Author Topic: Putin boasts new jet fighter better than U.S. plane (F-22)  (Read 4138 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Putin boasts new jet fighter better than U.S. plane (F-22)
« on: June 18, 2010, 07:39:17 AM »
(Reuters) - Prime Minister Vladimir Putin climbed into the cockpit of Russia's newest fighter jet on Thursday and said it would trump a U.S.-built rival, the F-22 Raptor.

Politics  |  Russia

Putin watched a test flight of a "fifth-generation" stealth fighter, dubbed the T-50 and billed as Russia's first all-new warplane since the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991.

"This machine will be superior to our main competitor, the F-22, in terms of maneuverability, weaponry and range," Putin told the pilot after the flight, according to an account on the government website.

Putin said the plane would cost up to three times less than similar aircraft in the West and could remain in service for 30 to 35 years with upgrades, according to the report.

Successful development of the fighter, built by Sukhoi, is crucial to showing Russia can challenge U.S. technology and modernize its military after a period of post-Soviet decay.

Russia also plans to manufacture T-50s jointly with India.

The F-22 raptor stealth fighter first flew in 1997 and is the only fifth-generation fighter in service. Fifth-generation aircraft have advanced flight and weapons control systems and can cruise at supersonic speeds.

According to the government website, the test pilot told Putin the controls of the T-50 allowed the pilot to operate most of the plane's systems without taking his hands off the joystick, which he said would be very useful under high forces of gravity.

"I know, I've flown," Putin replied. Sukhoi has said the plane should be ready for use in 2015.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE65G64820100617?type=politicsNews
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

crusader rabbit

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Putin boasts new jet fighter better than U.S. plane (F-22)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 08:27:46 AM »
Without the spirit and will of the people to remain a super-power (as evidenced by the douche we have put in the WH) this is only the beginning of the "second place finishes" we will see.  Our salvation as a nation will come only when and if the masses fully understand that being second sucks.  We may see a reawakening in 2012, but my optimism is not strong. 

And while I recognize that we are not a true democracy but rather a republic, it seems the majority of my fellow citizens belive we are a democracy and Lord Acton's words ring true:  “The one prevailing evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections.”
(emphasis mine)
“I’ve lived the literal meaning of the ‘land of the free’ and ‘home of the brave.’ It’s not corny for me. I feel it in my heart. I feel it in my chest. Even at a ball game, when someone talks during the anthem or doesn’t take off his hat, it pisses me off. I’m not one to be quiet about it, either.”  Chris Kyle

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 11:05:40 AM »
Putin has flown ? Since when did the KGB 2nd Directorate teach anti dissident investigators to fly ?

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 11:48:28 AM »
The Russians make junk, he's trumping up the airframe up to sell it to other countries.  I doubt the Russian economy could afford to manufacture anything for themselves.  Without the mob and the black market, there wouldn't be an economy.

Regardless of who occupies 1600 Penn Ave, we still make the best toys in the United States.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 01:01:35 PM »
I don't know about that Timothy. The Russians built some pretty good planes. Couple that with Indian designed avionics? Well, there is a reason every computer CS call goes to Mumbai. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand. The flip side is that it is irrelevant. There are virtually no circumstances where a sane Russian or American president would take our nations to war. As far as exports? At $35 million a pop, plus God knows how many dollars per flight hour for maintainence, thats a pretty exclusive shopping club. Iran is the only one who can afford it we need to worry about. Even there, our pilots are better and we have AWACs.
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 03:15:53 PM »

Timothy

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 01:21:27 PM »
Actually, I believe Defense Review put them at about 100 mil a pop.  Russia is still our enemy, maybe not directly or on their own but they sell anything they have to the highest bidder which makes them very dangerous.

What scares the shite out of some folks is the shear numbers the Russians and the Chinese can throw up together that would dwarf any response we could muster.  Couple that with the fact we have that f..k stick you elected sitting there doing nothing to bolster our military and we have a problem.

Just my opinion and I will never trust a Russian for as long as I live!

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2010, 01:44:14 PM »
Fear not. They are the Russians. The two constants of Russian FP are these. They are envious of the West and have been since the Tsars. They are also paranoid about invasion and seek to protect themselves by building and maintaining "spheres of influence" to insulate themselves. Except under the Sovs, and even there, once the shine wore off their revolutionary ideology in the 1970s, they have never been into conquest. The only flash points are in places like Georgia and the Baltic states. I sympathise with Lithuania and Georgia, but I won't go to war for them. Poland? Thats a different story, but one that could be resolved diplomatically one hopes. God knows how much blood was spilt over it in 1939. The thing is, I don't trust the Russians either. But if history is any guide, they are not a nation bent on conquest. What they are is a nation of well armed paranoids living in fear of Napolean and Hitler. I for one have zero desire to rule Russia, even if they asked us to. Gas and oil be damned. The trick is to get Putin to understand that.
FQ13

cooptire

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 05:41:28 PM »
I tend to agree with FQ on the the Russian paranoia complex. The only time they aren't paranoid, it seems, is when they should be. (See example #1, Operation Barbarossa).

They have also built some very effective weapons, the AK-47, T34, Mig-29, and a few others. They advantage we have ALWAYS had is in the training of the person driving the weapon. Overall we know how to fight better with our "toys". We have/had some VERY high quality weapons systems that are true force multipliers as they say.

Or course the Soviet General's comment that "Quantity has a quality all its own" also comes in to play.
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined." Patrick Henry

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
Your right coop, the T34, AK, Mig-21 & 29, had us smoked until we do what we do best,.....BUT BHO cut the Raptor budget, aka "shelved" it......

Thanks BHO, just like NASA.......

now we'll PAY Russia millions to get our crap to the ISS...  and pray we never have large scale aerial combat. Because Russia will sell these new planes to our favorite countries.

Yes we have better pilots, but any advantage, including the F-22, should be kept.

Liberals...... >:(
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 10:54:30 PM »
Don't put to much faith in what Putin says, or in Russian tech either if you want to have an old age to worry about.
They still can't design anything on their own, that is the job of the FSB (KGB replacement that handles Foreign intel  ).
Their workers can't match us in workmanship,
And all that sh!t that every one is so fearful of is based on ideas our own designers have already cast off as not workable, or dependable .
The  T-34 was based on American (running gear [ Christy suspension]  and engine ) and German manufacturing, turret, and Armor, gun ) technology.

The AK 's entire reputation relies on the fact that it is a crude POS.
The Migs only advantages were it's small size and inboard gun. When was the last time a country flying them won a war ?
Heck, when was the last time they won an air battle ?

As for Indian avionics, don't count on them having any more dealings with Russia for arms, The last 3 generations of Soviet/ Russian equipment the Indians bought none of the features,( Laser range finder, etc.) will work in India's heat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk