Author Topic: Modern Leathersmith's, show us what you have built!  (Read 52537 times)

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Modern Leathersmith's, show us what you have built!
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2011, 05:27:24 PM »
Sparky, love it!  Does anyone ever ask for a sweat guard (or whatever you call it) on the mag pouch?

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »
Sparky, beautiful holster and mag pouch.
(all on here are extremely nice, but this one just pops out at me)

Tastefully simple.....and would almost perfectly match a tobacco sunburst guitar I have.  :D  ;)
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

Sparky

• Active Forum Member
    • Midwest Leather Works
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2011, 06:03:41 PM »
Sparky, love it!  Does anyone ever ask for a sweat guard (or whatever you call it) on the mag pouch?

Richard
I have not had anyone request a sweat shield on the mag pouch yet but if they do I would have no problem with that, it would of course be an adder though for the extra leather.  Thanks for the kind feedback.

Insta

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2011, 06:34:10 PM »
A few that I have built. Let me know what you guys think .

Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Very Active Forum Member
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • Liked:
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2011, 07:16:48 PM »
Pretty good stuff there, Insta.
Welcome to the forum too!
DM
Proprietor of Plum Creek Leather Works - Old West Gunleather
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/plumcreekleatherworks.htm
Friend of www.runniron.com
SASS #51139L
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS

Sponsor

« Reply #35 on: Today at 07:30:41 PM »

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2011, 07:57:52 PM »
Insta

Nice detail boning and finishing. I was wondering if there was a reason your stitchlines are so wide from the profile of the weapons?

Insta

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2011, 09:26:48 PM »
Insta

Nice detail boning and finishing. I was wondering if there was a reason your stitchlines are so wide from the profile of the weapons?

To be honest I'm still learning how to space my stitch lines on the pattern the correct way from weapon to weapon . However I have found that when the stitch lines are closer I have issues with the leather having that stretched look where the stitching is at . Also seems to make the holster really tight and hard to break in . Alot of my customers like to have the holster loose and ready to go , if its hard to holster or unholster right off the bat it turns them way off .

kid terico

• Kid Terico
  • Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2011, 09:50:22 PM »
Nice to have you on boarb. Great work your showing. I like the gator. I do a lot of it in inlaid. KT

denster

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2011, 10:47:38 PM »
To be honest I'm still learning how to space my stitch lines on the pattern the correct way from weapon to weapon . However I have found that when the stitch lines are closer I have issues with the leather having that stretched look where the stitching is at . Also seems to make the holster really tight and hard to break in . Alot of my customers like to have the holster loose and ready to go , if its hard to holster or unholster right off the bat it turns them way off .

I understand what you are saying about the stitches being pulled into the leather. That indicates a too close stitchline almost to the point of not being able to force the gun into the wet holster. I have to disagree with a close stitchline making a holster hard to break in. My holsters, when delivered, are tight enough that if you put them on and immediately tried to draw you would end up with your pants line in your armpit. ;D I enclose instructions that the holster should be worn around the house for two to three hours with the gun in before attempting draws. This allows the holster to accomodate to the owners form and how tightly they buckle their belt. Done this way the holster will retain good retention for several years.
A holster that is loose to begin with will have poor retention after a short period of use. I hope you don't take offense at this but you asked what we thought. You show a great deal of talent in your design molding and finishing but the stitchlines really do need to come in. I like them to be 1/8" or less from the perifiery of the weapon this is not too tight and the stitches will not be pulled into the leather.
I use a fairly simple methodology for laying out a stitchline that comes out perfect everytime. If there is any interest I could do a short tutorial with photos when I'm laying out holsters.
Hey Dalton there is an idea a "How do I do that" thread.

Insta

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2011, 11:03:01 PM »
I understand what you are saying about the stitches being pulled into the leather. That indicates a too close stitchline almost to the point of not being able to force the gun into the wet holster. I have to disagree with a close stitchline making a holster hard to break in. My holsters, when delivered, are tight enough that if you put them on and immediately tried to draw you would end up with your pants line in your armpit. ;D I enclose instructions that the holster should be worn around the house for two to three hours with the gun in before attempting draws. This allows the holster to accomodate to the owners form and how tightly they buckle their belt. Done this way the holster will retain good retention for several years.
A holster that is loose to begin with will have poor retention after a short period of use. I hope you don't take offense at this but you asked what we thought. You show a great deal of talent in your design molding and finishing but the stitchlines really do need to come in. I like them to be 1/8" or less from the perifiery of the weapon this is not too tight and the stitches will not be pulled into the leather.
I use a fairly simple methodology for laying out a stitchline that comes out perfect everytime. If there is any interest I could do a short tutorial with photos when I'm laying out holsters.
Hey Dalton there is an idea a "How do I do that" thread.
Shoot man , no offense at all . Always love to learn and I do everyday . A tutorial would be awesome!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk