Author Topic: Episode 1: Safe at Home  (Read 50840 times)

CDR

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Episode 1: Safe at Home
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2008, 08:48:25 PM »
Tremendous.  The concept and execution of this show is quite an accomplishment and you should be very proud.  Congratulations and well done.

Now, this is quite disturbing and I'm upset with myself for not realizing this on my own, but the speed of an attack, in reality, appears to occur far quicker than I could have imagined.  Therefore, I took from this first show that carrying 100% of the time when I'm outside of the home will do nothing for me when I place my gun in my safe upon returning.  I'm thinking of either carrying 100 % of the time, including at home, or obtain a second GunVault for downstairs to supplement the one I have under my night stand. It is obvious that quick access to a weapon is of paramount importance in a home invasion.  Having to go upstairs is an absurd option.  Your show really brought this home in spades.

Lastly, for Michael 1, Michael 2 or Rob...please play out the scenario beyond what we witnessed at the end of the program.  I wasn't quite sure if the actress playing the victim (tremendous acting job by the way) actually shot the intruder or if the intruder fell to the ground to avoid getting shot.  Either way, how should she have handled the situation from that point if a) she shot the intruder but still had another assailant in the home who may have run off but maybe not?  Or b.) the assailant lie frozen while having a gun held on him with the other intruder about to barge in with God knows how much time before law enforcement show up?

Great job.
Winchester Ranger T .45ACP 230 gr.+P JHP.................................When you care enough to send the very best.

Robin

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2008, 09:15:47 PM »
Far be it for me as an amateur to critique the work of experienced professionals... but since you asked here are my thoughts. :)

1. The fact the opening sequence showed only females as the victims bugged me. Maybe that's just me.
2. It did not seem realistic that an intruder would start by banging on the front door. Usually home invasion starts by ringing the doorbell and trying to get the residents to open the door via some pretext or another. I'm surprised the LEO "advisor" didn't mention it.
3. I don't know if the budget would have allowed it, but using a professional stuntman would add to the realism when someone takes a hit/fall. If nothing else a bulletproof vest with ballistic insert would have allowed the first intruder to take the chest jab with more realism.
4. I would not feel comfortable in the safe room being so close to a ground floor window--with my back to it no less. Saying the bed was intentionally positioned there makes it worse.
5. I don't like the idea of security through obscurity. Sure things like a GunVault don't offer that much security but it's better than hoping no one finds the handgun. Even if you don't have kids there's always the chance friends will bring some by. Better to always keep guns in a locked container.
6. Biometric devices may be neato tech but (at least right know) it isn't reliable enough to trust your life with. If your finger is too dry, too wet or positioned wrong it won't work. I like and use GunVaults. I don't know if the current deluxe versions allow multiple codes but the pre-company buyout ones did. I programmed in three codes (eg. 1-2-1-2, 2-3-2-3 and 3-4-3-4) that would enable me to open the safe regardless of which button I hit first.
7. In some states, cell phone 911 calls go to Highway Patrol and can take several minutes before dispatch responds. Then there's added delay transferring you to local dispatch. An old cell phone may be the final backup but it's better to have the local PD's emergency number on speed dial on a land line or active cell instead.
8. When calling dispatch, give the most important information first. In this episode's scenario, that would be something like "Home invasion in progress at 123 Some St. Two intruders, male." Pause to allow dispatch to notify/send units. Be prepared to give whatever suspect descriptions you can, state how many residents are there, where you are and the fact you're armed. The last bit is very important.
9. While probably realistic, I didn't like the resident's finger on the trigger. If someone else comes through the door you could have a bad shoot.
10. Speaking of defensive position, the best place is in a corner on the same wall as the door. Even with training it's easy for a person entering a room to forget about hard corners and neglect to clear them properly. That gives you that much more time to identify a person entering the room and make the shoot/no-shoot decision.
11. I'm not sure about announcing you have a gun to the criminals. Why give away a tactical advantage? Likewise telling them you've called the police. It lets them know they don't have much time left and have to act quickly.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head regarding the episode. I might think of more stuff later. Overall it isn't bad for the first episode of a new series. It's too bad the first season is already in the can; any input given now has to wait until the second season.

In terms of treading new ground, there are three areas I think a show like this should cover that haven't really been done before.

The first is what should you do immediately after a shooting. What physical/emotional stress you can expect, how you should inform dispatch about a shooting and prepare for officers arriving on scene. What kind of a statement you should give, and what you shouldn't say to avoid digging yourself into a legal hole later on. People have a natural tendancy to want to explain their situation and it's unfortunate that good intention can land you in legal trouble later on.

The second is dealing the the criminal and almost certian civil tort that will follow even a justifiable shooting. Most people don't think about getting liability insurance to cover themselves, and many of those that do fail to realize their umbrella liability policy may not cover self-defense. It may be better to be tried by twelve than carried by six, but giving your life savings, house and future earnings to the criminal's family isn't much better.

The third is dealing with the emotional aftermath of shooting someone. The psychological scars may surface immediately or take years before they manifest. Either way knowing they can happen and how to deal with it when they do is important.

Well, that's my two cents for now.

DavidC77

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2008, 09:18:47 PM »
Sadly, Comcast does not carry The Outdoor Channel.

Will the video be available here to view?

Comcast doe's have the Outdoor Channel (in my area), it is part of a "extra pay" (around $5 if I remember right) sports package though. I wish Comcast also had the Sportsman Channel but they don't.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Robin

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2008, 09:23:35 PM »
Now, this is quite disturbing and I'm upset with myself for not realizing this on my own, but the speed of an attack, in reality, appears to occur far quicker than I could have imagined. I'm thinking of either carrying 100 % of the time, including at home, or obtain a second GunVault for downstairs to supplement the one I have under my night stand.  Having to go upstairs is an absurd option.
Not necessarily. If you know an invasion is happening it may be better if you can dash upstairs before the intruders see you. That gives you more time to ensconce yourself, versus getting caught in plain sight trying to access a GunVault.

If you do plan on having multiple GunVaults, think of where you spend most of your time indoors, where intruders are most likely to gain entry and where you'd go as a defensive position from there. Then put the GunVault near that location. You may find there's more than one place you'd retreat towards which would necessiate multiple GunVaults downstairs. The show's idea of having improvised weapons in easy reach at all times may be a better solution.

Some people do carry at all times, including when at home, and only take it off at bedtime. I'm not sure how they handle showers though.  ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2008, 09:27:14 PM »
NEVER TALK TO COPS, that's what lawyers are for.

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 08:36:38 AM »

Robin

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2008, 09:30:46 PM »
NEVER TALK TO COPS, that's what lawyers are for.
There is some basic information you must give officers at the scene (eg. location of weapons, how many shots you fired and in what direction, description of suspects, etc.) but knowing what to say and what not to say is critical.

tombogan03884

« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2008, 09:34:37 PM »
I was in fear for my life, I want my lawyer. You have the right to remain silent, do you have the ability ?

DavidC77

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2008, 09:39:13 PM »
Very good show to have on the air guys. I enjoyed it. A few things like having a gun and stuff mounted on the board would land the owner (in my Commenwelth, nuf said) in trouble. But in all I think it is a show that is needed to help people out with questions and to see how things can (and do) happen.

I look forward to the coming shows and again THANK YOU for doing great shooting shows, I enjoy them all.

David

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Michael Bane

• Global Moderator
  • Top Forum Member
  • Host & Editor-in-chief
    • michaelBane.tv
  • Liked:
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2008, 09:45:49 PM »
Remember, we're doing a series here! Many of the questions raised here will be covered in future episodes.

mb
Michael Bane, Majordomo @ MichaelBane.TV

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2008, 10:31:32 PM »
Well there was some good info in the 1st show and some bad.

The sliding glass door bit, while sticks are great, they don't stop the person from lifting the door off the track.  Your much better off getting a hinge pin and drilling a hole thru the door and the into the other.  That will stop them from doing that.

now the safe room, I don't care what you do to the door jamb... unless you renforce the structure, they will just kick part of the wall in with the door.  Then there was window, enough said.

Oh yeah, that women screaming got anoying...
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk