Author Topic: Advise, experience with resizing  (Read 5881 times)

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Advise, experience with resizing
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:52:03 PM »
I was resizing some .308 brass last night, and I had 2 cases that came out of the die almost fluted around shoulder. I've never had this happen before, anyone know what may have caused this?

I did a little trouble shooting, here's what I eliminated:

No debris in the die
Cases were not over length
Properly lubed with no lube on the neck
Die was installed in the press properly

I'm at a loss as to why this happened. It seemed like the shoulder was going too far into the die and being compressed, but if this was the case, why only 2 out of 65 when they were all the same batch?
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Advise, experience with resizing
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:12:03 PM »
Fluting of the brass is usually cause by too much lube build up in the die or too much lube on the case. Haven't heard of any other causes.Good luck in your quest.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 01:47:53 PM »
Sounds like over lube to me too.

Here is a link to a picture and then an  article discussing it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/12723954@N05/4596845389/lightbox/

http://forums.thecmp.org/archive/index.php/t-15564.html
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:46 PM »
Perfect, I was suspecting that, but couldn't confirm. I'll clean my die really good before I start up again.

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:56:48 PM »
you might want to try the method I use when resizing rifle brass,I split the brass and lube 1/2 of them, then alternate between lubed and unlubed,That way you don't get the build up of lube in your dies.If the dry brass goes in real hard then try every 3rd round dry.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:11:16 AM »

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 03:21:17 PM »
you might want to try the method I use when resizing rifle brass,I split the brass and lube 1/2 of them, then alternate between lubed and unlubed,That way you don't get the build up of lube in your dies.If the dry brass goes in real hard then try every 3rd round dry.

Was actually doing that! It's a great idea, although I did it just to save having to lube EVERY case.

GASPASSERDELUXE

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
You may want to invest in a stuck case remover if you are going to lube every other case.  I know.

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 05:15:39 PM »
I have one. It has seen action.  :-[

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 01:15:23 AM »
Yes, the dented case is because of too much lube.
I would not alternate lubing, a stuck case will be the result, and probably damage to the primer removal pin.
I do suggest using the Hornady one shot lube, lightly sprayed about half way up the case.  You still need to lube the inside of the case neck. The one shot lube has replaced the lube on a pad method, and not as messy, and alot faster. I just had to invest in several MTM loading trays for the process. These trays are only used to lube the cases. I use the RCBS case loading blocks when loading ammo.
One thing I do is closely monitor the cases while resizing the cases. You can see the lube building up, so before the case starts to dent, just remove the die from the press, unscrew the primer removal shaft, and wipe out the inside of the die with a clean rag and solvent.  This is what I do.  I just sized 500 .308 win cases.  I highly recommend using a RCBS precision mic (.308 winchester P/N 88329) to set your full length sizing die for minimum case sizing.  It is simple to set up, and used properly, your brass will last alot longer.  I am up to 10 reloads for bolt actions, and AR10. No case failures, and no indications of possible head separations.
I have been reloading for over 50 years. It is a great hobby, and as much as I shoot, target and varmint, it is a big cost saver. Even if the cost of components has gone sky high, its still cheaper than factory, excluding labor. I enjoy doing the process.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk