Author Topic: Lever or AR for ME? Need your advice.  (Read 16331 times)

Ksail101

• Airborne all the way!!!
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Lever or AR for ME? Need your advice.
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 10:36:20 PM »
Thanks I am working toward the lever gun for sure. From everyone here and people I have talked to I would be happier. I will get the AR as well and I may need to get it sooner than expected, but for this summer it will be all about the lever gun. Havent decided on the model so I could always go for the advice. I really like the .357\.38 idea and will most likely go with that this time. I would like a carbine length but if this is not smart please say so. I am not really going to do much long distance so 100\150yrd range is all I really will need. Well maybe I might be wrong dont know exactly how far they shoot out to in cowboy action. So your thoughts on brand and model are all great if you have more please continue.

I will in the future love a .44 mag 16" barrel carbine lever gun tho. So thanks Mr. Bane for saying something. I think I read an article from Sheriff Jim Wilson who talked about carrying one like this as his carbine on the job. I wish I could remember the article and will look for it and give the details about it. So yes that is my dream lever. But I am looking for quality, one time buy gun, and keeping cost down on bullets so I can shoot it now. Maybe in a couple years when i have a little more money, hopefully , I will look to this. But for now the .357 will do.
Did we win???

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 07:59:08 PM »
Ksail, You can't go wrong with a 92 replica lever gun in .357 You might want to check out The "Race Ready " rifles that Nate Kiowa Jones sells, They have already been slicked up and will work EVERY time. Check out his website I think You'll be happy with one of his rifles

http://stevesgunz.com/
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

tumblebug

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 08:20:37 PM »
 Pump action rifles are neat to just to complicate things.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 08:33:26 PM »
Get the one that gives you the biggest woodie. Every time I go gun shopping with a couple of things in mind that really light me up, but I come home with something that I "logically" decided would be good, I'm always a little sorry I didn't get the one that made me giggle.
Get the one that excites you the most.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Wheelgun Dunn

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 08:34:47 PM »
Ksail,

Here are my two cents after shooting Cowboy for about six years and owning a Marlin, Model 92 and a model 66.  I would choose the Marlin in .357 magnum in a rifle not a carbine.  The Marlin is quick and can be slicked up nicely.  The 92 can be slicked up but it is hard to run it fast in a cowboy match no matter how well it is slicked up.  The model 66's and 73's are typically the fastest but about $1000 dollars or a little more when slicked up and race ready and not the best choice for a gun for hunting compared to the Marlin with a modern safety and a much safer bolt locking mechanism for heavy hunting loads.  Also be careful if you buy a Marlin .357 to load .357 cases for it if you handload.  You can load them down a little for cowboy shooting, but if you try to shoot .38 specials in it thy tend to have feeding issues because the cases are shorter.  I definitely agree to get the rifle and revolvers in the same caliber, as this makes your life much easier at the loading table.  Also be sure and get the lever cam rounded so as not to fall victim to the dreaded Marlin jam (been there done that!)  The Marlin cam on the lever is sharp and over time it will wear a groove in the lifter (or carrier) in the action of the gun and eventually it sticks in the groove it created when you are shooting, and jams the gun.  This is easily fixed by simply removing the lever and slightly rounding the cam with a stone to avoid this issue.  If the gun is new do this or have it done before you shoot the gun.  Also if you are a little hesitant to buy an AR for cost and memory reasons consider a Ruger Mini 14 as they are cheaper and still fun to shoot.  Now before everyone drops a bomb on me I am not comparing an AR to a Mini-14, I know the accuracy and quality are very different but it is an acceptable alternative that may allow you to afford both and not have to worry about the bad memories associated with the AR.  Also it gets you a dreaded "Black" rifle before the rapidly liberalizing govt. tries to take them away.  By the way thank you for your service to our country.  God Bless you for putting on the uniform, picking up a rifle and standing between us citizens and the terrorists who threaten our land and way of life.  Thank you. Good luck with your decision!  Hope some of this helped!

Wheelgun

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:20:11 PM »

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2008, 09:36:01 PM »
Darn, Wheelgun...I wish you were wrong! All of us are sweating the November Apocalypse...that's why I'm backing McCain...as Kim du Toit said, "I love my country more than I hate McCain..."

That said, Jay says it best...they're all good...get the one you like. And I'd like to come down 100% on having Steve's Gunz slick up your lever gun. Steve Young is a master of the lever gun. I shot one of Steve's '92s in cowboy competition, and yes, it's not as fast as some of the trick guns, but I like it. Steve also did my Legacy .44 for the upcoming Wild Bunch match...you can see photos on my blog.

Michael B

Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 08:19:26 AM »
My recommendation would be to purchase the AR and it's based solely on the potential political climate.

If any type of restrictions or ban goes into effect, Lever actions rifles will most likely be left out of any legislation.  You will most likely still be able to purchase a Lever action rifle for a reasonable price regardless of the political climate.

AR rifles on the other hand are one of the primary targets for anti-gun legislation.  I would run out today and start looking for one.  As the election gets closer, there will be a lot of panic buying that will drive up the prices and if Obama does win the election, the panic will continue regardless of whether or not there is any real potential for anti-gun legislation to be enacted.

I would buy a rifle now and work to buy another couple of stripped receivers to put in the safe for a "rainy" day.  Even if you need to sell the rifle in the future for financial reasons, you'll most likely get your money out of the rifle and quite possibly get more than you paid, but only if you purchase now before the panic starts.

Along with that, I would also recommend that you start laying in a good supply of hi-cap magazines.  Prices are dirt cheap right now, but that can/will change quickly.  My philosophy is quite simple....but the mags, the gun will come.  I have bunches of magazines for guns I don't even own, but, have considered purchasing sometime in the future.  Anybody remember the days of $150 for a glock mag? (currently running about $19 per mag.)  I do, and I'm not going to get caught like that again.

USSA-1
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

Ksail101

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 07:11:03 PM »
Upon the eve of great disruption of the two things I hold close and fought for (this country and our right to bare arms), I have chose to buy an AR before November. I am going with a Rock River product most likely. I have not decided upon a model but I am looking at an "m- forgery." That is what I trained with and what I am used to. As to the memories it may bring up upon looking at it, will be something for me to tackle and try and work through. It is not so much all the bad memories, as it is the loss of the camaraderie and love I felt from my brethren that I have not ever felt again since. I wish at times that all men\women would be forced, at the age of 18, to enlist for two years serving our country. Weather that means Military, Police force (of some kind), or a community service. I wish all could feel that feeling of being with your boys when you got no-one else and all the petty things of the world don't matter, such as politics, drama, and always famous, one man is better than the other somehow problem the world seems to have. No I am talking about all that mattering is life and making it back to somewhere that you love and willing to do whatever to help the person next to you cause you know he is doing the same. It is hard for me rightnow in this country that I fought for. No job worth a damn, everyone here where I live seems to be divided weather it is the Prez. campaign or on down to the color of your skin, in some cases. There is no cohesion.  Along with these thoughts  I will have a whole lot of fun with friends and family wasting rounds down range, and possibly saving my life. And yes for me, a rifle can bring upon all these thoughts. And yet I may be denied in a year or less to purchase one. So as for my cowboy action dreams and my thoughts of being called some cool name as "Lead Dispenser" or " Two Guns Sailand," as I so may be named, must be put on hold till a later date. This summers blood, sweat, and tears will be towards that High Tech Rifle of my dreams. I am not down at all, in fact I am excited to finally have a decision, I just wish I could have had more of a say in it, but times are going to get tough as I believe along with everyone else so this is what I must do. I thank everyone's input into all this and it has all been great. I now know the type of lever gun and wheel gun I will buy someday and now know what my next firearm will be. So while I am throwin' brass all over in my semi auto I will be thinking about our country and the Men I fought with. Thank you all.
Did we win???

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 08:02:49 PM »
My recommendation would be to purchase the AR and it's based solely on the potential political climate.............
This is where I come down.  If it disturbs you, leave it in the box a while; as it seems from your thread you are bravely coming to grips with the past loss in your life.  You've said a lot and I appreciate your sacrifice. 

I'm going to say you are an honest man and go the extra mile.  Private message me your name and address and come this weekend I'll put up the first $100 towards that lever you want in the mail.

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

Ksail101

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 08:46:15 PM »
Hey Rastus- I wrote you on the PM. Thank you that truely means alot, but there is no way I could ever accept that from you. Although it is one of the nicest gestures anyone has put forth to me, I just would never feel right taking someone elses money. I will work for it. Though it may take me till next year, I will get it. I dont need the rifle, I want it. There are other things in this world that could warrent your 100 dollars. Its your personal money. Thank you, and like I wrote to you in your PM these words I write in no way express my gratitude and really shows that people in this lifestyle truely are worth fighting for. -Ksail
Did we win???

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk