Author Topic: Pistols with a shot at replacing the M9  (Read 16604 times)

MikeO

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Pistols with a shot at replacing the M9
« on: August 30, 2011, 11:02:59 AM »
Here we go again... might get it done this time by fiscal 2014.

see: http://www.armytimes.com/news/2011/08/army-pistols-with-a-shot-at-replacing-m9-82811w

"Your next pistol

Officials are not allowed to discuss the selection process while requirements are being written. But Thomas did say the next pistol would be a commercial, off-the-shelf product.

Narrowing the field is not especially hard. The soldier requirements division must first consider existing programs of record. If another government agency has a pistol program that meets or exceeds the Army’s requirements, that is the one you will get.

There are some strong contenders in that category, and they are not limited to the .45 caliber and 9mm varieties. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms in 2010 made a big switch to the .40 caliber, and many military leaders would like to do the same.

Smith and Wesson’s .40 cal M&P nudged the Glock 22 and 27 in the ATF competition. Scores were so close that both received a part of the $80 million contract — and prime standing as the Army enters its search.

“It’s kind of hard to beat the Smith and Wesson M&P right now,” said one industry insider from a competing company, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “It is a polymer gun with high-capacity steel magazines. It has a positive safety and ambidextrous controls ... they simply came out of the gate with the right gun.”

Discuss, don't cuss.

Some "existing programs of record" are close, but no cigar. None had a 25,000 round service life requirement (ATF's was 20,000), and none required a manual safety. The feds (DHS and DOJ) specifically did not want a manual safety. Those specs were in the USAF MHS program the Army adopted, don't know if they will remain.

Ping

• Top Forum Member
  • Glock Certified Armorer & NRA Certified Instructor
  • Liked:
Re: Pistols with a shot at replacing the M9
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:03:01 PM »
They would not go wrong with either the Smith and Wesson M&P or the Glock. Having owned both I would personally choose the Glock. S&W did a fine job with the M&P, but care and maintanance and proven reliability remain with the Glock.

kmitch200

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 10:27:07 PM »
With no thumb safety, I doubt the military is going Glock. They're big on those....
You can say lots of bad things about pedophiles; but at least they drive slowly past schools.

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 08:13:23 AM »
I read the article in MarineTimes and noticed that the 40SW versions of the contenders actually stood a chance.  I think the Sigs will be a good choice:
It's already in the inventory in 9mm in both the 228/229 and 226, including holsters
DHS and USSS use the 40 versions.
While no manual safety it's DA pull isn't to bad.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

twyacht

• "Cogito, ergo armatum sum."
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 06:12:46 PM »
No HK's....

Preferably American Made...However,.the 25,000 rd. service life is like the unemployment numbers,...they can be skewed.....

IMHO, I think the M&P (hence what the "M" stands for),...is up to snuff...But I'm partial.. ::)

Thomas Jefferson: The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government. That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants."
Col. Jeff Cooper.

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:55:10 PM »

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 458
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 06:40:23 AM »
I'd go with simple DAO, like Glock, XD or M&P, no da/sa, no safety.  Make a whole lineup of sizes available.    I'd say make them available in 9mm  and .45ACP.  Both already in the supply chain.   Partial to XD and this could be a push to have SA start production stateside so they'd be  "made in the USA".

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

justbill

• Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2011, 10:31:02 AM »
No need to get excited about this article. Considering the institutional conservatism of Big Army, untold millions of rounds of 9x19 ammo already in stock, recent large purchases of new M9's and current budgetary hits being experienced by all services, we won't see a significant change in military sidearm any time soon. I'd wager a fair amount of money that my kids will still see M9's as general issue if they chose to serve...and they're 3 and 5.

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2011, 12:12:53 PM »
No need to get excited about this article. Considering the institutional conservatism of Big Army, untold millions of rounds of 9x19 ammo already in stock, recent large purchases of new M9's and current budgetary hits being experienced by all services, we won't see a significant change in military sidearm any time soon. I'd wager a fair amount of money that my kids will still see M9's as general issue if they chose to serve...and they're 3 and 5.

What he said.
Also, remember it will be a primarily political decision.
Not one based on user opinion

Timothy

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 12:57:39 PM »
^^^^^^x2

Politics are driving the boat guys.  The Pentagon as stated above just procured an additional 500,000 Beretta's for the military a year or two back.  For those already in theater, I doubt they've had more than a break in period let alone 25K rounds through them.

This is a non issue for the foreseeable future and Mitch is correct, they won't go without a mechanical safety any more than they'd take the safety off the the M4 and all of it's variants.

justbill

• Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 01:33:42 PM »
...Mitch is correct, they won't go without a mechanical safety any more than they'd take the safety off the the M4 and all of it's variants.

Agreed. No matter how much Glockaholics rend their garments, it won't be one of their favorite pistols unless it's re-engineered to include a manual safety.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk