Author Topic: The Little Voice Keeps Saying Iron Sights...  (Read 19533 times)

tombogan03884

Re: The Little Voice Keeps Saying Iron Sights...
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2009, 07:52:44 PM »
Hey FQ, something I was going to mention before the Remington Rolling block may have been an OK rifle, suitable for what TW wants but it was never as impressive to Govt's as the contemporary Martini and Sharps, about the only Armies that used them were Russia and Turkey. It was however widely used by the Mahdi's Dervishes at the battle of Omdurman (against Maxims ) Some were used by the Boers during their war with the British, and even as late as the 1930's by Ethiopians resisting the Italian invasion.

TW, don't forget the Winchester Hi wall, a friend of mine has one in 45/70 that has mild recoil and gets good hits at 500 yards.
We were shooting at a steel plate so I don't know how it grouped.

Badgersmilk

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2009, 08:04:37 PM »
Accurate 45/70, I LOVE this thing:

But for iron sights, this is pretty nice as well!

That's 32"'s of barrel on this puppy!  Moose Masher!

Both H&R's.  Not wall hangers, but fine shooters!

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 08:09:02 PM »
I like the Martini. My Grandad had one that I really regret he sold. Plus you get the whole Zulu Dawn vibe, or just Zulu if you're having a bad day. ;D They are fun, though I have no clue as to availability of 45-70 if you don't reload. I wouldn't look twice at 45-90 if you don't, Quigley or no Quigley (at least I think his was a 45-90). You can get Perdesolis pretyy cheap (their "Old Reliable" imprint seems to go for $500-$1000 on guntoker).Fun stuff if you have acess to a better than 100 yard range.
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 08:19:05 PM »
 I forget what the Military Martini's were chambered for but the companies original line included a 45/70 chambering.
45/70 is still available from most, if not all manufacturers, and the Marlin Guide Gun is chambered for it.
Quigley's rifle was a 45/110. (watch the video I linked in my first post  ;D  )
BM, That's a thought, H&R are not that expensive, if you don't mind break action.

david86440

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2009, 09:03:37 PM »
I have an 1871 Buffalo Classic in .45-70 gov.  I don't think you can beat it for the price and you can add a 30" brass scope to complete the package although I know you want iron sights. It comes with a selection of apertures for different sight configurations.

H&R's Wesson & Harrington 1871 Buffalo Classic .45-70.
The "poor man's buffalo rifle".
By: Tuolumne Lawman, SASS# 6127

Copyright ©: Tuolomne Lawman & Cowboy Chronicle

The Buffalo Classic has a genuine black walnut, straight grip stock and schnable style fore arm, both with nice cut checkering. Like the Handi-Rifle, it has a single tipping barrel, but it is a heavier 32" with deep cut rifling for lead and Black Powder loads. The receiver is very nicely color case hardened, as is the crecent steel buttplate. The blueing is very deep and even. While it does not come with sights (long range sights being very subject to individual preferences), there is a 3/8" dove tail on the muzzle end of the barrel, and the receiver end is drilled and tapped for a Williams rear sight. The rifle looks very "cowboy" to me.

Well, you may ask, how does it shoot? Great!  Shooting the Buffalo Classic at both our November and January long range rifle side matches, I got second place in both the smokeless and black powder categories. The November match had over 20 competitors in the smokeless category. To a man, they were using much more expensive 1885 Brownings, expensive Shiloh or C. Sharps, or custom Remington rolling blocks! The January match had about a dozen. The course was 9 rounds against the clock (6 rounds in January), freehand, at a 20"X15" steel buffalo at 235 yards. Prior to the November match, I had not fired the Buffalo Classic farther than 50 yards. Not bad performance for a "bargain" gun!

For an inexpensive gun, it has a really smooth, crisp, trigger pull, breaking at about 5 lbs. As for ballance, it is really great. The long 32" barrel is heavy enough to give it good balance, but so heavy as to fatigue the arm in off-hand shooting. The action is opened by depressing a lever next to the hammer, under the left thumb. The ejection of the empties is, to say the least, very positive, making reloads really fast. These two features really help in off-hand shooting against the clock.

In closing, I would have to give H&R's "Wesson and Harrington 1871 Buffalo Classic" this ol' Lawman's "BEST BUY FOR THE BUCK AWARD" in the long range, single shot rifle category!

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 11:48:48 PM »

Badgersmilk

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 01:40:41 PM »

45/70 with a pointy edged steel butt plate!!!  Now THAT'S a man's gun!  ;)

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 03:24:04 PM »
I saw one for $300 new on toker. Not bad at all. How is your accuracy Badger?
FQ13

tombogan03884

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 03:46:19 PM »
BM, The recoil on my buddies was NOTHING like what you expect, 7.62X54 is worse.

Pathfinder

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger -- NRA Life Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 83
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 04:05:46 PM »
BM, The recoil on my buddies was NOTHING like what you expect, 7.62X54 is worse.

Is it really the 7.62x54 or the Moisin that shot it?   ;D

I have heard that the Moisin will beat you up for daring to fire anything, it is just that pissy!!!!
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do this to others and I require the same from them"

J.B. Books

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 04:10:30 PM »
Is it really the 7.62x54 or the Moisin that shot it?   ;D

I have heard that the Moisin will beat you up for daring to fire anything, it is just that pissy!!!!
It killed Nazis on one end and wounded commies on the other. The perfect rifle! ;D
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk