Author Topic: Low Cost Gun Safe Alternative  (Read 27190 times)

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
Re: Low Cost Gun Safe Alternative
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 03:40:50 PM »
soemthing else  that just came to mind, 

you could build something to match you cabintry and do a built in.  would not hide it from theifs but would make it blend in with your house.

if you can't tell, I love putting "hiden" things into homes.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 03:43:07 PM »
The more I look at this the better I like it!

The taller 2 door cabinets in the link would hold a passel of guns and 'stuff'.
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

deepwater

• SNIPE
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 03:48:27 PM »
just noticed your coffee table, nice, my mother made something similar out of California Redwood.
YOU CAN TEACH A MONKEY HOW TO RIDE A BICYCLE: BUT YOU CAN'T TEACH HIM HOW TO FIX IT!!

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »
Great idea. and it complements the blinds so well. ;)

I know, I know,...

but I have Cheese Wiz...
Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 08:17:49 PM »
You do need to cover it and quick! That chatreusey green just clashes - and I mean clashes - with that lovely fuschia table cloth, you know the one with the giant doily on it.

OK, gay imitation over, heading to the corner. I have popcorn, we can melt the Cheez Whiz over it. I do need to take another kind of whiz first though . .

Hey, I'm already heading for the corner, what's another 4 hours for that last shot?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:28:24 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 08:21:59 PM »
You do need to cover it and quick! That chatreusey green just clashes - and I mean clashes - with that lovely fuschia table cloth, you know the one with the giant doily on it.

OK, gay imitation over, heading to the corner. I have popcorn, we can melt the Cheez Whiz over it. I do need to take another kind of whiz first though . .

Hey, I'm already heading for the corner, what's another 4 hours for that last shot?

Please wash your hands.......don't need no whiz in the whiz! ;D ;D

tombogan03884

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 08:57:49 PM »
Please wash your hands.......don't need no whiz in the whiz! ;D ;D

And leave the seat UP !!!

1911 Junkie

• Top Forum Member
  • aka Mr 4000
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2009, 10:04:44 AM »
Nice idea and all that.

Stack On does have the "Total Defense" line of safes that protect from fire and up to 2 feet of water. It is what I have right now. It just sucked to spend money on something and not even be able to fit everything inside of it.

I'll have to give this a look next time I expand my storage.

One other thing I've noticed is that people leave their magazines laying around or not locked up. Get something to secure your magazines. I have a locking wall cabinet I keep my mags in. It would cost a pretty penny if I had to replace them all because I put my emphasis on only my guns.
"I'd love to spit some Beechnut in that dudes eye and shoot him with my old .45"  Hank Jr.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2009, 11:06:04 AM »
I'm still thinking out loud on this one boys and girls. It's going to get covered for sure, most likely with a big couch throw for now. (Melanie ordered one as soon as we finished placing it.) I was also thinking of boxing it in with some nice Oak Veneer Plywood. The problem is I don't work with wood. It's not for lack of want, but rather I've already taken over one bedroom, and three large closets with gun related stuff, and I'm the only one on the block who actually uses the garage for my cars. I'm simply running out of house for any more "hobby related" stuff.

As for cost they run anywhere from $249.00 to $699.00. Mine cost $599.00. If you buy one shop several different Home Depots and Lowe's because both Knaack and Rigid also make them, and they are all in competition with each other. The store manager at the Home Depot I bought mine from special ordered it for me, so I didn't get much of a break on the price. You may get lucky and find one that is the size you want. Most in store models are discounted.

Another nice thing about these is if you have a home with a basement they are waterproof up to the top of the door. On a regular vertical gun safe water will leak in as soon as the water level reaches the bottom lip of the door. Also, if you did want to use it vertically it wouldn't take much to weld 4 small feet on to one end, and use it that way. I think it's far better horizontally. It has a nice shelf in the back you can use for ammo storage, etc. All and all not a bad "safe" for the money. I'm sick and tired of paying over 2 Grand for an iron box to keep my guns in.  Bill T.

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2009, 11:14:13 AM »
I saw a Knaack and a Jobox both at the same pawn shop once for $200 each. They were the 48" long (or around that) models and I wish I'd bought one then (I debated on it).

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk