Author Topic: Re: Off-hand Position While Holstering?  (Read 11113 times)

Michael Janich

• CO-HOST ON BEST DEFENSE
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Off-hand Position While Holstering?
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 07:39:45 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad my response "hit the mark."

As for retraining, try working with a plastic training gun and a partner armed with a padded stick or boxing glove. Work through the draw slowly and reprogram your left hand's position. If you forget--or just need reminding--your partner thumps you on the head. The technical term for that is "motivation."

Stay safe,

Mike

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 07:49:58 PM »
If you forget--or just need reminding--your partner thumps you on the head. The technical term for that is "motivation."

My mother was from Naples, Italy......she often practiced these "motivation" techniques.  A wooden spoon or frying pan were typically the implements of choice........ :)
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

tombogan03884

Re: Re: Off-hand Position While Holstering?
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 07:52:09 PM »
Cool place, spent 3 weeks there.

Michael Janich

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 07:48:14 AM »
My Mom was  a wooden spoon fan too...

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2009, 09:53:38 AM »
My Mom was  a wooden spoon fan too...

Michael J.......I'm thinking a Blackhawk Tactical Series of Wooden Spoons for SHOT 2010 (in Ebony).

Followed with accessories like rails, QD mounts, one and two point slings...........Training courses at Blackwater and Gunsite??.......................A Blackhawk/Williams-Sonoma limited edition run??

Lets talk.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

Sponsor

Re: Re: Off-hand Position While Holstering?
« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:30:11 AM »

Frisco

• Ugly, broke down, retired old fart.
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 08:47:15 AM »
My grandmother, who raised me, was a samurai with a wooden spoon.  The woman was 4'11" 90lbs, and had lost her left arm in a ranch fire in the 40's.  I remain firmly convinced to this day that she could have slain an attacking grizzley bear with her wooden spoon.  She also carried a Colt Detective Special in her front apron pocket when doing the banking for Pap's ranch or his gas station.  Bless her heart.

Back on topic:

I have watched your technique.  I have tried over the last couple of weeks to integrate the "guard" into my holstering.  I never gave much conscious thought to my left hand while holstering.  When I "watched" myself, I realized I placed my left hand in a position horizontally across, and about 6" in front of my chest.  I did it all the time.  All it takes is a 90-degree upward and left sweep to get into "guard" position, so I think it will be a fairly easy change to make.  It makes sense to me, the yardstick by which I integrate ANYTHING into my training or shooting, to add some cover to my melon.  Lord knows I don't need anymore dents in the hat rack.

God bless, and sincere thanks to all our fine people in uniform.  You pay for our freedom, and for that we owe you all we can give you.  Thank you.

Michael Janich

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »

Michael J.......I'm thinking a Blackhawk Tactical Series of Wooden Spoons for SHOT 2010 (in Ebony).

Followed with accessories like rails, QD mounts, one and two point slings...........Training courses at Blackwater and Gunsite??.......................A Blackhawk/Williams-Sonoma limited edition run??

Lets talk.

Unfortunately, our R&D funds for 2010 are already committed. Maybe 2011...

Stay safe,

Mike

Michael Janich

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »
I have watched your technique.  I have tried over the last couple of weeks to integrate the "guard" into my holstering.  I never gave much conscious thought to my left hand while holstering.  When I "watched" myself, I realized I placed my left hand in a position horizontally across, and about 6" in front of my chest.  I did it all the time.  All it takes is a 90-degree upward and left sweep to get into "guard" position, so I think it will be a fairly easy change to make.  It makes sense to me, the yardstick by which I integrate ANYTHING into my training or shooting, to add some cover to my melon.  Lord knows I don't need anymore dents in the hat rack.

The horizontal arm position is often applied as an "elbow spear" in close-quarters tactics. The problem with it, in my opinion, is that most people are right handed. Most really angry, homicidal right-handed people attack with gross-motor-skill motions, like "caveman" style forehand or overhand attacks to the head and neck. That means the left side of your head and neck is THE primo target (check out the Philadelphia subway hammer attack on YouTube for a handy illustration). The horizontal arm position does little to provide a barrier against these attacks. A vertical forearm helps a lot. Against attacks from the other side (to the right side of your body), I pivot as a unit to use the back of my left arm as a shield and to keep from muzzle flashing my left elbow.

Keep up the great work!

Stay safe,

Mike

Frisco

• Ugly, broke down, retired old fart.
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 11:07:38 PM »
I did some work with this technique today with my wife, who is current LE.  I was using a training gun, so we were safe.  As you said, I found that I could protect my neck, head, and left eye MUCH better.  One more tool for the toolbox.

I would like to see some techniques for defending from that position.  I worked out a couple, like going into an arm-bar, and a palm strike to her face (NO, I didn't really hit her), but with limited mobility, I felt off balance.  What did work, was crossing over with my right hand, after I holstered, and grabbing the back of her neck, and pulling her head down to a knee in the face.  Something I thought might work, but didn't try it with her was to simply beat her in the face with my pistol...kind of a last resort thing.

Man, it is nice to beat my wife up every now and again...lol.  Since the truth is, she is 6'2" and 185lbs, and is more than a match for most people I have ever met.

If you are ver in the AZ area, and have some techniques for mobility-limited people, I'd sure attend that class.
God bless, and sincere thanks to all our fine people in uniform.  You pay for our freedom, and for that we owe you all we can give you.  Thank you.

Trigger

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 04:59:34 PM »
I must say, I have been a Firearms Instructor for a large Law Enforcement agency for 20+ years and I am so glad  this show is on the Outdoor Channel.

Mike's response was OUTSTANDING, very well done. I have started incorporating it into my personal training, as well as some other tactics from you guy's.

I usually stay away from posting in the forums as my computer skills are limited, (Better to let them think your a fool then open your mouth and prove it) But i just wanted to say I think Rob and Mike are doing a GREAT job on the show. I am a big fan. Keep up the great work and cant wait to see more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk