Author Topic: What's the best semi auto riot gun ?  (Read 20605 times)

GeorgeCook

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: What's the best semi auto riot gun ?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2013, 01:47:15 PM »
...I figure that the odds are good that I might screw up in any situation stressful enough that I need to use it. I don't want to add the possibility of a mechanical malfunction to the mix. Frankly, even if the price points were the same I'd choose a pump. If I could have any shotgun made for HD (as in you won a raffle go to the rack and pick one) it would be a mossy 590A1 with ghost rings and a light. You can keep the thousand dollar semis. But that's just me.

+1
I shot a 590A1, with ghost ring sights, and a 14" barrel at Rogers Shooting School a few years back. That was one heck of a setup. Obviously a 14" barrel is NFA territory, but one setup with a 16" barrel would be sweet too.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2013, 01:58:12 PM »
FWiw I have seen alot of short stroke jams with pumps.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2013, 02:01:15 PM »
+1
I shot a 590A1, with ghost ring sights, and a 14" barrel at Rogers Shooting School a few years back. That was one heck of a setup. Obviously a 14" barrel is NFA territory, but one setup with a 16" barrel would be sweet too.

I know it's nit picking, and possibly even a typo on George's part, but on shot guns the limit is 18, not 16 like with rifles.
It was dreamed up by politicians, you don't expect it to be simple and sensible do you ?

FWiw I have seen alot of short stroke jams with pumps.

As to TAB's comment, you can use maintenance to reduce the chance of mechanical failure, especially with modern, simpler actions, but if the Gods have ruled against you even a SXS will fail sometimes .

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 02:01:29 PM »
+1
Its got to be 18" to be legal with a shotty.

GeorgeCook

• Liked:
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 02:06:50 PM »
I know it's nit picking, and possibly even a typo on George's part, but on shot guns the limit is 18, not 16 like with rifles.
It was dreamed up by politicians, you don't expect it to be simple and sensible do you ?

Nah, I just got it wrong. I appreciate you and Quaker correcting me on that one....  :)

Note to Feds: I'm not your next "Randy Weaver" candidate, look elsewhere.   ;)

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:13:14 PM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2013, 08:36:47 PM »
in 30+ years of practical shooting game playing, reliability has been a constant goal... at 65, I may not get to shoot many more, so don't want to have mechanical problems ... screwed the pooch at Ft Benning in 2010 with bad choice of cheap ammo... but that aside, I humbly submit the most reliable mix I've found.... coupled to a Glock G34 with Heinie sights, and a non captured guide rode and ISMI spring... a 21" Benelli M1S90 and 16" AR with TA31F ACOG.....

DeltaM

• Liked:
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2013, 09:17:08 PM »
I have a Model 1100 I bought approx. 45 years ago, used a bicycle for my ride. Had a saddle scabbard on my 26" bicycle.  Literally thousands of rounds through it.  The only time it failed me was when it was dirty, raining on a duck hunt with wet paper shells or the Italian made shotgun shells I bought for dove hunting at the local drug store (yes, a drug store).  Guns were not the taboo thing they are reported to be now.  For a cheap gun, my 1100 would be my first choice for an auto.  My first choice of a defense shotgun would be my short barrel Browning over/under (barrels are just barely legal).  My hunting barrels for the Browning are of better quality.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk