Author Topic: how to clean up some really NASTY bullets  (Read 13179 times)

tombogan03884

Re: how to clean up some really NASTY bullets
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 08:04:47 PM »
Hi;

Why is Brasso  a  No-No  on brass?

I think it is because some of the components will kill primers.

langloisandy

• Very Active Forum Member
    • Andys Leather!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 07:04:27 AM »
Gents,

I keep a batch of corncob on hand with a couple of handfuls of washed gravel tossed in. I use this to tumble my buckles and sling hardware prior to Duracoating them. Works AWESOME for cleaning stuff up. I have used straight washed gravel for other items (steel stuff, rust removal) works GREAT!

Andy
Andy
www.andysleather.com
Ask me about Scout Rifle Slings ( www.scoutrifle.org )

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »
Hi;

Why is Brasso  a  No-No  on brass?

the ammonia can weaken cases - makes sense - sorta - but then why do some powders have a ammonia smell to them, maybe it'd they have an ammonia-LIKE smell to them   
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

billt

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 06:49:45 AM »
Stay away from Simple Green for cleaning brass and copper. Prolonged exposure to it will cause many non ferrous metals to turn black. I found this out at a place where I worked about 10 years ago. They tried cleaning a bunch of small brass parts in it for several hours. When they took them out they were all black.  Bill T.

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 08:32:49 PM »
Stay away from Simple Green for cleaning brass and copper. Prolonged exposure to it will cause many non ferrous metals to turn black. I found this out at a place where I worked about 10 years ago. They tried cleaning a bunch of small brass parts in it for several hours. When they took them out they were all black.  Bill T.

Tactical black cases.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:40:16 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk