Author Topic: FYI - This is what an arsenal looks like...  (Read 7593 times)

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 877
Re: FYI - This is what an arsenal looks like...
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2014, 07:56:07 AM »
So let's look at it from another angle.

If the BATF busted into your house and put your guns and ammo on display, would you be embarrassed if they called it an arsenal?

I'd question their use of the word arsenal, but I sure could use some help with inventory of firearms and ammunition.  Wonder if they'd stay around to help oil before we put them away???
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 08:28:35 AM »
I think we may have gone around on the use of the word arsenal verses collection before.  The dictionaries aren't much help as they simply say an arsenal is a collection of weapons or a place where weapons are stored.

My use of the word tends to reflect collections of the same weapon for purpose of distribution to a fighting force.  I think of it more in the military or LEO use of the word.  More of what you would find in a building called an arsenal.   Hence, if you had 10 identical ARs that might be an arsenal.  10 varying ones would just be a collection.

But that's just my use of the word.  I'm obviously in the minority.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 10:19:03 AM »
But that's just my use of the word.  I'm obviously in the minority.

Which is why you don't write for a bird cage liner from NYC.  ;D
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 12:48:23 PM »
That's not an arsenal or a collection. A collection needs at least one gun per day of the week. Maybe one for each day of the month would be an arsenal. I have a small collection.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

Shoot the guns of history

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 03:29:48 PM »
That's not an arsenal or a collection. A collection needs at least one gun per day of the week. Maybe one for each day of the month would be an arsenal. I have a small collection.

I have a small calender..

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 02:36:41 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 04:14:46 PM »
I have a small calender..

[snorting coffee]   LOL  [/sc]
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »

I'm pretty darn sure I have your definition of arsenal covered.  Would have to dig up the list and count 'em but with handguns and long guns I'd bet on it.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 06:30:06 PM »

So I am good for almost 15 weeks.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Grizzle_Bear

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2014, 08:00:40 PM »
Way back when the English language was spoken properly as well as taught in school, people knew
that an "arsenal" was a place where weapons were manufactured, while those weapons were stored
in an "armory."

These days even dictionaries use the two words interchangeably.

Seeing as I have built several firearms from a collection of unfinished parts, versus slapping some
together from finished sub-assemblies as though they were LEGO blocks, I believe I can refer to the
Ham Radio Shack/Mad Scientist Laboratory as an arsenal.  A few (!) weapons are stored here as well,
which makes this area an armory.  There are also some small (!) quantities of ammunition stored
here as well, so we might also use the term "ammo dump."

Does that cover everything?

GB

BAC

« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2014, 10:05:16 PM »
So they didn't manufacture weapons at Springfield Armory?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk