Author Topic: Getting Federal primers out of the box  (Read 10418 times)

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Getting Federal primers out of the box
« on: May 28, 2013, 04:54:59 PM »
In the past, I would purchase CCI primers 1st choice, then Winchester, small pistol primers.  I don't know for sure when, but sometime the first part of this year I ordered primers from Natchez that were Federal and were put on back-order.  They were on my porch today.  Given the current state of affairs, I'm not that picky but the boxes of 100 have the primers sideways instead of vertical.  I can't figure out a good way of getting them into my primer flip tray.

Any ideas?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/dsc0036lp.jpg/

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
Re: Getting Federal primers out of the box
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 05:00:26 PM »
Open the box, put the bottom of primer tray over the box,flip it over,shake it until they're all in the same direction and load into the tubes as usual
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 06:11:18 PM »
I use an old small RCBS flipper and find it easiest to dump 50 at a time.  If I had the bigger Dillon pf I would just dump the whole thing in shake it around to get them anvil up, put the lid on and flip it over and pick them up with the Dillon primer tube.

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 06:09:01 AM »
Appreciate the advice.  Mine is a Dillon flip-tray.  I'll finagle with it a bit.  Just an old habit of using the CCI & Winchester primers, flipping with only one motion.

I wonder why these Federal are boxed sideways and in such a big box relative to the size of others?

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 08:46:57 AM »
Federal primers are more sensitive than other primers so they get more room for shipping safety.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:50:02 PM »

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:56:10 AM »
Federal primers are more sensitive than other primers so they get more room for shipping safety.

I have heard this stated repeatedly in many places including in the Lee reloading instructions, yet I have not seen any real data on it other than "experience". Not disagreeing just wondering if this is has some urban legend in it. It could be that the guys that designed their boxes just used a bigger safety factor and got a bigger box. It happens all the time.

Does anybody have any data? There must be an industry standard test of some kind.
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 06:05:40 PM »
I'm going by the word of some CAS Gunsmiths,  regarding the "Race" action jobs they do on guns,They will only work with federal primers(most sensitive) ,if you use any other brand they have to "adjust" the hammer tension. I have heard this from a lot of CAS shooters as well.

-Sheriff Jim Wilson

robert69

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 01:00:33 AM »
I have used a flipper tray, but I went back to my old reliable way.  I just dump the box of primers into a small box, with 1 -2 inch sides.  I then just shake the box until a number of the primers are shiny side up, and place the primer tube input end over them, and push down. I've been doing this for years, and it works with all mfg of primers.

Regarding the sensitivity of Federal primers, they are more sensitive than CCI primers by my tests, with small pistol primers and a Glock 35 with a trigger job, (2 1/2 #).  I use CCI and Federal primers exclusively.  For rifles I use CCI BR2, and Federal 210M. With my 45's, I use CCI large pistol without problems.

Fortunately I have a good stock of components.
Best to all, good shooting.

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 08:03:43 AM »

Regarding the sensitivity of Federal primers, they are more sensitive than CCI primers by my tests,

Please describe your tests.
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

mooner

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 08:35:03 AM »
Along that same line of questioning, anybody have a comparison of which primers are the least sensitive???  How about a chart somewhere comparing:

Federal
CCI
Winchester
Remington
Fiocchi
Magtech

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk