Author Topic: Blue plastic barrels..  (Read 6322 times)

Tyler Durden

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: Blue plastic barrels..
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 11:40:48 AM »
A gallon of water is 8 pounds so you could have 500 pounds plus up in the attic or 2nd floor. 

Harbor freight sells all kinds of pumps.  Whether they could pump water up to a second floor, I dunno...

http://www.harborfreight.com/barrel-pump-45743.html

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 11:51:50 AM »
I would've guessed that to be much more expensive.. Thank you!!
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1107
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 03:44:39 PM »
Use Google maps.
Go to your area type in barrels.
Also truck (semi - or delivery fleets) will buy their lubricants in them and usually toss them out back.
Will take a little work to get them clean but do able.

Also remember they are PTFE barrels - same same as gas cans - PTFE just red not blue .....  I have four 15 gal blue PTFE that I got for free from a diesel repair shop and am re-purposing them for gasoline - F R E E   

Teflon barrels?
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

RTFM

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life member 2015
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 05:55:40 PM »
I realize this is NOT the cheap alternative.
But damn it's sexy

http://rainwaterhog.com/

Called the water H2og
They use the spill over method - in the picture above the water comes off the roof and fills left most H2og when it is 100% it spills to the next.. etc...

My issue is I live in S. Idaho.... high desert
Last year we had 9.03 inches of precipitation in 365 days - the year before.... 6.87 inches. for me to fill the 7 above would take a Century

My source of survival water is the Snake river which is a 2 mile walk from me... can see it from the driveway.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 01:59:00 PM »
I do not like used plastic for storage unless I know everything about it.  Plastic is porous, and you will get residue of everything ever in the container.  Many people purchase food grade pails and barrels for storage only to learn that the soap residue in the plastic, even tho food grade, taints their food or water.

Are you a welder, or can you barter for a welder?  Stainless steel sheeting in 4' x 8' is $270 per sheet for 16 ga.  five sheets will give you a an 825 storage tank for about $2 per gallon after you throw in some bracing and fittings.  A custom built tank in a cellar or crawl space, outdoors if you live in the correct climate, would give capacity and maintenance benefits that would far outweigh the restrictions of salvage containers or one size fits all kits in the survival world.

Keep in mind that survival needs are one gallon per day per person, so a three month supply for a family of four would be 360 gallons.  My example above would meet the basic needs and then some for a family of four for half a year! 
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:39:48 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk