Author Topic: To SBR or not to SBR?  (Read 8210 times)

BAC

To SBR or not to SBR?
« on: October 30, 2012, 12:54:49 PM »
I've been dreaming of an Auto-Ordnance Tommy Gun lately.  Not that I can actually afford one, but that's neither here nor there.  The thing is it just doesn't look right with a 16" barrel (IMO).

My question to the group is do you think it's worth it to go through the hassle, extra expense, time, and BATFE anal probe just to get an SBR Tommy Gun that looks more authentic?  It's still just a semi-auto carbine after all.

I keep going back and forth on it.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: To SBR or not to SBR?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »
I agree they don't look "right" with the 16" barrel but as far as worth the $200 stamp (I don't think there is much more from the FBI-its just a tax to them) that would be entirely up to you.  Semi-auto Tommy guns go for ~$1200 so an additional $200 is only a 17% increase if you can get a SBR for the same price.  I'd do it  ;D
He who dares wins.  SAS

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 06:42:32 PM »
If you're going to pay the $200 tax stamp you might as well get full auto.

Timothy

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 06:47:52 PM »
Hell, there is a bit more than just a stamp here where they're made but it would still be worth the money.  I'd be limited to 10 round stick mags but what the heck!

Need the full auto license here as well...they don't come easy!

BAC

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 06:55:21 PM »
Tom, I don't have the money to buy the semi-auto, where would I get the money for a full-auto?  A leetle more than $200 extra there.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:26:06 PM »

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 07:06:21 PM »
They make a tommy gun pistol and it's cheaper than the SBR but it just doesn't look right to me. Too bad you can't put a vertical fore grip on it. http://www.auto-ordnance.com/Firearms/Thompson-TA5100D.asp
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

2HOW

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »
Get a Draco or a mini Draco, 762x39 in a compact package, hi cap , ass kickin  ;D
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

BAC

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 07:34:01 PM »
How about a full-auto SBR Thompson for $200 that you can have shipped directly to your house without filling out any paperwork?

Airsoft!

unclejames

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 08:31:35 PM »
Most transferable Thompsons begin at 20K and go up from their. Get the SBR semi auto. You should get the gun you really want , you 'll have it for a long long time. It would suck to own a gun that reminds you that you settled for less each time you pick it up. As far as the process of background/transfer stamp tax its not as bad as people make it sound. You need a passport type photo , finger print cards and the signature of the CLEO in your area. The paperwork is no worse than buying most firearms. The tough part is waiting for an indeterminate amount of time. The funny thing is that they cash the check with in days of receiving it, but you still wait for months to receive approval. Do it you will be glad you did.

tombogan03884

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »
Personally I would not.
Even without the tax stamp it's a lot of money to lay out for what is basically a toy, it will go to the range a few times till the novelty wears off then it will sit in the safe only to be fired once or twice a year.
I would spend the money on ammo, or guns you would get more use out of.
If you must have a .45 carbine get either a Marlin Camp 45 (Looks just like the WWII Reising SMG ) or a .45 upper for an AR.
Unless you plan on joining the "Zoot Shooters" then ignore everything I'm posting.  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk