Author Topic: Re: Do you reload???  (Read 22900 times)

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Re: Do you reload???
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2010, 11:28:48 AM »
I've had all the 'stuff' for 45 colt and 44 mag for about 3 years now....maybe someday I get it set up and give it a try!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
Re: Do you reload???
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »
I want to reload. FQ - again, surprise? - misses the point. It is not just a hobby, or a way to save money. It is a life-assuring skill. And in that regard I want to learn it and do my own ammo.

Very good point. Learning how to reload uncovers a wealth of information you otherwise would not know. How pressure effects accuracy. How different overall length can improve or degrade accuracy. What happens to the cartridge brass metallurgically when it goes through the reloading process. How different powders effect velocity, accuracy, as well as pressure. It is all but endless. I don't think there is a reloader out there, regardless of experience, or amount of rounds loaded, that isn't still learning. I'll put myself at the head of the list.   Bill T.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: Flambeau (was: Do you reload???)
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2010, 02:41:04 PM »
I'm surprised by the whole "limited run" thing. It's not as if it's a collector plate or something.

"limited run"  were my words not theirs.  I think as you said, they made a huge quantity, distributed them and then decided there were more profitable ways to use their time and equipment.   

They have become somewhat of a collectible....or at least desirable. Sort of a very small niche thing among reloaders from the '70s.   I've seen $8-$9 advertised for used ones, which I'd be willing to pay if I could find some.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Funseeker

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 01:59:53 AM »
Yup, me too!  I still think of myself as a beginner.  I reload .38, .357, 9mm, .45ACP for side arms and 7.62x39 and .308 Win for my long guns.  Just stated out with a simple Lee turret press, and now adding a Rock Chucker to the mix for the .308.  I've been reading every manual I can get my hands on as well as on-line resources.  (You can never read enough.)   Some on-line forms can be helpful, but use you BS filter on the data until you can find the reliable posters.  (Not like we would have to worry about that here on DRTV, at least I hope we have a higher caliber of people amongst us. (Pardon the pun.)

I use both manual powder load management, as well as the disk set-up that came with the Lee kit, back checking it often.  "Accuracy-ness is next to godliness" ;D.  Especially when my fingers, face, and other body parts are concerned........    And talking to other reloaders, in person, to help you finesse you technique is a real plus, too.
Duct tape is like 'The Force'. It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

shooter32

• shooter32
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 09:27:35 AM »
Just getting started.

9mm and .223, hope to add .38 spl and .357 mag. soon.
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Sponsor

Re: Re: Do you reload???
« Reply #25 on: Today at 04:06:05 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 02:03:06 PM »
I have everything needed to load .45acp, .44 spl/mag, .30-06, .243win now and will add .223 and .308win dies soon.
My hold up is finding room to set up a permanent loading bench for my Dillon RL550 and Lee single-stages. Plumb shameful that I've had the Dillon since '98 or so and it is still in the box  :-[ .
When my older son got married and moved out, I targeted his old room....but alas, the m-i-l had to have a room to sleep in when she comes to visit.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

CJS3

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 08:57:01 PM »
I started reloading in 91. Now it's the only way I can actually afford to shoot.

380, 9mm, 38S&W, 38/357, 44/44mag, 45ACP/AR, 45Colt
.223, 30-30, 243, 308, 30-06, 7.62x54(hunting rounds)

I've got dies for, but don't reload 32 auto, 9 MAK, and 7.62x39.
I got rid of my 32 and the last two calibers are still pretty cheap for store bought.

I try to keep 500 rounds of each on hand for that spur of the moment trip to the range, but the garage is hot and humid during the summer on the gulf coast. I've been somewhat remiss on my reloading duties.
Children, pets, and slaves are taken care of. Free Men take care of themselves.

m25operator

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 09:27:22 PM »
Lot of good stuff here, now some tips, mount your presses on 3/4" particle board or plywood, and then you can C clamp it to the table, next with a single stage press, do it in batches, clean cases, don't deprime 1st as you have to dig out the media from the primer hole, now resize and deprime, and on once fired rifle brass, meant for accuracy, deburr the flash hole, from the inside out, Now if you have adjusted your resizer, to just neck size ( for accuracy )  of have small based resized for Semi auto firing,  both have their place, the place the appropriate amount of powder and seat the bullet to the correct overall length, take a little time with this as this is where accuracy really begins to start. Neck crimp is a personal decision also, if you cannot push the bullet back, against the bench by hard hand pressure, then you don't need t further crimp it further, however if it does move farther down the case, you do need to.

To be continued and best of luck.
" The Pact, to defend, if not TO AVENGE '  Tarna the Tarachian.

philw

• Top Forum Member
  • Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »
m25

that is why I started the the set up thread  ;D

sounds good though

I have seen a bench that had bits of ply wood that you slide in to the bench and swap them over with different bits

I think it was in rifleman mag
Here’s to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules. And they have no respect for the status quo. You can praise them, disagree with them, quote them, disbelieve them, glorify or vilify them. The only thing you can’t do is ignore them

bucktracker

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 05:59:37 PM »

I love people who dont reload. Leaving all your once fired brass next to me at the range. THANK YOU! Its brass gold.Especially odd ball calibers that are expensive and or hard to find.
I started reloading 6 months ago.Ive been meaning to do it for years,(saved all my brass) but didn't cough up the money to get started.Figured I could just buy more ammo. Its paying off now.Reloading I found to be a love /hate relationship.I knew no one whom reloaded, and it was tough for me to pony up the money when I didn't believe I could do it. Turns out reloading is caveman simple as long as you follow proper recipies and pay attention.Go to a reloading clinic or ask local pro's. I'm cooking up some hot 10mm loads now on my hornady reloading kit and lee dies. Bought a real nice rcbs10-10 beam scale after frustrations with a digital one. I say just do it! its rewarding and you can now buy weapons that shoot expensive ammo!
"Live free or Die"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk