Author Topic: Hopelessly Right Handed  (Read 3553 times)

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hopelessly Right Handed
« on: February 15, 2014, 07:34:12 AM »
In the latest episode of Best Defense being comfortable with using the weak hand in a tight spot could be a big advantage. Shooting across your body would call for a change in how you protect yourself but it seemed to me it would be a better way to get on target!
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
Re: Hopelessly Right Handed
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
mortdooly,

I have found that shooting position is more important than strong hand versus weak hand.  Several years ago I was at a USPSA match and grumbled when we came to the one stage that always shows up that requires weak hand shooting.  A seasoned shooter told me that this is why you always include a portion of your practice time shooting with the weak hand only.

Two things I took away from Mike Seeklander's portion were:

1.  I must include weak hand shooting, unorthodox positions, and gun transfer techniques in every practice session;

2.  I must be aware of how I set up my practices to mimic the situation I am practicing for - In the car practice I would have put a barrier right in front of me to limit my freedom of movement, and I would have moved the side threat targets more to my rear to better simulate a person in the passenger seat or that approached along side from the rear.

My point, in much shorter form, is, careful and regular practice is the most important item.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk