Author Topic: Kahr PM40 or Sig 239??  (Read 15328 times)

Texas_Bryan

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Kahr PM40 or Sig 239??
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 12:15:51 AM »
I'm a big Sig fan.  The Texas State Police replaced their Sig P232's, a PPK .380, with P239's in 9mm for their standard concealable for Texas Rangers, Troopers, and other detectives.  So that's a big endorsement.  And there's no manual safety, almost no Sig has one, but it does have a SA/DA trigger, decocker, and trigger/hammer disconnect, along with Sig reliability.  The only down side is that most Sig's weigh ten thousand pounds, but I've not handled your alternative. If you have the money get the P239, I've never met anyone that regretted getting a Sig.

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 12:57:56 AM »
I love Sigs I have a P229 in .40, but the Kahr would probably be better sized for CCW. Though you might also check KelTec if your considering Kahr I think they are just as good as the Kahr but have a better pricetag! ;)
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

trafficguy

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 08:47:40 PM »
You folks are too good to me! Thanks for all the good advice.  I finally found a Sig at a shop.  Love the look and feel of that gun.  Maybe not a good CCW due to weight.  Also, handled a S&W M&P 40c.  I liked the weight of that, but hard to find many fans of that particular line or firearms.  Looks like its back to the dawing board on my search.

Thanks again to all that weighed in!

Badgersmilk

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »
I'd say Sig., can I ask.  Why a .40?

Kinda like shopping for a fast car, seeing a Camaro for the same price as a Vette (.45ACP) and wanting the camaro.  Just asking.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 09:15:19 PM »
You folks are too good to me! Thanks for all the good advice.  I finally found a Sig at a shop.  Love the look and feel of that gun.  Maybe not a good CCW due to weight. Also, handled a S&W M&P 40c.  I liked the weight of that, but hard to find many fans of that particular line or firearms.  Looks like its back to the dawing board on my search.

I am one of the biggest M+P fans around. (still fighting the kool-aid) I have posted about my full size .40 M+P many times. It eats it all, it shoots them all, and if my eyes were better, it would hit them all.

Not 1 jam, fail to feed or fire, and actually got better after a few boxes. Owned now for over a year and a half. S&W got the M+P right.

It is not finicky, has the ambi features for those who shoot lefty, and is a fine choice for consideration.

The .40c is the same action on a compact frame. My proud .02 cents.

I don't work for S&W, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express, and trust my M+P.

I'd say Sig., can I ask.  Why a .40?

Kinda like shopping for a fast car, seeing a Camaro for the same price as a Vette (.45ACP) and wanting the camaro.  Just asking.

I had a 72 Camaro back in the day that would "smoke" 80's gen vette's,and Stang's, than they had to make the ZR-1 to keep up... ::),

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:39:56 AM »

GUNS-R-US

• Top Forum Member
  • We must protect & defend our freedoms!
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2009, 01:08:58 AM »
You folks are too good to me! Thanks for all the good advice.  I finally found a Sig at a shop.  Love the look and feel of that gun.  Maybe not a good CCW due to weight.  Also, handled a S&W M&P 40c.  I liked the weight of that, but hard to find many fans of that particular line or firearms.  Looks like its back to the dawing board on my search.

I am one of the biggest M+P fans around. (still fighting the kool-aid) I have posted about my full size .40 M+P many times. It eats it all, it shoots them all, and if my eyes were better, it would hit them all.

I have to agree with the M&P line of pistols as a good option. I have 3 of them - .45, 9, and 9c. while the triggers are a bit rough out of the box they are nice to handle and fit the hand like a glove! I think the 9c (12 round mag), 40c (10 round mag) makes a great CCW package! 8) Though the .40 is a better caliber than the 9mm ;) I largely went with the 9c for the better ammo cost and I like the extra ammo capacity in the mags + it would pissoff the the Brady folks! ;D  ::) ;D I carry the 9c with the 12 rds. in the gun and a spare 17rd full size mag in my pocket using a Nemis mag Holster.
Mike Kramer
NRA "Benefactor" Life Member 
2AF Life Member

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2009, 07:52:01 AM »
I am a fan of Sigs but they are bulky for CCW. I am also a fan of the M&P I have, but it's a duty size weapon.
I have never fired one, but several ex LEOs in my area carry the Kahr 45s. They are VERY compact, and as these guys tell it, VERY well made. I've handled one and it seems like a really great CCW 45- but again, never fired one.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2009, 08:11:08 AM »
I have had a Kahr and still have the Sig 239 but in 9mm.

I would recommend the Kahr if you have small hands. I sold it to a friend who wanted a pistol for his wife.
The Kahr had a much longer trigger pull and reset than the Sig and that was a problem for me.

The Sig has taken a real work out, 20,000 + rounds with out a hiccup. I would vote Sig.

The truth be known I carry a G26 more now than the 239.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2009, 08:26:58 AM »
+1 on the Glock 26
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

DeltaM

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »
I have a Kahr P9 and my wife has the little bit shorter PM9. It meets my needs for a CCW very well. Small, compact and fits easily in my front pants pocket, even in summer shorts and at 5'10", 180 lbs., I don't have the bulk to hide something much bigger in the souths humid heat in summer. To me, especially someone who is approaching grumpy old, lustful ;D man status with myopic vision, it is a good point and shoot weapon.

I'm not law enforcement, though worked 7 years as a paramedic so I'm cognizant of what the underbelly of society is like and where a weapons use as a civilian is most likely to occur. In my CCW training (by a law officer), I was told 95% of all situations where a civilian needs a weapon is at a range of 12 feet or less. If it is over this range, you probably have other options. I can put all rounds easily in a dinner plate at this range without spending a lot of time.

It is a shame that how individualistic needs are with firearms, there is not a way to test handguns before buying.

This is a pretty decent evaluation http://knight67.blogspot.com/2008/04/gun-review-kahr-pm40.html

The pictures are my P9 with pocket holster. The cut angle on the side catches on a pocket corner allowing you to get the gun out and leave the holster in your pocket. The pen and 9mm round are for scale.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk