Author Topic: Federal Primers  (Read 5877 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Federal Primers
« on: July 27, 2013, 11:45:43 AM »
While at the moment I'll take any reasonably priced primers I can find, my goal was to switch from CCI (which I've used forever) to Federal primers. 

Bruno's had some Federals in stock, though at the outrageous price of $0.06/ea, but I'll take them.  I was running low.  When I got the box (5,000) I thought maybe I had ordered 10k.  The box was so big.   

Inside were five individual cartons which I though WOW.  "I must have order like 25,000, these cartons are so big.  No way they only hold 1,000 ea."

Somewhat of a let down (and a "whew" to the credit card) that Federal packs primers in containers about 4 times bigger than CCI does.  Not sure why.  Here's the two 100 round packages side by side.

Wonder why they use so much paper and plastic when CCI doesn't have problem with the smaller containers.

Plus the Federal box has two little tabs on the bottom that keep it from accidentally sliding open.    Real aggravating the first time before you figure it out.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Federal Primers
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 12:21:10 PM »
I agree, there is no good reason for such a large box. it's frustrating to try to store them in an ammo box. The CCI fit perfectly. I do believe they are made by the same company now. Go figure. ???

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 12:48:53 PM »
I had the "what the heck" experience.  Went back to CCI primers as I found some recently at a local gun store.

CCI is not without their faults.  I ordered some online and they came in individualized in these long yellow strips.  They are still CCI #400.  They must be for some type of auto type thing.  Reminded me of the machine gun strips used by the Japanese in WWII.  I have to poke them out one at a time into my primer flip tray with a tooth pick.  Luckily, the ones found locally are in conventual packs that work with my flip tray.

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
I agree, there is no good reason for such a large box. it's frustrating to try to store them in an ammo box. The CCI fit perfectly. I do believe they are made by the same company now. Go figure. ???

I do not store my primers in a steel box as they are the part that explodes. I do not want to give them something to turn into shrapnel. There is probably an argument for either approach. I keep mine is a tupperware style bin.

FWIW

joe
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 10:49:36 AM »
Plastic ammo box. ;D

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:36:26 AM »

JoeG

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »
I have switched back and forth depending on availability. Lee says not to use fed primers in their presses due to their easier ignition level (less strike required).  I have come to respect the things that Richard Lee writes, so I recognize that any failure will be on me. I have loaded a few thousand Federal SPP and LPP  over the last few years with no problems. They both shoot fine in my basically stock guns. reportedly some race gunners can tell the difference with their very light springs.

I have always wondered if the larger packages reflect the lower ignition threshold (which is widely reported but I have never seen any actual data beyond experts' experience) or if it reflects a packaging engineer with a need for a higher safety margin in their package design. It does seem excessive in comparison. Under DOT the completed package needs to survive a series of 6 ft drop tests onto concrete. This is true for the CCI box as well. Due to their light weight, I would not think this presents much of a problem when compared o dropping a gallon jug of sulfuric acid!
“You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world, it’s going to be bad.” Gen. James Mattis

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 02:10:54 PM »
I have switched back and forth depending on availability. Lee says not to use fed primers in their presses due to their easier ignition level (less strike required).  I have come to respect the things that Richard Lee writes, so I recognize that any failure will be on me. I have loaded a few thousand Federal SPP and LPP  over the last few years with no problems. They both shoot fine in my basically stock guns. reportedly some race gunners can tell the difference with their very light springs.

I have always wondered if the larger packages reflect the lower ignition threshold (which is widely reported but I have never seen any actual data beyond experts' experience) or if it reflects a packaging engineer with a need for a higher safety margin in their package design. It does seem excessive in comparison. Under DOT the completed package needs to survive a series of 6 ft drop tests onto concrete. This is true for the CCI box as well. Due to their light weight, I would not think this presents much of a problem when compared o dropping a gallon jug of sulfuric acid!

This might be the reason for the larger box....more buffer from an outside impact to the box.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk