Author Topic: Mosin-Nagant Project  (Read 26941 times)

tombogan03884

Re: Mosin-Nagant Project
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 10:20:05 AM »
TAB and Peg posted my first thoughts when I saw the mount.
Keep us posted .  ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2014, 07:58:46 PM »
Why yes a Mosin's barrel is tapered.  That's why there are various sizes of this ring.  You buy the size that comes closest to how much barrel you have left. 

I'll look at their directions first, but Tab and Peg all good suggestions.   I suspect once snug and centered a few taps with the hammer and then set the screws (with LocTite) and it'll be done.  I 'll see what they recommend.   It'll be good to wrap this project up.   if I can get it done by Friday morning then I could go to the 100yd range and sight all these rifle in properly.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

Big Frank

• NRA Benefactor Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1103
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2014, 02:07:26 PM »
When you screw in the set screws it should make a mark that you can see when you take it back off. Then you would know where to put the dimples or flats if you choose to do so.
""It may be laid down as a primary position, and the basis of our system, that every Citizen who enjoys the protection of a free Government, owes not only a proportion of his property, but even his personal services to the defence of it, and consequently that the Citizens of America (with a few legal and official exceptions) from 18 to 50 Years of Age should be borne on the Militia Rolls, provided with uniform Arms, and so far accustomed to the use of them, that the Total strength of the Country might be called forth at a Short Notice on any very interesting Emergency." - George Washington. Letter to Alexander Hamilton, Friday, May 02, 1783

THE RIGHT TO BUY WEAPONS IS THE RIGHT TO BE FREE - A. E. van Vogt, The Weapon Shops of Isher

tombogan03884

« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2014, 03:16:17 PM »
if you don't put them there (flats or dimples) the set screws are useless as they will just slide on the round barrel, they will work forward and the whole sight will fall off.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2015, 07:14:05 AM »
Okay, as you may have noted from the FedEx thread, the slip-on barrel mount came.

I followed their instructions, which included pushing, with a hammer, the ring as far on the barrel as far as possible.  I drilled a barrel sized hole in a 2x4, slipped it over the barrel and used that as a way to really drive the ring as far onto the barrel as possible with the hammer.  The set screws are offset and were very pointed, so in theory any attempt turn the ring one way or another is met by resistance from the screw on the the opposite side.  Kudos to Brass Stacker for a very neat little product.  They have lots of neato products for various platforms.  http://brassstacker.com/

So all that remains is to sight in.

Another one project completed.

Two things I'd never really noticed about the Mosin-Nagant, and I'm sure it may vary depending on model.  First there's no safety.  Load and shoot.   I'm fine with that, just never really noticed before.  Secondly I like the finger notch, if that's what it is, behind the trigger guard.  A nice touch in shooting comfort.  Not something you'd expect to see on an old miltary rifle.
Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #45 on: Today at 12:34:52 PM »

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1030
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 03:03:43 PM »
Good to see it finally coming together, Alf...... looks good.
"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

dipisc

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »
Hi;

The safety on the Mosin is on the bolt. Pull back on the round knob and turn either left or right ( I forgot which ). Try this while no rounds are in the weapon.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »
I don't want to know that, dipsic.   Now I'll be fretting over whether the safety is on or off.   I'm better just thinking:  Bolt open - safe.  Bolt closed - shoot.   

And what good does it do to try this with no rounds in the gun?   I mean how do I know it wouldn't go off?  Here, hold my beer.  What's the worst that could happen?

Will work for ammo

tombogan03884

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2015, 12:49:59 PM »
Still waiting to hear how it shoots !  ;D

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2015, 05:04:43 AM »
Still waiting to hear how it shoots !  ;D

Still waiting for the stars of Friday to align with warm weather and a real day off.

Alf
Will work for ammo

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk