Author Topic: Small town against the dogs  (Read 2459 times)

1Buckshot

• Monty Lucht
  • Top Forum Member
  • COMMENCE FIRING
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Small town against the dogs
« on: July 02, 2010, 12:22:21 PM »
This doesn't affect me as I live in the country, But I would be looking for heads to roll.  This is a small town in central Montana, About 2000 people. I would think the town council would be looking for new jobs the next election.

GREAT FALLS - The White Sulphur Springs City Council has passed an insurance requirement for the owners of certain breeds of dogs with reputations for aggressive behavior.

City Councilman Heith Stidham said the ordinance, passed last month, is meant to hold owners responsible for the medical bills of anyone attacked by their dog.

"We need something in place to protect our citizens from vicious dog attacks, and this is what we saw needed to be done," Stidham said.

He said two recent pit bull attacks on other dogs prompted the ordinance, which requires owners of pit bulls, Doberman pinschers and Rottweilers to have $500,000 in liability insurance, regardless of whether the animal has shown aggressive behavior.

Owners of other dogs would be subject to the insurance requirement if their animal bites a person or acts aggressively without provocation.

Brian Eliason, a White Sulphur Springs resident who owns two pit bulls, questioned the fairness and legality of singling out specific breeds.

"If a dog is the problem, then deal with the dog individually," he said.

Residents who already own pit bulls, Dobermans and Rottweilers before the ordinance passed on June 17 are not subject to the insurance requirement, unless their dog acts aggressively.

Under the new ordinance, proof of insurance is required at time of licensing. It can be requested by an animal control officer, city clerk, member of the City Council or any law enforcement officer.

If the owner of a dog listed in the ordinance does not provide proof of insurance, the animal can be taken into custody. If proof of insurance is not provided within three days, the ordinance calls for the animal to be euthanized or, if it has not shown aggressive behavior, it can be moved out of town, but cannot return.

Eliason said the insurance requirement amounts to a ban on certain breeds because it is so expensive. He said he plans to fight the ordinance.

Cindy Younkin of Bozeman, the city attorney for White Sulphur Springs, said she isn't aware of any other town in Montana with a similar ordinance.

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/article_142d467a-8551-11df-99eb-001cc4c03286.html

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Re: Small town against the dogs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 12:33:15 PM »
Obviously there isn't enough Libertarians on that city council  :D :D :D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Ichiban

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 12:52:02 PM »
Sounds like racial (breed) profiling to me.  Better call Eric Holder.   ::)

tombogan03884

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »
As a person who walks everywhere I go and have had experience with dogs, the only problem I see with it is that it discriminates against certain Breeds.
As a former dog owner it makes me mad.
I'm willing to just shoot the ones that attack me and let the ones who just go about their business, do so.
Let the Courts settle this one.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 07:50:14 PM »
Fine the crap out of people who let their dogs roam free. Require the insurance if there is a valid complaint. Beyond that, this is BS, pure and simple. Its true that pits are bred to be aggresive, the same as Labs are to fetch ducks. Its a good reason to select your breed accordingly. It says nothing about how the dog is raised and trained. The presumption of innocence applies. The potential for danger is absurd. Its the way we are going to be made to get insurance for our guns. If there is a concrete example the dog (or more likely the owners negligence) makes it a risk fine. But the burden of proof is on the town.
FQ13 who needs a drink

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:59:28 AM »

Bic

• Top Forum Member
  • It's just a pen name...
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 08:16:02 PM »
Here's an interesting little quiz.........What is a 'pit bull' ?

http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html
Best Wishes, Mike.

Dakotaranger

• Happiness is a 1911 in your hand
  • Top Forum Member
    • Dakotaranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:37:04 PM »
As a person who walks everywhere I go and have had experience with dogs, the only problem I see with it is that it discriminates against certain Breeds.
As a former dog owner it makes me mad.
I'm willing to just shoot the ones that attack me and let the ones who just go about their business, do so.
Let the Courts settle this one.
I'm not a dog owner, nor do I really like them beyond my stepdad's, step-brother's black labs and sisters puppy.  BUT I do have a major issue with people that don't curb their dogs or ignore the leash law (six foot leash).

I was biking less than a week ago some idiot owner had their dog on a twenty foot leash and the dog was on the other side of the trail.  I have no problem with shooting an animal if it is a threat, even if the owner is right there, I'd just as soon not have to though.

I'm not big on the idea of requiring people to have insurance for such things, but it's become incredibly apparent that dog owners think that just because they love their critters they expect everyone to get out of the way.  IF people took responsibility to look out for their neighbor this may not be necessary.
"One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to George Washington, 1796

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 08:12:35 AM »
I had my homeowners insurance cancelled because someone came by to look at the house and saw our Siberian Husky looking out the front door. "Dangerous breed". I called them and yelled at them because the dog is pretty well behaved, but they were insistent. I tried to make the point that she was saving them burgulary and theft claims. I said, "What do you think keeps all the friggin' mexicans out of my house"? They come walking by and see "El Lobo" and they keep moving. Couldn't budge them.

They also seem to have a network of some kind becuase I had a really hard time getting reinsured. 
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 08:31:28 AM »
I had my homeowners insurance cancelled because someone came by to look at the house and saw our Siberian Husky looking out the front door. "Dangerous breed". I called them and yelled at them because the dog is pretty well behaved, but they were insistent. I tried to make the point that she was saving them burgulary and theft claims. I said, "What do you think keeps all the friggin' mexicans out of my house"? They come walking by and see "El Lobo" and they keep moving. Couldn't budge them.

They also seem to have a network of some kind becuase I had a really hard time getting reinsured. 

Very, very sad. Imagine what would have happened if you admitted you owned (gasp) a gun! Dropped like a hot rock. You should know that a PC solution like a burglar alarm is the only "correct" way to go. ::) Honestly, if they are on my property without my permission....well to quote "Cold Mountain" .."None of this would have come to pass if you had but stayed home today".
FQ13

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 11:00:44 AM »
Under the new ordinance, proof of insurance is required at time of licensing. It can be requested by an animal control officer, city clerk, member of the City Council or any law enforcement officer

Seems like the city council is pretty big on themselves.  For this reason alone any council member who voted for this should be voted out of office.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk