Author Topic: Buckshot loads for .30 caliber firearms.  (Read 14982 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Buckshot loads for .30 caliber firearms.
« on: March 29, 2012, 12:54:28 PM »
Not sure why I found this so interesting, but here is what I have fund out.  None of this information is mine, but I've included links so you can determine if the source is trustworthy, should you too be interested.

0 buckshot diameter .320 which happens to be the shot size closest to .308 without going under.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3gr Unique 0 buckshot sized with  a Brown Bear steel case 1030fps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJMLuQQ45QM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Buckshot Option

Even more versatility may be derived in .30-caliber rifles by substituting a single 0-Buckshot round lead ball for a more conventional bullet. (A single 0-Buck round lead ball weighs is .32-inch in diameter and weighs 48 grains.) A charge of 3.0 grains of Bullseye powder is usually suggested, topped by a tuft of Dacron of Kapok fiber and then the lead ball. This comes close to replicating what the old Lyman handbooks called "the ideal cellar and small-game load," and is suitable for most of the major .30-caliber rifles (including the .30-’06 Springfield, .308 Winchester, .30-30 Winchester, .300 Savage, and .30-40 Krag).

http://www.woodsdrummer.com/ml07.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For a really inexpensive 25 yd plinking load try using a 0 buck shot pellet lightly lubed with Lee "Liquid Alox" and press fitted half way into the mouth of neck sized .30 cal cartridge on top of 3.0 gr of Bullseye.  Because of the small charge you should elevate the muzzle before firing to move the powder next to the primer.  A pound of Bullseye and a bag of 0 buck will keep you in plinking ammo for a long time.  A variation on this load is made by using a 00 buck pellet seated on top of a .30 cal gas check and run through a .308 bullet swaging die on your luber/sizer.

http://www.frfrogspad.com/miscellg.htm#practice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. The Buckshot Option
 a. 30-caliber rifles loaded with a single 0-Buckshot, .32-inch diameter, 48 gr., round lead ball.
 b. 3.0 grains of Bullseye powder with Dacron of Kapok fiber and then the lead ball.
 c. called "the ideal cellar and small-game load," and is suitable for most of the major .30-caliber rifles (including the .30-’06 Springfield, .308 Winchester, .30-30 Winchester, .300 Savage, and .30-40 Krag).

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=1855

A lot of other info on low power .30 caliber loads at that link, including one described as "almost silent" shooting a 220gr bullet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just thought I'd share something cool I learned from a friend. You can have a fairly effective small game rifle by using a .30 caliber rifle and single 0 buckshot. The "recipe" is to use a 22lr case to charge the 30 caliber case with bullseye powder and place the ball by hand into the case, resizing not necessary. Apparently leading issues are negated by the extremely low velocities. Should hit POA out to 50 yards and is extremely quiet. I'm not an expert, try at your own risk

http://www.missouriwhitetails.com/forums/viewthread.php?action=printable&fid=41&tid=140487

Picture of the loading setup (similar to what was in the video Whit posted)

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
    • Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Blog
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Buckshot loads for .30 caliber firearms.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »
Picture of the loading setup (similar to what was in the video Whit posted)

Actually, that is a picture of my rifle (Rem 700 BDL in 30-06), that same can of Bullseye and the powder scoop made for my by my scoutmaster back when I was just a pup - scouts used to do fun things like shooting back in the day.

wtr100

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 02:10:45 PM »
Actually, that is a picture of my rifle (Rem 700 BDL in 30-06), that same can of Bullseye and the powder scoop made for my by my scoutmaster back when I was just a pup - scouts used to do fun things like shooting back in the day.

We still shoot, my troop burned through over 1,000 rounds of 20 gauge in 1 day at a recent camp-out and hundreds of boys learn to shoot .22 rifles are our council summer camp
Have your musket clean as a whistle, hatchet scoured, 60 rounds powder and ball and be ready to march at a minute's warning.

Whit Spurzon

• Forum Member
    • Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle Blog
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 06:20:15 PM »
That is good to hear.  Shooting, reloading, hunter safety, etc are among the many things I learned in Scouts that I still enjoy today. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk