Author Topic: Pellet guns?  (Read 5164 times)

mortdooley

• The U.S. Constitution poses no serious threat to our form of government..
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pellet guns?
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »
 I hope you have checked local laws in your area about shooting air and spring powered pellet guns. We had a Galveston Police Officer sheepishly inform us even shooting a BB gun was against City Ordinances and we needed to stop. A paranoid neighbor far out of range had called to complain and he had to make an appearance.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.”

- – Voltaire

You don't have to burn books to destroy a culture. Just get people to stop reading them.--Ray Bradbury

alfack

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2015, 07:42:05 PM »
PCPs are the way to go for accuracy and quietness, but they do cost a lot more than your typical BB gun. You don't need an air tank to fill them. I use a hand pump for mine. If you use a micro-bore hose on the pump, they are quite efficient. You can usually get 30 good powerful shots of .22 cal from one fill and you can leave the rifle filled up, so it will always be ready. If you have some budget, I would check out the Benjamin Marauder. They are about as cheap as you can get into a PCP for. If you like the higher end stuff, check out Rapid Air Weapons. They make some really nice pieces.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2015, 08:10:33 PM »
Yea, I had a 760 myself, circa 1968-69.  It dispatched a fair share of critters in it's day!  Eventually, I graduated to my Grandpaps Savage 1903 that I still have today!  Amazing that you can find basically the same rifle that was for sale in 1964. 

I thought I could pump it 100 times and knock down a "grizzle bear" but I was 10 years old!

I got mine for my birthday in 1968, and in that era you could give them 25 pumps.  I bought a replacement a few years ago, and the lit states 10 pumps.  I haven't tested beyond five, because three is enough for a squirrel or sparrow on the planter or railing.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

santahog

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2015, 06:42:40 AM »
I got mine for my birthday in 1968, and in that era you could give them 25 pumps.  I bought a replacement a few years ago, and the lit states 10 pumps.  I haven't tested beyond five, because three is enough for a squirrel or sparrow on the planter or railing.
I got my 760 about the same time, and I'm a little ashamed of all I did with it back then.. No grizzly bears but I figured out pretty quick that you could turn it into a scattergun.. I didn't have anybody to take me in hand much back then.. I met the 10 pump limit with never less than 14 pumps.. Once I wore it out a little, I took to doing the BB Shot thing. My first reality check was a rabbit that I "knocked down" (with 13 BBs). It didn't die cleanly and it took me forever to finally make it stop suffering.. It hurt me, and began to wise my very young hind-end up about shooting living things..
(God made a better Daddy to me than daddy did, but that was among my first experiences with that at the time..)
I don't want to do the Crossman thing, but I swear!! I put a GA tag on the car and they wanted $1,000 Bucks!! They let you finance half of it over a year! They know it's too much to be charging somebody for a tag!! The Acquisitions Dept has been under alot of strain since Santa Claws started bumming smokes last fall!
So far, homework has taken me to consider maybe a RWS underlever, but GOOD GRAVY folks! I could buy a GLOCK and a couple of extra magazines for that!!!
Is there any problem with putting a cheapie little $50 red/green dot on something like that? I've got a "extra?" 3x Sig sight around here somewhere. Does an optic have to be some special ju-ju kinda thing? Surely not, right?! (I know. Don't call me Shirley..)
With friends like these, who needs hallucinations!..

tombogan03884

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2015, 07:16:52 AM »
For a scope it has to be for air guns because the recoil is different and supposedly will wreck a regular scope.
I haven't heard either way about red dots.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 01:44:58 AM »

Timothy

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2015, 07:22:26 AM »

I recall we could buy these cool little fletched darts for the 760 as well.  I mostly used BB unless we were hunting then pellets were in the "loadout"!

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2015, 05:30:40 PM »
Santahog, that's why a decent short range nitrogen piston barrel cocker is probably the best for you. 

All the standard bb gun makers have them.  Under $200.  Easy to put into action.  And you can get them with in a combo package with a scope.    Ready to dispatch.

I've only owned the Benjamin Nitro for a couple of years but it's put away at least 100 of those dirty little striped, brown rats so favored by Disney fans.    Gamo makes a decent one too.
Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 887
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2015, 05:42:53 PM »
For a scope it has to be for air guns because the recoil is different and supposedly will wreck a regular scope.
I haven't heard either way about red dots.

Recoil on a springer is the opposite vibration as a powder driven firearm.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk