Author Topic: Inspirational Video, And What Makes Us American...The AR-15  (Read 8318 times)

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Inspirational Video, And What Makes Us American...The AR-15
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2012, 04:55:53 PM »
I never had built an AR, and they have start to finish how to's on you tube, brownell's, and an option is buy a lower, stripped or complete, and save for and upper, stripped or complete, than save for a stock.

A good stripped lower can be found well under $100, with a DPMS/Bushmaster complete lower parts kits, for +/- $50-60.

Presto,...complete lower, $150...

Than complete uppers, standard carbine complete uppers around $300-400. Rock River website has great ones.

Than a stock, standard 6 pos. with tube, buffer and spring, $100 approx, depending on brand....

A bare bones functioning, reliable AR, that can always be "tweaked" down the road. Just a thought....for approx. $500-600...it certainly can be done.

3 daughters, and a wife?  Well,...start with a lower.... ::)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2012, 06:03:42 PM »
A flat top DPMS goes for $500 around here twyacht!  A Stag with optics can be had for not much more.  I'm in trouble because I can't see fixed sights, have to go w/optics all the way.  Might just as well shoot sighting down the flattop.  Oh, I forgot...don't have a place close and cheap to sight in let alone shoot so I'm stuck!  Pay for a place to shoot or buy something to look at and use as a club.

Richard

PS:  Can't afford to do either...had to buy a new washer today!
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »
Anyone have any insight (real insight) to what the better barrel twist is, 1:9 or 1:8? The "experts" at the gun shops don't seem to know any more than us. I'm looking for a dedicated predator rifle. Stag, DPMS, Bushy and Remington. The Remington is the 1:9. Some say that 1:8 is the better all around and is the rate on the new Stag 3G - 3 gun rifle. My biggest problem with that rifle is that the barrel is shiny stainless, waiting to tip off the coyotes. The Remington is balanced really well, but I don't want to have to match camo patterns, if I ever want pop a second upper on it.

My old Colt is a 1:7 carry handle that has never had a single malfunction. It's a great home gun, but night may require some not too fancy fiber-optic sight. I like the defense gun to be simple and batteryfree.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 11:27:40 PM »
PS:  Can't afford to do either...had to buy a new washer today!

You too?  Must be going around, I had to run down Friday after work and buy a new one.  Just $655, 6 months same as cash at Sears  ::)
He who dares wins.  SAS

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 11:37:27 PM »
Anyone have any insight (real insight) to what the better barrel twist is, 1:9 or 1:8? The "experts" at the gun shops don't seem to know any more than us. I'm looking for a dedicated predator rifle. Stag, DPMS, Bushy and Remington. The Remington is the 1:9. Some say that 1:8 is the better all around and is the rate on the new Stag 3G - 3 gun rifle. My biggest problem with that rifle is that the barrel is shiny stainless, waiting to tip off the coyotes. The Remington is balanced really well, but I don't want to have to match camo patterns, if I ever want pop a second upper on it.

My old Colt is a 1:7 carry handle that has never had a single malfunction. It's a great home gun, but night may require some not too fancy fiber-optic sight. I like the defense gun to be simple and batteryfree.

I depends on what the weight of the bullet you intend on shooting.  Lighter bullets can't spin that fast without blowing apart, velocity spins the bullet, so the slow 1:9 (or even slower for the really light stuff-35 or 40 grain) would be ideal.  If you are going to use heavier bullets, ie 77 or 80 grains, the 1:7.  The 1:8 is a compromise, maybe even kind of a gimmick?  1:9 is the suggested general purpose since it can stabilize the lighter stuff and spins the heavier/longer stuff just enough.

Check out the Ammo Oracle at AR15.com that's where I did my research  ;)
He who dares wins.  SAS

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:08:05 AM »

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2012, 11:52:18 PM »
Thanks Magoo! General purpose and versatility are what I'm kind of going for.

I depends on what the weight of the bullet you intend on shooting.  Lighter bullets can't spin that fast without blowing apart, velocity spins the bullet, so the slow 1:9 (or even slower for the really light stuff-35 or 40 grain) would be ideal.  If you are going to use heavier bullets, ie 77 or 80 grains, the 1:7.  The 1:8 is a compromise, maybe even kind of a gimmick?  1:9 is the suggested general purpose since it can stabilize the lighter stuff and spins the heavier/longer stuff just enough.

Check out the Ammo Oracle at AR15.com that's where I did my research  ;)

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »
Thanks Magoo! General purpose and versatility are what I'm kind of going for.

Just remeber you get what you pay for  ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

BAC

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2012, 06:05:47 PM »
Just remeber you get what you pay for  ;D

That's what she said.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2012, 09:21:04 PM »
That's what she said.

In that case I owe my divorce attourney a lot more cash!

But seriously, I talked to one of my shooting buddies today about building an AR, turns out he has most of the AR specific tools (I just have a lot of tools).  Looks like I am going to build one my way  ;)
He who dares wins.  SAS

Rob10ring

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2012, 11:39:46 PM »
Are any of the brands better than the others? Especially those that I listed(Stag, DPMS, Bushy and Remington, etc.)? They all seem to be priced similarly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk