Author Topic: Galvanic Corrosion HELP !!  (Read 4469 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Galvanic Corrosion HELP !!
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2021, 08:50:35 AM »
Vinegar will etch aluminum.... it's one of the things you can pre-treat raw aluminum with to help paint stick better. It might have taken a little longer because the aluminum was anodized, but it'd do it.
Bleach is straight-up corrosive, but it takes time too.

That's handy to know.
I may want to etch "Go f*ck yourself Joe" on an aluminum plate.   ;D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2021, 10:25:27 AM »
So.... Bright and early this morning I went to a door and windows place right down the street from me. I brought my phone and showed the guy the pictures I posted here. He told me he has seen this type of corrosion a lot in this area. It can be a combination of many things. Mostly it's a chemical reaction with the chemical mixture in the concrete, which conducts electricity through the Aluminum track.

Add ground moisture and time, and this is the result. The solution is a new slider, which I expected. He sells Milgard, which is what I had when I replaced the slider in my other house in Glendale. They have several different grades and sizes. For me it will run around $1,400.00 and change for something with halfway decent quality.

He's coming in a couple of weeks to do some exact measuring, then he'll order it and I'll be done. Most all of the models he sells are Vinyl, so this can't happen. (Vinyl doesn't conduct electricity, and is far more corrosion proof). I'm not worried about direct sunlight exposure because it will be protected by the patio roof.

When he's done, it will be done. No painting, stuccoing, trimming, or spackling, on my part. For that price I'm seriously thinking about letting him do both of them. That way they'll match. The screen door on the one in my dining room is a POS that doesn't line up right. He told me it could take 6 to 8 weeks because of Covid. Everything is back ordered, but he told me they are shipping now quite regularly.   

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2021, 11:36:04 AM »
Good deal, Bill.....you beat me to it on the vinyl.
I was going to say, if you replace it, go with vinyl-clad or get the installer to line the opening with a vapor barrier. There's some decent stuff out now for lining door and window openings to prevent direct contact.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2021, 12:01:27 PM »
Good deal, Bill.....you beat me to it on the vinyl.
I was going to say, if you replace it, go with vinyl-clad or get the installer to line the opening with a vapor barrier. There's some decent stuff out now for lining door and window openings to prevent direct contact.

He told me that he was going to do both. After he gets the old track out, he'll scrape, brush, and blow out as much of the contaminated area as possible, then apply a brush on coating. Then over that he'll place a vapor barrier so nothing will be in direct contact with the concrete itself. He said he will guarantee that it will never occur again.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2021, 01:08:46 PM »
So, this morning they delivered and installed both of my new sliding glass doors. I couldn't believe how corroded the old track was! The whole thing just fell apart when he removed it. I was glad to see the concrete under it was in good shape after he scraped and cleaned 30 years of crap off it. There was even a 30 year old cigarette butt in there! The new track is vinyl, so it will never corrode.

The new units fit perfectly. It took 2 guys about 3-1/2 hours start to finish, to remove and install both doors. They really did a nice job. They were both real careful fitting, leveling, adjusting, and caulking everything. Both doors open and close effortlessly with one finger. The only problem is the doors were done before the screen doors were. So once they're delivered they'll come back and install both. That's a 5 minute job. So another worry is behind me.

Now the wife wants new verticals. I can't blame her, the old ones are looking crappy compared to the new doors. She going to call a blind and window treatment guy today, and make an appointment..... More money. :-X

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 02:28:13 AM »

Jim Kennedy-ar154me

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1443
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2021, 02:25:33 PM »

Now the wife wants new verticals. I can't blame her, the old ones are looking crappy compared to the new doors. She going to call a blind and window treatment guy today, and make an appointment..... More money. :-X

The law of unintended consequences!  :o
The time for action is upon us and the enemy is at our gates. Let us not allow them one more inch of advancement but instead throw them through the gates of Hell.

tombogan03884

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2021, 02:38:36 PM »
So, this morning they delivered and installed both of my new sliding glass doors. I couldn't believe how corroded the old track was! The whole thing just fell apart when he removed it. I was glad to see the concrete under it was in good shape after he scraped and cleaned 30 years of crap off it. There was even a 30 year old cigarette butt in there! The new track is vinyl, so it will never corrode.

The new units fit perfectly. It took 2 guys about 3-1/2 hours start to finish, to remove and install both doors. They really did a nice job. They were both real careful fitting, leveling, adjusting, and caulking everything. Both doors open and close effortlessly with one finger. The only problem is the doors were done before the screen doors were. So once they're delivered they'll come back and install both. That's a 5 minute job. So another worry is behind me.

Of course you know the new verticals, and doors will now make the wall finish look old and crappy.   ;D
Then it will be the furniture.
Maybe the other way around .   ;D   ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 454
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2021, 02:44:49 PM »
Of course you know the new verticals, and doors will now make the wall finish look old and crappy.   ;D
Then it will be the furniture.
Maybe the other way around .   ;D   ;D

Give a mouse a cookie.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk