Author Topic: Blind shooting  (Read 5079 times)

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
Blind shooting
« on: March 14, 2007, 07:44:30 AM »
I'm not trying to upstage Wheels here, but I have a friend who is legally blind. As a flaming liberal, she needs a re-introduction to shooting (she shot rifles in summer camp as a child). Being legally blind is presenting some challenges for me, though, in how to get a handgun into her hand.

She has some vision, mostly peripheral, just not the central vision the rest of us enjoy. She can read if the print is close, so she has acclimated to the problem very well.

The obvious choice is laser grips in a light pistol like a .38 for starters. Does anyone else have any experience or other/better ideas on how to help her learn to shoot?

Thanks.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Snake45

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Blind shooting
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 07:47:32 AM »
Is her interest in recreational shooting, or defensive?
And he's dreaming about an intruder or two
And the promise of burglar blood,
And he's yearning to chew on a gangster tattoo
And to hear the proverbial sickening thud...

--Warren Zevon, "Rottweiler Blues," Mutineer c1995

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 09:01:47 AM »
At this moment, she is a denizen of NYC and happy with Bloomberg's illegal efforts. I am preparing a guerilla campaign to change her mind.

So let's start with recreational since it will be at a range and kind of a "Hey, why don't you give it a try" type of effort at first. Unless anyone has a better idea?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Snake45

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:12:31 AM »
If she doesn't WANT TO shoot, I really don't have any ideas or suggestions. She'd be facing an uphill battle if she WANTED to do it. If she doesn't have the desire, I'm not sure there's much you can do. I wouldn't push it.
And he's dreaming about an intruder or two
And the promise of burglar blood,
And he's yearning to chew on a gangster tattoo
And to hear the proverbial sickening thud...

--Warren Zevon, "Rottweiler Blues," Mutineer c1995

matthew26

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 05:01:13 PM »
Best of luck to you, Sir!

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 02:01:21 AM »

Mike McLaughlin

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 07:54:41 PM »
I'd start with a bolt action or single shot 22lr rifle, not a handgun. There will be much less pointing the barrel in the wrong direction if she has two hands on the gun. You mentioned laser grips. You ought to be able to find a laser you could hang on a rifle, on a 22 scope mount, or perhaps with a barrel band mount.

I am really concerned about her starting with a revolver, in any case. My experience with people with weak vision is that they crowd whatever they are holding. With any revolver she would be endangered by the barrel-cylinder gap. Plus, if she crowds the gun and has a poor grip, she will be endangered by the recoil of a centerfire.

But, you are there, and all I am doing is guessing. If she can get a good grip, keep the muzzle in a safe direction, and the gun not in a position to endanger herself, she will have a chance to enjoy the sport we all love. I wouldn't bring up hunting until she, and you, are comfotable with her target shooting. Think about plinking, and reactive targets - they give instant feedback.

You are trying to do a very worthwhile thing. Good luck, and please keep us cut in.
"It's a magical world, Hobbes . . . Let's go exploring!"

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 07:42:15 AM »
Thanks for all the advice. Like the story about the lady tossing live starfish back into the sea, I am just trying to do my part, one flaming liberal at a time.

Mike, I do have a little Springfield 87A I'm rehabbing. Good idea for a starter for her. May take her back to the summer camp experience, I'll give it a shot.

So to speak.

I am also working on other people less lefty, but since I am on the road a lot, I can only do so much. Here I'm given an opportunity, so we will see what happens. I'll let you know

J.B. Books

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 01:14:16 AM »
I have a friend on this side of the river that told me about a guy in his blind organization that got his conceal permit before ND changed it's concealed requirements.  I think Dick said he did it so he could be more independent and  because it made him feel more normal.
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk