Author Topic: #7 Shooting from within the car.  (Read 8868 times)

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
#7 Shooting from within the car.
« on: February 12, 2009, 03:47:17 PM »
Hey Rob, not that I disagree with the technique, or a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do, but didn't the muzzle blast try to take your face off, even if the muzzle is forward, I would think the blast would bounce off the windshield and roof. I watched you twice and it obviously did not hurt you, or your real good at not flinching. ;)
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

Rob Pincus

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
    • I.C.E. Training Company
  • Liked:
Re: #7 Shooting from within the car. (muzzle blast?)
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 08:26:10 PM »
M25,

It is a non-issue.  I've done that demo or trained the problem several times and never had a problem or really even noticed it that I remember.

I have also been through and conducted a fair amount of training in Explosive handling and Breaching.... in that venue you learn a lot about dealing with real pressure waves. The "blast" coming out of the muzzle of a defensive handgun, while dramatic in some pictures, isn't really something we need to factor into our Worst Case Scenario Shooting plans for most plausible scenarios.

-RJP

THE CORONER

• SHOOT STRAIGHT, SHOOT OFTEN, AND PROTECT YOUR RIGHT TO SHARE YOUR SPORT WITH THE FUTURE GENERATIONS.
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • DARKWATER FIREARMS AT WILLOW POINT
  • Liked:
Re: #7 Shooting from within the car.
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2009, 11:59:17 PM »
Rob, 

Love the show!  But I have a mild handicap when it comes to alot of what your teaching.  I'm a lefty.  I run different scenarios through my mind on how I would do some of the techniques you teach.  But this episode shakes me to the core.  How does a left handed person make that safe shot through the driver's window from a left handed strong side draw? 

Furthermore; it would be extremely appreciated if you could, when applicable; show some left handed tactical techniques.
Thanks so much!

Eric D. from Ohio
CORONER - SAVAGE 350 SECURITY 12 GA. SHOTGUN
TOETAGGER - WINCHESTER MODEL 94, .30-30
VINDICATOR - RUGER LCP .380 ACP
WIDOWMAKER - RUGER SINGLE SUPER SIX 3-SCREW .22
PLINKALOTER - HERITAGE ROUGH RIDER .22 COMBO 6.5" BRL
BUCKEYE FIREARMS MEMBER
NRA MEMBER

"Governments don't live together, people live together.  With governments you don't always get a fair word or a fair fight.  Well, I've come to give you either one.  Or get either one from you."  Josie Wales

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 01:44:36 AM »
M25,

It is a non-issue.  I've done that demo or trained the problem several times and never had a problem or really even noticed it that I remember.

I have also been through and conducted a fair amount of training in Explosive handling and Breaching.... in that venue you learn a lot about dealing with real pressure waves. The "blast" coming out of the muzzle of a defensive handgun, while dramatic in some pictures, isn't really something we need to factor into our Worst Case Scenario Shooting plans for most plausible scenarios.

-RJP

What about noise ? I don't think any of us drive around with earplugs in.

Rob Pincus

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 09:23:16 AM »
Tom,

Noise is real, but unavoidable. Similarly, the glass-dust from shooting through the side windows *might* be a problem without protective eyewear.... But, when faced with a 100% real lethal threat, you have to balance the risks involved with solving the problem against THAT.

Auditory Exclusion could play a role in terms of short term effect. While the sound waves from the muzzle blast are very real and they could cause real damage to your ear, the actual distraction and pain of the sound may be mitigated by the Auditory Exclusion effect which commonly occurs under critical incident stress. Even most hunters report no "ringing in the ears" after shooting game animals with high power rifles without hearing protection from that level of anxiety and focus. I know that I have never worn ear protection while hunting and only a couple times have I even registered the sound at any significant level.

Coroner,

That question was addressed in this thread: http://www.downrange.tv/forum/index.php?topic=5147.0.
Honestly, this is a serious situation where it makes a difference, but in general, all of the techniques and tactics should work as a mirror image. In the future, however, I will try to address left hand issues when they are significant!

-RJP

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:38:26 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 10:29:11 AM »
Thank's Ron, I had considered auditory exclusion, but was thinking more of long term effects of firing from inside a small space. As you say, got to be alive to be deaf.

bucktracker

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 07:12:05 PM »
Rob,
your technique of shooting through the drivers side window made me wonder if I should get rid of my compensated glockc 20+32 as a carry gun due to muzzle blast and loss of night vision. I never considered tight shooting quarters like that, which is one of many reasons I love the show,it gets me thinking...
what do the pros recommend for a carry gun /caliber, regardless of price. ??? ???

any thoughts??
"Live free or Die"

DonWorsham

• MWAG
  • Top Forum Member
  • I feel more like I do now than I ever did
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 07:58:24 PM »

I don't think any of us drive around with earplugs in.

Not in, but 2 pair laying right there in the middle console...should I have time to put them in.
Don Worsham
Varied Movements Performed Intensely

Rob Pincus

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 08:15:28 PM »
Buck, in the interest of making the forum easy for newcomers to navigate and regulars to use predictably, I'd love for you to start a conversation in the Tactics area in regard to compensated guns in close quarters... I'll definitely chime in. MEanwhile, I think there is already a strong thread on ammo selection... and it usually comes down to personally preference.

DonW:  You are killin' me.

-RJP

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 09:36:51 PM »
Thanks for replying Rob, I know camera angles don't always show the reality, it seemed that the muzzle was at least even with your head, and I would have thought the blast would actually come in contact with your face, at 90 degrees to the muzzle, and once again, you got to do what you got to do, but If the muzzle is behind your head, I would think eye damage would be prominent, yes,you were wearing eye protection, and unfortunately so do I, with my eye prescription, I guess not a bad trade off. My point is kind of like firing from an inside pocket, your going to do it, because it has to be done, but don't be surprised if flames occur, or at least your face gets pock marks.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk