Author Topic: Wal-Mart moving away from firearms  (Read 15846 times)

1776 Rebel

Re: Wal-Mart moving away from firearms
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2008, 08:27:49 AM »
Some comments indicate not a big deal. Like Wal Mart is somehow not a player in the firearms arena. Just for laughs take a look at the Remington annual report. Walmart comprises over 17% of sales. The old saying of "he who pays the piper calls the tune" applies. Tommy Milner can bitch all he wants but he ain't gonna piss off his biggest customer even if they say they'll need a DNA sample from every buyer (and don't put that out of the realm of possibly - mark that down for the future). The big gun firms are public. They have shareholders to take care of and can't do a Ronnie Barrett.

Plus Walmart isn't gonna piss off 300 mayors. They call the tune in their areas also. This is just a great big contest of who has the biggest male genitals. Take a look at what Cabelas is going thru with their NJ store. They are trying to keep things civil but NJ is just about telling them nfw for a store across from NYC and in their state, that glorifies guns and hunting.

With Cerebus picking up all the gun companies how do you think they are going to react. I would suggest they will cut their loses and sell off to some offshore firm for pennies on the dollar.

Mom and pop shops  are gonna be sweezed also. Take a look at the FFL numbers and how they have declined. How the hunting numbers have declined. What is the average age at your gun club? 50, 60 or older? Gun manufacturers are bleeding red ink. If you think this is an upward trend your kidding yourselves. We are spiraling downward and real fast. Enjoy what you have but your children won't have anything like it in their lifetimes. The few places you might be able to buy guns will have very little to  offer. It will be like the empty food stores in Moscow in 1980.

rich642z

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 08:51:17 AM »
I also refuse to buy anything in their sporting goods section. The clerks havent been properly trained in the firearms industry like we law-abiding gun owners have.  I just buy dog food for my 3 guard dogs I have and that is about it and some shirts and gun magazines with magazines[reading] that is 10% off retail and I am a disabled shooter.   rich642z,Omaha,Ne. >:( >:( >:(

sthsenior

• They call me Moon, Dark Moon...
  • Forum Member
  • Hot buttered rum in a lively tavern
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2008, 10:04:58 AM »
I get tired of the debated statistic that "He who sells the most makes the rules".  Walmart may be a large supplier of XY and Z, but that's only because WE the consumer shop there.  If WE the consumer stop buying our much needed Chinese made crap from them, guess what, their sales drop and so does their influence.  The consumer is the boss in this country, don't forget it.  Now, put your wallet where your heart is and buy from the smaller retailers and/or "Mom and Pop" stores.

I only wish Walmart would take half as much interest in ensuring their food was safe for consumption.
"We sleep soundly in our beds
because rough men stand ready
in the night to visit violence on
those who would do us harm."

-George Orwell

1776 Rebel

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2008, 01:07:34 PM »
My head is hurting from all the news today. NY State had a massive loss in the Assembly to the gun control crowd and this whole Walmart thing. Been thinking on this some more.

When Walmart does something like this videotaping they will use the best of available technology to catalog and track all the sales. Instant retrieval. Google search capability. That will mean by proxy Bloomberg has acheived a NATIONAL REGISTRATION program. You don't think that next year he will tell the press "why if Walmart can do it can't the US Government?" You think that YOUR LOCAL police forces won't walk into the local Walmart and demand to do ad hoc queries on their databases? Bloomberg has already sent his cops as far as Virgina to pull off stings at gunshows and gunshops. He has teamed up HIS cops with BATF agents to walk into gunshops in NY and the BATF guy asks for the yellow sheets while the NYC cop looks over their shoulder. Totally violating the law regards privacy of the forms. You tell me that the chiefs of police in the major cities and your State Troopers won't take advantage of this? The vast majority of chiefs are political appointees.

When Bloomberg calls for Microstamping and turns to Walmart what do you think will happen. Walmart will DEMAND IT OF THEIR VENDORS. 17% of Remingtons business guys !!! Don't you think Tommy Milner may winch but he will salute and say Ay Ay captain ! All without a single legislature having to act. YOU DON'T GET TO VOTE ON THIS ONE. This my friends is the real POST HELLER WORLD. Bloomberg is just so freaking smart. He is OUTSOURCING POLITICAL ACTION.

Its all about the big MO. The momentum is building folks. You ingnore this. You ignore that. Then in a few years everyone of your neighbors are agreeing with the "guns should be stored at the police station" crowd. You'll be the one that they turn too and say "didn't you own guns Harry?" and they will be turning you in for re-education.

The NRA reeeeeaaaallllyyy needs to step up to the plate on this one.

ericire12

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2008, 01:19:37 PM »
My head is hurting from all the news today. NY State had a massive loss in the Assembly to the gun control crowd and this whole Walmart thing. Been thinking on this some more.

When Walmart does something like this videotaping they will use the best of available technology to catalog and track all the sales. Instant retrieval. Google search capability. That will mean by proxy Bloomberg has acheived a NATIONAL REGISTRATION program. You don't think that next year he will tell the press "why if Walmart can do it can't the US Government?" You think that YOUR LOCAL police forces won't walk into the local Walmart and demand to do ad hoc queries on their databases? Bloomberg has already sent his cops as far as Virgina to pull off stings at gunshows and gunshops. He has teamed up HIS cops with BATF agents to walk into gunshops in NY and the BATF guy asks for the yellow sheets while the NYC cop looks over their shoulder. Totally violating the law regards privacy of the forms. You tell me that the chiefs of police in the major cities and your State Troopers won't take advantage of this? The vast majority of chiefs are political appointees.

When Bloomberg calls for Microstamping and turns to Walmart what do you think will happen. Walmart will DEMAND IT OF THEIR VENDORS. 17% of Remingtons business guys !!! Don't you think Tommy Milner may winch but he will salute and say Ay Ay captain ! All without a single legislature having to act. YOU DON'T GET TO VOTE ON THIS ONE. This my friends is the real POST HELLER WORLD. Bloomberg is just so freaking smart. He is OUTSOURCING POLITICAL ACTION.

Its all about the big MO. The momentum is building folks. You ingnore this. You ignore that. Then in a few years everyone of your neighbors are agreeing with the "guns should be stored at the police station" crowd. You'll be the one that they turn too and say "didn't you own guns Harry?" and they will be turning you in for re-education.

Bullseye!

The NRA has really been dragging their feet lately. They need to be much more proactive to nip stuff like this in the bud before it happens. This is a very dangerous precedent, and all it took was some collusion and string pulling by a politician. Wal-Mart is a powerful force. When they say jump, their suppliers say how high.
Everything I needed to learn in life I learned from Country Music.

Sponsor

« Reply #25 on: Today at 03:58:28 PM »

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2008, 05:31:08 PM »
Since I think it is only fair to express our feelings to businesses I believe that it is time for someone that is a better writer than me to come up with a "business card" that we can all print out:

Dear WalMart:

Due to your stance on firearms and ammunition sales I will no longer patronize your business.  Your extreme steps to expand the already limiting regulations and to invade our privacy through extreme measures such as recording my image for future reference while purchasing legal sporting arms is an unwarranted danger to my privacy and constitutional rights.

Given your current hostile environment toward sportsmen I will no longer support you with my hard earned money.  When you return to reasonable and fair business practices I will return as a customer.

John Doe
Any Town, USA
Former WalMart Customer

A simple stop by the front door, run in and hand this card to the greeter in a polite way, and turn and walk out.
Any thoughts?

M58 hits the nail on the head and well written.  Here is the e-mail address to contact the corporate office directly.  I did.

http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

Also this college student has nifty business cards to had out to anti-gun businesses

http://www.nogunsnoservice.com/
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2008, 06:17:52 PM »

Now that is an excellent analysis.

And yes, the NRA needs to step up here and start finding a way to counter Bloomie. He is no longer funny and pathetic. Well, OK, he is pathetic, but no longer funny.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

CurrieS103

• NRA Life Member
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2008, 08:59:59 PM »

Also this college student has nifty business cards to had out to anti-gun businesses

http://www.nogunsnoservice.com/
[/quote]

UPDATE:  Mandy is in the middle of college exams and expects to be back up and running May 5th
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Long Armed Devil

• Forum Member
  • Think... then speak
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2008, 10:08:50 PM »
I did buy a ruger 10/22 form Walmart last year and have bought ammo from them in the past. :-[  However I will not buy any more ammo or any firearm  or firearm related products ( cleaning supplies, targets, ect) from them in the future.  I live in Az. and we just got a Dicks Sporting Goods here but I have yet to check it out, will go tomorrow.   Recently I have made my purchases from Bass Pro Shop, Cabellas or my local gun shops.  I am more than willing to pay a few extra dollars to try to keep the stores that cater to the gun culture alive and well.

jpr9954

• Active Forum Member
    • No Lawyers - Only Guns and Money
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2008, 10:26:30 PM »
I was thinking of a way to get Wally World's attention as I drove by one today. We can email all we want and they will continue to do what ever they want. Letters might get more attention.

However, how is this for an approach? You take a copy of either the Mayor's press release or the AP/Reuters article on it and visit your local Wal-Mart store. You find the manager and politely show him the article and say, "I have been a shopper at your store for X years and have saved my family plenty of money. However, given the new policy that Wal-Mart has adopted, I can no longer morally justify shopping at your store as your company is supporting a group that endangers my family. I'm sorry but that is just the way it is." If enough people do that, it WILL get back to Bentonville and it will be coming from the one source that they can't ignore - their local store managers.

John
So-called gun-free zones are nothing but hunting preserves for psychopaths that hunt humans. -- Massad Ayoob

http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com

Co-host of The Polite Society Podcast

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk