Author Topic: Tips for Reloading (and other stuff) from UniqueTek  (Read 3402 times)

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
Tips for Reloading (and other stuff) from UniqueTek
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:53:23 AM »
I  have been a UniqueTek customer for several years.  They have some useful products for reloaders using Dillon and other machines...plus some other useful gear for shooters.

The also have 11, soon to be 12, free "Tips" files.

You will need to supply your email address to receive them.  They do send an email highlighting their products but I don't consider it spam and you can opt out of the mailing list. 

I received all of the files with a single email by requesting all of them at once.

The list is below and here is a link should you have an interest in any of them: http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/page/217691

Our "Tips" Library
To receive previously published "Tips" files, just send an e-mail request to info@uniquetek.com and mention the "Tips" file by name.

Tips File #1: "20 Tips for Powder Measure Accuracy" --- updated 11/16/11

Tips File #2: "14 Tips for Electronic Powder Scale Accuracy" --- updated 4/12

Tips File #3: "12 Tips for Steel Challenge Competition" --- added 10/05

Tips File #4: "Adjustable Low Powder Sensor" --- added 10/07

Tips File #5: "Cleaning Precision Optics" --- updated 02/12

Tips File #6: "Using Calipers for Handloading" --- added 2/7/09

Tips File #7: "Humidity & Handloading" --- added 6/2/09

Tips File #8: "Cartridge Case Lubrication" --- added 2/22/10

Tips File #9: "Ultrasonic Cleaning of Firearms" --- updated 12/12/11

Tips File #10: "Bullet Seating Stem Customization" --- added 4/28/11

Tips File #11: "Using Clay Target Hangers with a Target Stand" --- added 9/24/11

Tips File #12: "Resizing Bulged Brass" --- Coming Soon
Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tips for Reloading (and other stuff) from UniqueTek
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »
I followed your lead Solus and received the entire 12 tips in my email box Tuesday at work.  I've only had a chance to review a few of them but they are well worth the price of admission.

Anyone have any reloading tips of their own they'd like to share?

My tip:  Keep the area clean and get comfortable, ergonomics will let you get more done in less time and keeping the area clean is more than just sweeping up the spent primers.  Put components within easy reach, the most often used items should be the closest and the least items furthest away (a little 5S for you).
He who dares wins.  SAS

les snyder

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tips for Reloading (and other stuff) from UniqueTek
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »
without looking at the "tips"

stand up, use a hard mount if you use Dillon machines and roller handle... this will help prevent tendonitis

place a bright spot light directly over the bullet seating die ....if you have a case feeder, check that the incoming case is empty, and at the bullet seating station that the case has powder....use a powder that fills a significant portion of the case

no food or drink... all lead compounds are poisonous...wash hands when through

mark a pair of lines on your reloading bench, level bench, and place your powder scale in the same position every time...have calibration masses or several factory bullets to determine the accuracy of your scale (but it is all relative anyway)... do not place a pan balance on a styrofoam box as the static charge can mess up the reading

drop 10 charges before adjusting powder measure and move the decimal... eg.. 10 charges that equal 41 grains = 4.1 grains per charge...when you adjust your powder measure, throw out the first drop as it is on the old setting

don't look over the primer fill tube when filling... a detonation is pretty spectacular and will mess up your ceiling or anything between it

stop if someone comes into the reloading room

if you shoot autoloaders, Lee carbide sizing dies size further down the case..  if you shoot autoloaders with SWC, that there is a little shoulder of bullet that engages the ramp and act like a "shear"....taper crimp should just straighten out the case bell, with no sharp edge... too tight a crimp will cause keyhole problems...check for casting flash on LRN cast bullets that may not allow correct bullet chambering

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk