Author Topic: Flashlights again.  (Read 9078 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
Flashlights again.
« on: March 28, 2016, 08:02:15 AM »
[Don't remember if we started this thread here or in the general forum.]

Here's my collection of Streamlights, not including the TLR-1 and -2 weapon mounted ones.   Left to Right

• Old PolyTac LED, 275lumens, just plain bright, no fancy programming
  • TL-2 Metal case with Zenon bulb version of the PolyTac.
  • ProTac HL 750lumens, multi-mode
  • ProTac HL USB  750lumens, multi-mode, USB rechargeable.

Although it's bigger and heavier, I'm liking the HL USB more and more.   The idea that I can use regular, non-rechargeable batteries gives it versatility.    The wife keeps one at work for the strobe function.  Part of the Avoid, Deny, Defend program.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Flashlights again.
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 05:18:30 PM »
it has been a while since Alf's post, so I thought I would introduce an off shore brand of LED lights that I really like.. after the 2004/2005 tropical storm season and a 3 and 9 day power outage I decided to standardize my hurricane lighting and electronics to AA Eneloop NiMH rechargeable...  the 9 day outage showed the usefulness of my only LED at the time, a Gerber Infinity... my first purchase was the now discontinued Fenix E21 at the bottom (2xAA), and doing some research on the net was introduced to a Hong Kong company called Solar Force... they make LED modules and light bodies that are very reasonable and so far of very good quality... (disclaimer, I do have a Malkof Devices LED module for my SureFire 6P)... from bottom... Fenix E21 (2xAA) Fenix E05 (1xAAA) my key ring light, Solar Force Z2 (1xAA) , Solar Force L2M body with XP-G low voltage module to match the voltage output of the 18650 rechargeable, and the mongo light a Solar Force L2N body with tube extension (3xcr123) and M3 head with XML2 module... when I cannot legally carry I pick the P60 size L2M... the XP-G die size is smaller than the XML2, but matches the focal point well and is blindingly bright...

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 460
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 05:43:35 PM »
Henry cool, les.

I since added Streamlight Pro Tac 1AA as an every day carry in my pocket.   Can't believe how much I use it daily.   And since I use it at work, they provide the batteries. 

I need to do something about solar rechargeable to have on hand for extended outages.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Timothy

Flashlights again.
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2016, 06:43:02 PM »

Surefire stays in the vehicle most days, Pro Tac in my pocket.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 07:17:11 PM »
Ok...I've been thinking of some lights that I'd like to have and maybe the members here might have the knowledge to point me in the right direction and save me trying to separate good advice from scam on the net.

I'd like to find an emergency light that I can plug into an outlet and let it sit and come on automatically when the power goes out.  Doesn't have to be very bright...a bit brighter than a night light I'd guess.  I'd like to have them in a couple of places so I could find my way through the house in the dark if needed.

My concerns are that I have read, but do not know it is still true or ever was true, that most chargeable batteries don't like to be plugged into power 24/7 for maybe months.  Also, perhaps there is Battery Memory to be concerned about...if they unit is not fully discharged before recharging.  Don't know if minor 5 or 10 min outages during the day, for instance, would be detrimental to devices always hooked to power.

Anyone have experience or knowledge that can help? 

Thanks.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:12:43 PM »

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 09:32:15 PM »
Alf... re;solar...there are more cost effective options now, but I have a Goal Zero 7W panel that is about 5 years old, that I have in reserve to charge my AA Eneloop (I'd suggest the Japanese built Eneloops not Chinese... they were originally made by Sanyo, but were bought out by Panasonic)  get a charger first, the blue charger shown in the pic is a Fujicell SCH808F, but I don't think it is still available... I have a NiteCore  Intellicharger also...Maha is very highly recommended for large volume charging...make sure it works with a 12v plug, and get a 12v female adapter with a pair of battery clips on the leads to charge from a 12v source if you have it, and no cigarette lighter port available... the flexible Powerfilm units come highly recommended, the Goal Zero units are a little pricey but mine was a gift card purchase

with the GZ panel and Fujicell charger, I can charge 4 partially depleted AAs in around 3 hours in bright sunlight... AAAs faster... I've never really run a voltage check, but the visual "bar" charge indicator was 1 of 3 bars

in the pic, I have the GZ battery pack and Fujicell charger... both do not charge at the same time, I was showing both power input options.... 5V USB mini and 12v

Timothy

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 09:14:41 AM »

A great bludgeoning device, served us well over the last 25 years but alas, not much of an illumination compared to modern ones... 

[emoji41]

Majer

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 70
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 09:24:32 AM »
Timothy,go here and get this replacement bulb,much brighter than the stock bulb...
http://maglite.com/shop/parts-and-accessories/replacement-lamp-722.html#.WBYCGMn53DM
Or if you want a LED bulb
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Maglite+Led+Bulbs&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AMaglite+Led+Bulbs
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Maglite+Led+Bulbs&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AMaglite+Led+Bulbs

Majer
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - Jeff Cooper
Pericles--"Freedom is only for those who have the guts to defend it".

The problem with society today is that not enough of us drink wine from our enemies skulls”.

It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars!!!
-Sheriff Jim Wilson
"When tyranny becomes law rebellion becomes duty" Thomas Jefferson
Es gibt keine Notwendigkeit zu befürchten, Underdog hier ist.
Great nations rise and fall. The people go from bondage to spiritual truth, to great courage, from courage to liberty, from liberty to abundance, from abundance to selfishness, from selfishness to complacency, from complacency to apathy, from apathy to dependence, from dependence back again to bondage. Where are we now??????

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2016, 10:44:49 AM »
Timothy, as Majer commented... the MagLight LED lights are quantum leaps ahead of the old incandescent... the State of Florida usually has a tax free hurricane supplies day, and Lowes has had 3D and 2D LED MagLights as door busters for under $15... unless you go to the high end Malkoff drop in, I was not satisfied with the after market LED conversions... I have 3 of the 2D LEDs with split key ring attached by a post cable tie so I can clip them to my key ring

prior to a recent HF inverter generator purchase, this was my go-to for powering my portable digital TV, Eneloop recharging, and powering my 12v fans for tropical season... I keep it on a float charger... the cigarette receptacle is permanently attached, and fused... 94 A/hr deep discharge trolling motor battery

Timothy

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »
I'll look into both options, thanks!  That old light has done well thru a few hurricanes, nor'easters and been abused pretty regularly.  I think I'm still on the first bulb too, the wife keeps her nearby.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk