Author Topic: used airgun pellets ok to cast for 7.62x39  (Read 5757 times)

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
used airgun pellets ok to cast for 7.62x39
« on: January 13, 2011, 09:15:55 AM »
worked the airgun range at a sports show years ago and when cleaning up got the bright idea to keep the pellets off the floor and I have maybe 20 lbs worth.  They're a mix of plain old daisy and crossman.

would these be 'hard enough' for use with 7.62x39 plinking rounds?  Maybe with some wheel weights thrown in?
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Re: used airgun pellets ok to cast for 7.62x39
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:34:38 AM »
Airgun pellets are pretty soft.   Possibly even too soft for muzzle-loading mini-balls.   

You're going to have to throw in some harder metals for sure.  Do you have a hardness tester of some sort?
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:22:52 AM »
Airgun pellets are pretty soft.   Possibly even too soft for muzzle-loading mini-balls.   

You're going to have to throw in some harder metals for sure.  Do you have a hardness tester of some sort?

no such thing as too soft for minnie balls! :D

hardness tester - I got pocket knife and finger nails!
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 12:20:29 PM »
don't think you would be able to find lino type metal any more but that would harden up soft lead.

I have heard that wheel weights work too, but I've not tried them.  If you have a contact at a local garage or tire company, you might be able to get the scrap weights they take off old tires, but, now days, not  much is considered scrap.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2011, 05:35:07 AM »
If you can't use them you might be able to sell/trade them for guys that make their own jig heads. At least you'd get something for them. If you fish, you could buy a few molds ad save dollars on tackle. 20pounds =a lot of jigs, jerkbaits, worms etc..
FQ13

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 04:16:58 PM »

tommy tornado

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 12:06:31 PM »
Airgun pellets are pretty soft.   Possibly even too soft for muzzle-loading mini-balls.  

You're going to have to throw in some harder metals for sure.  Do you have a hardness tester of some sort?

For a muzzle-loader you want soft lead.

I would say it couldn't hurt to try.  I would make up about 20 of them and see how they shoot.  Don't know what kind of lube you would use but I would try that liquid Lee stuff.  Also if your bullet takes copper gas checks that should help as well.  I probably would stick to the lower side on velocity (lighter loads).

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 05:39:00 AM »
Most air rifle pellets are pure, soft lead. This is so the thin skirts of the pellets will expand at the modest pressures they operate at. Good for muzzle loading, but too soft for modern smokeless, centerfire, cast bullet loads. A little Tin and Antimony will harden it right up. The problem today is finding a cost effective source for it. As was mentioned Linotype metal is pretty much a thing of the past. A bit like finding a Silver quarter in your vending machine change.

A lot of shot sold today has 5% Antimony mixed into it for hardness. The problem is that is expensive as well. 25 pounds of shot is still over the $30.00 mark. Scrap yards are a good way to go, but many can only buy lead and alloyed lead, but cannot sell it except to licensed smelting operations. All of this is a result of the "big lead scare". People today act like they're dropping like flies from the stuff.

I would say wheel weights are the way to go if you can manage to find a source. The bigger tire stores like Goodyear and Big-O have buyers for the stuff, but you might be able to work out a deal with some of the smaller local operations. It takes legwork and a lot of calling, but it can be done. Once you find a source they can keep you supplied for a long time. Especially if you take care of the owner with a fifth of Jack Daniel's at Christmas time!  Bill T.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk