Author Topic: More on the .22 for SD Argument  (Read 16563 times)

PegLeg45

• NRA Life, SAF, Constitutionalist
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1048
More on the .22 for SD Argument
« on: August 14, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »
**EDIT**
To be very clear on the topic: I DO NOT advocate using the .22lr for self defense if you have any other choice available. In a tight spot, the .22 might work, but IMHO, the biggest caliber you can shoot consistently accurate is the best.

Not to stir up old conflicts, but I ran across a posting by Grant Cunningham on FB linking to an article by Greg Ellifritz and his take on why the .22 is NOT the optimum choice.

I have included all three links to the relevant articles, from Grant's note on his website, the original American Handgunner article by Ellifritz, and his subsequent follow-up due to the feedback he received.

From Grant Cunningham:
Would you use a .22 for self defense?

One of the interesting things to come out of Greg Ellifritz's study of ammunition effectiveness was how well the .22 Long Rifle worked - or, at least, appeared to work. By some measures, it performed better than the vaunted .45 ACP! There is a small but dedicated group of people out there who seized upon this data as proof that the .22 is in fact the most deadly cartridge ever made by man. After all, they insist, the figures don’t lie!

This is what's known as anomalous data: data which doesn't fit the expected distribution. How, then, do we explain it?

Ellifritz took this on in a recent blog post, and it's worth reading to understand all of the variables which go into something as complex as bullet performance - and why single numbers, as preferred by some researchers, are never enough to tell the whole story. Be sure to read the comments as well, as there are some very intelligent analyses being done by his readers too.

-=[ Grant ]=-

http://www.grantcunningham.com/blog_files/bacfa785e21af37dbb92f63af0f1773c-1227.html

From American Handgunner, by Greg Ellifritz
Defensive Carry
Is It Caliber Or Equipment?

http://americanhandgunner.com/defensive-carry/

Follow-up by Ellifritz:
Using the .22 for Self Defense

Since my handgun stopping power study was published last month in American Handgunner Magazine, I've received several questions from readers about my data.  I expected to be castigated by all the big bullet aficionados for reporting honest data about the “mouse gun” calibers.  That wasn't what I received.

All the email that I got was from .22 advocates telling me that I misinterpreted my data and that the .22 is the best defensive cartridge ever invented.  Really?  I’m open to an honest discussion about the relative merits of carrying a .22 in certain situations, but I promise you that if I was to grab a gun right now, knowing that I would be getting into a gunfight, my .22s would be VERY low on the list.

- See more at:

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/using-the-22-for-self-defense

"I expect perdition, I always have. I keep this building at my back, and several guns handy, in case perdition arrives in a form that's susceptible to bullets. I expect it will come in the disease form, though. I'm susceptible to diseases, and you can't shoot a damned disease." ~ Judge Roy Bean, Streets of Laredo

For the Patriots of this country, the Constitution is second only to the Bible for most. For those who love this country, but do not share my personal beliefs, it is their Bible. To them nothing comes before the Constitution of these United States of America. For this we are all labeled potential terrorists. ~ Dean Garrison

"When it comes to the enemy, just because they ain't pullin' a trigger, doesn't mean they ain't totin' ammo for those that are."~PegLeg

tombogan03884

Re: More on the .22 for SD Argument
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 01:56:24 PM »
I'd use a rock for SD if that was all I had .
A rock, like a .22, would not be my first choice no matter what some internet genius has to say about it.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 08:26:23 PM »
i think a 22 semi auto rifle would be a very good sd weapon for a small person or someone with a disabilty. Would I want something bigger? Yes,  would I feel unarmed?  No.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:08:16 AM »
i think a 22 semi auto rifle would be a very good sd weapon for a small person or someone with a disabilty. Would I want something bigger? Yes,  would I feel unarmed?  No.
If its  shortish range rifle fight you could do worse than a 10/22 with 20 rounders, probably better than a .308 bolt. But that's a pretty specific set of requirements.

Magoo541

• Bryan Munson
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »
IMHO just carry the biggest gun you can, only you can determine what that is.  Then all the arguing becomes wasted energy/time that could be doing something productive.

To each his own.
He who dares wins.  SAS

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:57:53 PM »

tstand

• Active Forum Member
  • Liked:

Solus

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2014, 07:02:03 PM »
Each night I pray that should I be forced into a SD shootout that the bad guys are all .22LR Fan Boys.

I can't think of any round I'd rather have them using...not sure if a ball bearing in a sling shot is ahead or behind it though

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!"
—Patrick Henry

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters."
— Daniel Webster

tombogan03884

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 02:21:43 PM »
Each night I pray that should I be forced into a SD shootout that the bad guys are all .22LR Fan Boys.

I can't think of any round I'd rather have them using...not sure if a ball bearing in a sling shot is ahead or behind it though

.22 has higher velocity than .25 auto or .32 ACP.and I think if you go by weight AND velocity the sling shotted ball bearing beats all 3.

TAB

• DRTV Rangers
  • Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 02:34:59 PM »
25 is the weakest common centerfire round i know of. Even a 22 long is stronger from a rifle.  22 short is the weakest i know of.
I always break all the clay pigeons,  some times its even with lead.

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 888
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 04:41:54 PM »
1.  Gun must be easily carried or it will not be carried;
2.  Gun must be easily and accurately shot by shooter;
3.  Ammunition must be available and affordable for both practice and carry;
4.  Gun and ammunition must go bang every time the trigger is pulled and not when it isn't;
5.  It must be viewed as a negative by the attacker.

Any gun that goes bang and leaves leaking holes in the body will be a deterrent.  Unless your name is Radio Boy, you do not have tattooed across your forehead that it is only a .22 nobody will know you have a small caliber.

I carry a 1911 Gov in .45acp because I can, I like it, and ...  Many people are killed by .22lr by self inflicted, accident and intentional.  Contrary to popular belief the gangsters that forged the way for today's wanna be punks did not carry big guns.  They carried little pocket guns and did just fine murdering with them.

I know what I want and what works for me.  You know what you want and what works for you.  Refer all others to the list above or similar lists made by people much smarter than me. 

But quit ridiculing somebody for their choice of dependable firearm that they will practice with and carry.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk