public opinion, you do need to aim a shotgun - get the ghost rings, add fibre-optic, either is far better than the front bead. Your plan is exactly what I did with my Mossy 590 - I added some aftermarket ghost rings.

Thanks Pathfinder, the mossy 590 with its 20" barrel and 9 round tube is just what I ordered I know that the types are pretty easy to put on and I will probably go that way . when I lived in the motor city I used to go to Livingston gun club and do the bowling pin shoots with a 500and I just put the bead on the pin and let it go. Now I am looking for another range that offers the same thing.

Dharmaeye

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »
I got a weaver mount (cheap) and put a red dot sight on my mossey - also a knox stock.
Both eyes open red dots work really well with shotguns.

Lucas

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 08:21:06 PM »
I have to say I'm rather partial to my bead.  I guess that might be because I have been using them all my life.  Or it could be the fact that when in its saddle holster (scabbard),  it is a much easier draw.  I have tried the ghost rings on my uncle's,  and I do like them,  I just really like the lower profile that the bead gives you.  When walking through miles of dead fall and pine trees it definatly helps a little.  Now as for a red dot,  thats sounds like fun.  Might have to try that someday.
By the ring of our swords, and the flash of our cannons, they will know that We Are Free

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:33:04 PM »

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 08:42:27 PM »
Have several scatter guns, and all have just the front sight. My favorite is my Rem 870 tactical, whether with slugs or buckshot, or bird shot, I've gotten used to the front sight.

However, I am curious to try some optic on one, just need to be exposed to trying it,.. Good Luck, and let us know how it works out.

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 09:02:44 PM »
I will disagree with pathfinder and agree with Lucas, and put 2 cents of my own experience in here.. The shotgun is pointed not aimed, it has been around a few hundred years and perfected. Hitting birds going 60 mph is not going to happen with any kind of  ghost ring sight. Nothing is faster than a bead, red dot sights are close but unreliable, unless you go with a milspec version like an aimpoint. If your primary goal is using slugs, then a front and rear sight system may be in order. But for defense, stick with the front sight only, bead, post or otherwise. The old remington buckhorn rear sight with a front bead is adjustable and not too bad, if  you think your going to use slugs alot. I bought into the ghost ring thing many years ago, used it for a year and a half. I shoot tactical competition, and it slowed me way down. I shoot against one man who is very good and is a professional, with the ghost rings, ( and I tried Scattergun technologies, and the now AO versions ) good sighting systems but too slow. This man would beat me by 4 seconds in a tournament, and his protege by 2 seconds,, when I went back to a bone stock bead, it reversed, I beat him by 2 seconds, and his protoge by 4 seconds.. Lesson learned. I would recommend a good lighting system and a tritium bead for home defense. I was trained by a very good instructor from the MId South shooting institute who proved you could hit a piece of note book paper I think that is 8 1/2 x 11" at 50 yards on demand with a bead sight, and a cylinder bore shotgun which is issued to most law enforcement, and a bead front sight.   It has worked for me.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

gunman1911

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger Emeritus
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2008, 06:07:56 PM »
After reviewing the posts here and from prior experience I think I'll stick to the front sight and just change  out to the Hi-viz. Thanks for everyone's help with this quandrey.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk