Author Topic: Good vs Bad Ammo  (Read 9846 times)

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Good vs Bad Ammo
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2009, 01:57:22 PM »
I take it you mean by progressive the loaders that can rotate a round to through all the different stages without removing it? I like those ones and it would be the kind I will get.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 02:01:37 PM »
If I ever up grade I will keep the single stage for load development, but would probably not use it for runs of more than 20 or 40 rounds.

Very good point I neglected to make. A progressive machine does not negate the need for a single stage press for the reason you stated. I always work up a load on my single stage, (I have both a RCBS Rockchucker and a Redding T-7 Turret for that purpose), and prove it out at the range, before going into "high production" with it on my progressive.   Bill T.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »
Thanks, Bill for breaking it down into money saved/time spent. That's one thing I always wondered about. I never knew if reloading was worth the time spent. Now I see it is. One of these days I need to buy some tools and reload my bushel of brass.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Thanos

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2009, 08:49:43 PM »
Thanks, Bill for breaking it down into money saved/time spent. That's one thing I always wondered about. I never knew if reloading was worth the time spent. Now I see it is. One of these days I need to buy some tools and reload my bushel of brass.

If you have already reloaded enough you will eventually pay for your equipment. I am sure that Bill has done so already, but you should factor that into any equation of value of reloading too. I think you would be able to pay for it in short order depending how much you shoot and reload.

I know my Stepdad has more than made up for the price he paid for his 20 years ago. And he had truckloads of ammo.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2009, 08:53:03 PM »
working up a loading is easier on a progressive then it is on a single stage... no die changeds needed.  

With rifle its does not take too long to pay for the gear, for the more common pistol rounds... well lets just say I did the math awhile ago... to pay for my 1050 + kiss bullet feeder and the rest of the gear i was looking at 80k rounds of  45 acp. 
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:47:12 AM »

wisconsin

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »
I take it you mean by progressive the loaders that can rotate a round to through all the different stages without removing it? I like those ones and it would be the kind I will get.
I use a Dillion 650 and love it. But you better be focused on reloading and nothing else. When I start reloading I tell the wife to leave me alone. No honey do jobs. I learned my lesson the hard way once. The 650 was my first press. You might say I jumped in with both feet. Believe it not Dillion will also answer reloading questions as I'm sure other may. Good luck its an investment you can't wrong with
" I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."   John Wayne

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2009, 12:27:22 PM »
working up a loading is easier on a progressive then it is on a single stage... no die changeds needed.  

With rifle its does not take too long to pay for the gear, for the more common pistol rounds... well lets just say I did the math awhile ago... to pay for my 1050 + kiss bullet feeder and the rest of the gear i was looking at 80k rounds of  45 acp. 

You need to shoot more if you are going to get that paid for.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk