Author Topic: EOTWAWKI Reloading Setup  (Read 6141 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
EOTWAWKI Reloading Setup
« on: May 16, 2012, 12:07:05 PM »
The thread about the Lee Auto disk powder measure got me thinking about other Lee gear.  My knowledge is limited, but the only manufacture I can recall that makes a nice line of hand held reloading gear is Lee.  I do remember some hand presses by another manufacturer, but I don't recall the name.

What I hope to come up with is a set of options to do reloading without an elaborate bench set up.  Should you have to head for the hills, hauling your powder, cases, primers and bullets will be enough of a task without trying to strap that big bench to the top of the ATV.

Again, my knowledge is limited, but I do recall that the Lee gear would not full length resize, which shouldn't be to much of a problem if you are just loading for your own weapons.  But something sticks in my mind that you might want to full length in semi-autos to ensure ease of chambering as the weapon cycles.

Anyway, I'd like to get what experience we have with this kind of setup.  We would need to decap, size, expand, prime, charge, seat and crimp along with case maintenance type of chores like case trimming and primer pocket cleanup.

I have seen much, if not all, of that gear from some vendor or other....most from Lee as I said, but I am sure I don't have a line on the best options for all of that.

If anyone is interested, let us know what you know.

Thanks and take care.
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
Re: EOTWAWKI Reloading Setup
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 12:34:14 PM »
There is a guy at our range that carried everything he need to do load work-up at the range. It all fits in a medium-to large soft-sided fishing tackle type box similar to what I have linked below. He uses two of the older Lee single-stage C-frame presses and has a piece of rectangular 3/4" plywood that he bolts them to. He then clamps it to the shooting table and loads ten round at a time. He has a small digital scale and uses the plastic Plano containers to keep the dies and other smaller items.

Another guy who travels and shoots in long range matches actually has a complete Dillon progressive set-up that mounts to the receiver hitch on his truck so he can load batches at the range. His equipment is in a fitted aluminum case that was custom built. He is the extreme, IMHO, as he also has a barrel vise that uses the hitch so he can actually change barrels.

I do not have photos (I never think to take a camera to the range) but if I ever cross paths with him again while he is set up, I'll at least try to take some cell phone pics.

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 01:14:20 PM »
Here's a press that pretty much fits in your pocket.
I've seen it in Cheaper than Dirt and Sportsman's guide as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-lee-hand-press-reloading-kit-3.shtml

The weak point with reloading is primers.
While you may be able to make your own powder, even smokeless if you have some chemistry background, you can not make your own primers.
To truly prepare for for a long term interruption of normal supply chains it might be a good idea to invest in things like Flintlock fire arms or becoming proficient with a bow.

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 04:16:11 PM »
Here's a press that pretty much fits in your pocket.
I've seen it in Cheaper than Dirt and Sportsman's guide as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-lee-hand-press-reloading-kit-3.shtml

The weak point with reloading is primers.
While you may be able to make your own powder, even smokeless if you have some chemistry background, you can not make your own primers.
To truly prepare for for a long term interruption of normal supply chains it might be a good idea to invest in things like Flintlock fire arms or becoming proficient with a bow.

well...................

I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »
Lyman used to have hand held loading gear but I am not sure if they have it anymore.  Might find it at a gunshow though.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 11:18:04 AM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 05:24:54 AM »

A cross bow and extra strings, of course.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 04:27:23 AM »
Skip the reloading and invest in 22lr.  There is no game you can not kill in NA.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »
Skip the reloading and invest in 22lr.  There is no game you can not kill in NA.

Well, sure, but if that game happens to be carrying AR15s and Glock 21s, you are gonna need to be a pretty good stalker  ;D ;D ;D
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk