Author Topic: Suppressor/Silencer help  (Read 10813 times)

ske1eter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Suppressor/Silencer help
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2011, 07:13:07 PM »
What Rastus said.

I have 2 cans. I love them both, though I don't use them as often as I thought I would. Mostly because they are a pain to clean. Definitely a fun toy. Both of mine are Gemtech. I have never had a problem with either of them.

I've not shot my Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 7.62 can (it's the quick disconnect model) yet on my .308 Savage as I need to get a scope mount and rings for the rifle. I have tried a few shots with it on my .223. It's certainly not silent but I can definitely shoot without earmuffs.

I use my .22LR suppressor almost every time I go shooting. I put on my Buckmark and AR conversion upper. Supposedly one can get a desktop sandblasting setup from Harbor Freight that makes cleaning the lead off a breeze. I've not done that yet but cleaning them can be a bit of a pain but I probably had 1000 rds. through mine before it was cleaned. Sure there was some lead build up but nothing horrendous.

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 08:41:02 AM »
I've not shot my Yankee Hill Machine Phantom 7.62 can (it's the quick disconnect model) yet on my .308 Savage as I need to get a scope mount and rings for the rifle. I have tried a few shots with it on my .223. It's certainly not silent but I can definitely shoot without earmuffs.

I use my .22LR suppressor almost every time I go shooting. I put on my Buckmark and AR conversion upper. Supposedly one can get a desktop sandblasting setup from Harbor Freight that makes cleaning the lead off a breeze. I've not done that yet but cleaning them can be a bit of a pain but I probably had 1000 rds. through mine before it was cleaned. Sure there was some lead build up but nothing horrendous.

Sandblasting to clean? I never even considered that. I would worry about damaging a part. Have you done this with your suppressor before? If so, how did it go?
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

ske1eter

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 05:57:12 PM »
Nope, as mentioned, I've not tried it. Apparently there are different media that you can use that have abrasion characteristics so you can find one that doesn't damage the baffles. I forget where I heard this at, maybe silencertalk.com.

JC5123

• Top Forum Member
  • Fortune sides with him who dares.
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 05:58:47 PM »
Something to look into. Thanks for the input.
I am a member of my nation's chosen soldiery.
God grant that I may not be found wanting,
that I will not fail this sacred trust.

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 08:17:02 PM »
Nope, as mentioned, I've not tried it. Apparently there are different media that you can use that have abrasion characteristics so you can find one that doesn't damage the baffles. I forget where I heard this at, maybe silencertalk.com.

That's correct,the finest I have used was a white that was almost dust. they make even finer grit than that.
I would however put masking tape over any threads.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 07:16:31 AM »

blackwolfe

• A Simple Man
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »
On one of the previously mentioned silencer sites I think I read that someone was using a bead blaster, others were using ultrasonic cleaners.
"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. "    Abraham Lincoln

Wolfe

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2011, 12:32:16 AM »
the dishwasher... just not when the wife is home...

just trust me on that, both parts.   ;D
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk