Author Topic: Reloading marathon and a few discoveries  (Read 5837 times)

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 455
Reloading marathon and a few discoveries
« on: March 16, 2011, 06:29:31 PM »
The oldest, most active USPSA club in GA  (GA-01) is no longer allowing plain led bullets for competition.  Actually, the indoor range itself isn't allowing them.  At least not for competitions.    

I was moving away from plain lead to copper plated anyway so that's good.  I have enough brass, so I thought I'd load up all my plain lead bullets and use them up.   I'll burn these either outdoors or at a different range for practice.

But that means, I've been loading about 2,000 rounds over the past 2 weeks.  About 1,000 in 9mm, 500 in .40 and 400 in .45acp.  (I'm assuming .38spl WCs are still okay.  Not many indoor bullseye matches anyway.  That puts the old progressive to task.

Having multiple primer tubes really helps.   I can load up 500 primers and only have to pause between every 100.  Keeping things tight and properly adjusted is important on long runs.  And after every 200 rounds, I'd stop and clean up the press and check all screws, springs and settings.

On the Hornady AP there is a little sliding tray that does the primer feeding.   It has a little wheel held in by a pin.   LOC-TITE THAT PIN.  Otherwise it keeps sliding out.  So much better now that it's secured in place.

I'm going to cut off the sub-plate protrusion on the left side where you would attach the automatic case feeder.   I'm never going to have a case feeder (~$500) and that arm just keeps getting in the way and catching on my tray of empty cases.   I was going to buy a spare sub-plate but it's too expensive.

I've ordered the spare springs, but I may also order some more of the little parts involved with the primer feeding and seating.

And there are some hard pointed makeup applicators that work much better than plain Q-Tips for getting powder and primer out of the small crevices of the machine.

Pictures when I get this work done.

Will work for ammo
USAF MAC 437th MAW 1968-1972

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
Re: Reloading marathon and a few discoveries
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 07:50:28 PM »
The oldest, most active USPSA club in GA  (GA-01) is no longer allowing plain led bullets for competition.  Actually, the indoor range itself isn't allowing them.  At least not for competitions.   

Why  ???
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 08:31:49 PM »
I'm guessing the new lead rulls that went into effect oct1 of last year.  While mainly directed at coatings, it also has several sub sections that deal with the clean up and removal.

I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 09:20:03 PM »
Why  ???

Lead dust and pollution.  Several older members who used to shoot a lot of lead (remember these are small indoor ranges) have been treated for lead poisoning.

Will work for ammo

alfsauve

• Semper Vigilantes
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 09:24:45 PM »
back on the reloading thing.   I did it tonight.  I cut off the excess "arm" on the reloading press.  (This arm is used to mount the auto brass feeder, which I'll never use)  Now it won't catch on my brass tray.

Patience and a hack saw, I did it in place.   Then used a Dremel tool (was that the one Mrs Bane sold at the yard sale while Michael was out of town?) to smooth the end and edges.

Works much better now.

Will work for ammo

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 01:28:00 AM »

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 09:25:58 PM »
Sometimes less is more. ;)
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

tombogan03884

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 11:11:27 PM »
Unplated lead bullets vaporize lead into the air as well. Jacketed bullets don't.
Long term exposure can kill range employee's as happened at the Hooksett NH Police range where Ayoob used to shoot.
Range master there for 20+ years died from accumulated lead poisoning a few years back.

sledgemeister

• Top Forum Member
  • Democrat Sheeples
    • Australian Hunting Net
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 02:55:21 AM »

On the Hornady AP there is a little sliding tray that does the primer feeding.   It has a little wheel held in by a pin.   LOC-TITE THAT PIN.  Otherwise it keeps sliding out.  So much better now that it's secured in place.

First use of my Hornady saw that little #$#% bastard thing come flying off and fly god knows where in the work shop.
I had to contact hornady to replace it, I was astounded when they said oh yeah its only superglued in, I though WTF.
In any case I gt a replacement and done some reloading the other week. I am having issues with my primer slide catching, when i get time I am going to pull it apart and polish the hell out of it, and see if that does any good.
I am going to keep that arm as I plan on using it to mae my own cartridge feeder of sorts, one day.........when I get time.
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters. - Solomon Short

ellis4538

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 04:02:54 AM »
Unless you are loading CMJ (Complete Metal Jacket) bullets some lead gets vaporized during firing because of lead in primers and the exposed lead base.  Also lead will vaporize as it hits the backstop.  Granted, not as much as all lead bullets, but it is there.

FWIW

Richard
Used to be "The only thing to FEAR was FEAR ITSELF", nowadays "The only thing to FEAR is GETTING CAUGHT!"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk