Author Topic: Federal .45 ACP Primer differences  (Read 12791 times)

Timothy

Re: Federal .45 ACP Primer differences
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 06:32:31 PM »
If you weren't joking, Pecos, it's just not true.  The outside case dimension must stay exactly the same or the round won't chamber properly.

The smaller box size was due to the use of a cartridge tray with thinner walls.

I assumed he was being sarcastic...when is Marshal going to invent the sarcasm emoticon?

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 08:55:16 AM »
I assumed he was being sarcastic...when is Marshal going to invent the sarcasm emoticon?

I figured he must be too...but there wasn't any kind of Smiley three and I thought it couldn't hurt to point it out...just in case for anyone who might not know.....and now I feel dumb for thinking someone here might not understand that....but maybe we have a real novice lurker around...yeah..that's it...I said it for all the rookie lurkers here  ;D ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 10:24:45 AM »
I figured he must be too...but there wasn't any kind of Smiley three and I thought it couldn't hurt to point it out...just in case for anyone who might not know.....and now I feel dumb for thinking someone here might not understand that....but maybe we have a real novice lurker around...yeah..that's it...I said it for all the rookie lurkers here  ;D ;D

Dude, We DO have some members who are really new to shooting and may not realize these things.
Wasn't there a thread about "first handgun" advice a while back ?

I use the "rolling eyes", same as when I'm talking to an idiot liberal .    ::)

Pecos Bill

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 08:30:50 PM »
You guys have GOT to be kidding! Any case of smaller diameter for 45 ACP would not have room for a .452 bullet. Raed the second paragraph again and you'll find I started it with "Actually", sort of implies that I was joking. Get a sense of humor, please.

Pecos
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress, but I repeat myself." - Mark Twain

Timothy

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »
You guys have GOT to be kidding! Any case of smaller diameter for 45 ACP would not have room for a .452 bullet. Raed the second paragraph again and you'll find I started it with "Actually", sort of implies that I was joking. Get a sense of humor, please.

Pecos

You had me at Hello!

;D

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 04:04:58 PM »

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 07:23:08 AM »
HAHAHAHAHA
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

downwind

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 08:56:16 AM »
New to the forum, so don't know what previous posts had to say about this, but it IS a pain when reloading brass scavenged from the range. I was surprised to see the Federal rounds put up with the small primers. I had seen Speer & Blazer headstamps having them & found out they were put up on their frangible & non-toxic ammo, as a previous poster noted.

One thing I did notice on the Speer & Blazer brass, and this is a concave look to the base. It really stands out when placed side by side along other brass, so this might help in identifying these from regular brass with large primers.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 879
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 10:30:17 AM »
downwind,

It is a pain even when you are purchasing new ammunition to gain your brass.  That is how this all started.  Also, look out for Winchester's Win-Clean.  The primer flashhole is a pan with small indirect holes in it.  It is like ramming your decapping pin through a solid sheet of brass ... and the brass wins  :'(  This was discussed a couple years ago.

In handgun and shotshell reloading we tend to get into the mass production mode and forget to inspect everything closely.  It is issues like this that we need to discuss so we are reminded to slow down and double check.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 04:25:16 PM »
....remind us to slow down and double check.

Amen.   
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

marine68

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 04:40:09 PM »
i once discarded some of that small primer 45 brass and was told to just load with Small pistol primers on my Dillon press; Since I also load calibers using them all I needed to do was leave the small primer cup on the machine when reloading them. I find them to be almost the same as using large pistol primers (a Hair slower muzzle velocity) but if want more slightly more heat, I  just use Magnum small pistol primers instead. I love them!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk