Author Topic: Wiley Clapp GP100  (Read 37173 times)

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1089
Re: Wiley Clapp GP100
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2011, 01:03:09 PM »
Doesn't the .357 have a higher percentage of one shot stops than any other caliber?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Timothy

« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »
Doesn't the .357 have a higher percentage of one shot stops than any other caliber?

Yes!  That discussion is around the archives somewhere.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »

That's from Handgun Stopping Power by Evan Marshall & Ed Sanow.
Using fuzzy math and even fuzzier methodology they assigned a percentage to "one shot stops." The stats guys have stated for years that M&S used stats and conclusions that didn't make any sense.
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Timothy

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2011, 01:38:35 PM »
Mitch, somewhere in the past someone posted an article written by a Metro Coroner that pretty much confirmed the data.  I never researched the validity but knowing the ballistics of the round it made sense.  It is true that bullet technology is advancing pretty quickly so in the future, the data may get diluted with other calibers.

Either way, I carried a .357 snubby in a pants pocket for over a year everywhere I went with no trouble at all.  If I was a scrawny little fella that might make a difference.

fullautovalmet76

« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »
.357, .44, .41, .45, .40, .22LR: All I know is I don't want to be on the business end of these little buggers no matter what.....They're all going to hurt!....

Sponsor

« Reply #65 on: Today at 11:55:00 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »
.357, .44, .41, .45, .40, .22LR: All I know is I don't want to be on the business end of these little buggers no matter what.....They're all going to hurt!....

True...but if I was calling the shots, everyone I faced in a gunfight would be packing a Bobcat in .22 LR.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2011, 02:57:19 PM »
Mitch, somewhere in the past someone posted an article written by a Metro Coroner that pretty much confirmed the data.  I never researched the validity but knowing the ballistics of the round it made sense.  It is true that bullet technology is advancing pretty quickly so in the future, the data may get diluted with other calibers.

It might depend on which years data. 1992, 1996 or 2000. I don't know the ins and outs of the different years but the '92 study has been thrashed - rightly so or not. I'm not into statistics so I can't look at their tables and say "Oh that's not right."

We all know placement is King above all other considerations. (well, right behind "Have a gun!)
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2011, 05:46:58 PM »
It might depend on which years data. 1992, 1996 or 2000. I don't know the ins and outs of the different years but the '92 study has been thrashed - rightly so or not. I'm not into statistics so I can't look at their tables and say "Oh that's not right."

We all know placement is King above all other considerations. (well, right behind "Have a gun!)

Agreed!   :o  ;)

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2011, 07:26:16 PM »

Either way, I carried a .357 snubby in a pants pocket for over a year everywhere I went with no trouble at all.  If I was a scrawny little fella that might make a difference.

I think this is the link you referenced.
http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal%20Ballistics%20as%20viewed%20in%20a%20morgue.htm

tombogan03884

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2011, 08:28:22 PM »
Interesting.

FTA;
"But then, I've seen most everything. I've seen a guy killed by a .416 Rigby, as well as a suicide to the head with a .44 Mag that didn't penetrate the skull on the other side.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk