Author Topic: Finally used my C&R FFL today  (Read 8903 times)

Timothy

Re: Finally used my C&R FFL today
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »
It's a maneuver by a Russian sub to throw off any one trying to follow.
It involves a bunch of radical course and depth changes.

(Capt. Marko Ramias Used it in the IGUK GIUK gap when he defected with the Krasny Oktobre  ;D  )

Something I've witness (acoustically) on a hundred occasions.  The "I" in GIUK is Iceland where I spent a year chasing Ivans for a living.  The others are Greenland and the United Kingdom...

Also called "clearing the baffles", it's actually a 90-180 course change to port or starboard to check for enemy subs that might be following as the sonar equipment is mounted in the bow of the boat.  What Tom refers to is called "angles and dangles" which was used to shake a tailing submarine!

Remember Tom, Hunt for Red October is a work of fiction, nothing more!  Clancy was not too sure of what he was speaking about at that time.  He gained a bit of intel after the publishing of that novel and the following books were better, at least technically!

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 09:07:31 PM »
I was thinking about getting a .32acp cylinder for it.  How did it work?

It was alright. At the time I bought it, it cost more than the pistol.  I thought it would enable me to shoot the pistol more often, but the problem wasn't the ammo availability, it's that the 32 (not magnums) is a seriously whimpy cartridge. It just got boring. I hung on to the pistol for several years because I liked the look of the European designed revolvers, and had a collection for a period of time.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

tombogan03884

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 09:36:01 PM »
Something I've witness (acoustically) on a hundred occasions.  The "I" in GIUK is Iceland where I spent a year chasing Ivans for a living.  The others are Greenland and the United Kingdom...

Also called "clearing the baffles", it's actually a 90-180 course change to port or starboard to check for enemy subs that might be following as the sonar equipment is mounted in the bow of the boat.  What Tom refers to is called "angles and dangles" which was used to shake a tailing submarine!

Remember Tom, Hunt for Red October is a work of fiction, nothing more!  Clancy was not too sure of what he was speaking about at that time.  He gained a bit of intel after the publishing of that novel and the following books were better, at least technically!

I'm disgusted with Clancy.
I'm reading his latest "Against All Enemies", he talks about how the drug cartels are getting tons of weapons from the US, there have been some other things that show he doesn't know crap about guns.

Timothy

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2011, 03:57:47 AM »
I'm disgusted with Clancy.
I'm reading his latest "Against All Enemies", he talks about how the drug cartels are getting tons of weapons from the US, there have been some other things that show he doesn't know crap about guns.

I haven't read anything of his in ten years or so.  I had a first edition signed copy of Red October, I may still have it around here somewhere.

BAC

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2011, 06:07:02 AM »
I haven't read anything of his in ten years or so.  I had a first edition signed copy of Red October, I may still have it around here somewhere.

Unfortunately the only book of his I read was "Red Rabbit" a few years ago.  It took a long time to slog through that brick.  Turned me off to Clancy ever since.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:26:12 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2011, 07:53:30 AM »
He's had some really good ones, ( Hunt for Red October, Clear and present Danger, Rainbow Six) but he's had some real duds to, (Red Rabbit  ;D  )

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2011, 08:07:21 AM »
From C&R to Clancy.  I think we have a bit of.........

;D
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tombogan03884

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2011, 08:15:09 AM »
SOP on the "Short attention span Forum"   ;D

Most of the stuff I've read about the Nagant pistol indicated it was a great revolver but the cartridge was so under powered it was good for little other than target shooting or popping dissidents in the back of the head.

Don't tell me "Oh but it must of been great, it went through both world wars", of course it did, it was what they had.

BAC

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2011, 07:25:06 PM »
Now all I need is a Red Army uniform:

tombogan03884

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 11:05:14 PM »
Skip the uniform, just get vodka  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk