Author Topic: 2024 Eclipse  (Read 459 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
2024 Eclipse
« on: April 10, 2024, 11:21:51 AM »
I can't believe we hadn't talked about it before.

Stayed home.  Had glasses, watched the 80% here in ATL.  Okay.  Played, unsucessfully with point-shoot digital and some solar film.  Note to self:  Experiment before the next event.

BUT:  Did anyone else think this was overhyped and overplayed by the media?  Kinda like Baltimore which isn't even in the top 10 of US ports.  There was an eclipse just last October that crossed the western US.  They happen at the rate of 4 or 5 a year.  Granted this was convenient for the eastern half of the US and my youngest took his 3 kids to Indiana to observe it and make memories.  But folks.  It's not a supernatural phenomenon.   Reporters were crying on camera over it.  Come on folks it's just the result of orbital mechanics and optics.  Impressive, but not super natural.

If you haven't ever, it might be a good time to read Isaac Asimov's award winning short story (the best ever according to the Sci-Fi Writers Hall of Fame) Nightfall

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Timothy

Re: 2024 Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 11:26:25 AM »
Didn’t bother myself with it…

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 11:28:42 AM »
Didn't even know it was going.  Put pipe in the ground
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 04:24:00 PM »
Overhyped by the media??? It was like this had never happened before and wouldn't again for half a century. I heard one newscaster with his little team going on and on about it, and they compared it to Haley's Comet. Nope, no overhype here.

As far as the Port of Baltimore, since day one they have hyped that our economy is doomed and will grind to a halt. I've even heard the pain and suffering equated with the supply chain breakdown during and following COVID.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2024, 08:30:50 AM »
I not only watched it, at 96.5% totality here I believe, I bought a limited-edition bi-metal commemorative coin in advance. And I planned of zipping down to Ohio where it was 100%, but didn't make it. If you haven't seen 100% totality, then you really haven't experienced a solar eclipse. When all the bees go back to their hives, birds go to roost, most animals just generally freak out, and the sound of cicadas is replaced by crickets when it gets colder and darker, then the cricket sounds are replaced by cicadas again, it's not just another day. And it's not just another eclipse. This eclipse was special because everyone in the contiguous United States could see it. I believe that's a once (or twice) in a lifetime event for most people. I watched this video last month and was going to post all about the eclipse. I thought I actually may have, but guess I didn't. My coin is number 301 of 1,000, by the way, and may not be worth anything to anyone, but I still got it. I had a huge, detailed map from NASA I was going to post but can't find it. I zoomed in on a couple details and pasted them back on the map on each side so t was easy to read after i reduced the size. I just downloaded the map again and sized it down to fit here. If you were someplace like Cleveland when it got this dark around 3 pm, you probably wouldn't have a ho-hum attitude about this awesome event hat scared the crap of people for almost of the entire time we've been on this planet.

And Nightfall, a novella written by Asimov when he was a graduate student in chemistry at Columbia University is truly one of the classics of science fiction. The Robert Silverberg novel  that came out 22 years later is good too. On a planet ordinarily illuminated by sunlight at all times by the six suns of its multiple star system, there's a total eclipse that recurs every 2,049 years. Researchers explain that they have discovered evidence of numerous ancient civilizations on the planet, all destroyed by fire, with the collapses occurring about 2,000 years apart. Furthermore, the religious writings of a doomsday cult claim the planet periodically passes through an enormous cave where mysterious "stars" appear. The stars are said to rain down fire from the heavens and rob people of their souls, reducing them to beast-like savages. This may be a spoiler, but there are fires, and crazy people, none of whom have never seen the sky darken on this planet without night. Astounding Science Fiction editor John W. Campbell asked Asimov to write the story after discussing with him a quotation from Ralph Waldo Emerson:

If the stars should appear one night in a thousand years, how would men believe and adore, and preserve for many generations the remembrance of the city of God!

And I say, if you haven't seen a solar eclipse in totality, how could you believe why others adore them so?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_April_8,_2024

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfall_(Asimov_novelette_and_novel)

https://www.shirepost.com/products/2024-total-solar-eclipse-commemorative-coin-copper-and-brass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNK2LI7VeX4
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:26:49 PM »

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1443
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2024, 08:36:02 AM »
Being into I.T. I prefer "The Nine Billion Names of God".

The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2024, 08:47:58 AM »
Hmm. I'm not familiar with that one, but I just downloaded it. And I don't even have to read it because I found an audio-book of it on YouTube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Billion_Names_of_God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkHwM5fGF_M
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2024, 10:54:00 AM »
The Emerson quote is the preface to the Asimov story, at least in my print edition.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2024, 03:24:24 PM »
I thought I had a copy of Nightfall and Other Stories, but don't see it on the shelves. Nightfall is also in The Edge of Tomorrow which I have in paperback and the Emerson quote is is in it. Right after this by The Good Doctor;

Could a book such as this be complete without a consideration of nonhuman scientists? In this story, the scientists are not very nonhuman, for just as one can translate a foreign language into English in order to make the story understandable, so one can translate nonhumanity into familiar terms if one wishes. I did this.
  On the other hand, the problem under consideration is certainly un-Earthly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightfall_and_Other_Stories

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Edge_of_Tomorrow_(Asimov_book)

There are three very simple English words: 'Has', 'him' and 'of'. Put them together like this—'has-him-of'—and say it in the ordinary fashion. Now leave out the two h's and say it again and you have Asimov.

— Asimov, 1979

He's my all-time favorite author, but I haven't read all of his books (over 500). :o  I don't know how he managed to write them all, but I bet he wore out more than his fair share of typewriters.

Rastus

• Mindlessness Fuels Tyranny
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 576
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2024, 04:17:13 PM »
We had 4 minutes of totality here at the ranch.  Outstanding.  I'd like to see another total eclipse.  Partial eclipses...not so much....but another total eclipse would be great. 
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
-William Pitt, British Prime-Minister (1759-1806)
                                                                                                                               Avoid subjugation, join the NRA!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk