Author Topic: Black Rifle input please!  (Read 15535 times)

Bigpops

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Black Rifle input please!
« on: March 22, 2008, 04:38:24 PM »
I am considering an XCR from Robinson Armamnet Co.  I like what I see so far and am impressed with the fuctionality of the weapon.

I am new to this side of the house so any input would be appreciated.

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: Black Rifle input please!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 05:11:27 PM »
I'm very happy with mine. The rifle has about half the recoil of an M4, easy to maintain and eats everything  I've fed it.
I have probably only shoot 3000 rounds through mine but I know a firearms instructor that has tens of thousands of rounds and no failures.  So far two other folks I work with now own them. IMHO much nicer than the Sig556 or the old 550

Bigpops

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »
I'm very happy with mine. The rifle has about half the recoil of an M4, easy to maintain and eats everything  I've fed it.
I have probably only shoot 3000 rounds through mine but I know a firearms instructor that has tens of thousands of rounds and no failures.  So far two other folks I work with now own them. IMHO much nicer than the Sig556 or the old 550

Thank you!  It is always nice to get some positive feed back before a purchase!

Which caliber did you go with?

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »
Bigpops,

I went with 5.56/.223 because I already have two other rifles in that caliber. I put a EOTech scope on it similar to the set up on my S&W15. Mine did not come with a forward sling mount so I picked up one aftermarket.

I used it at the Steel City Rifle match in AL and could hit the 8 inch plate at 200 yards without trouble. It's a keeper.

Bigpops

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 05:53:49 AM »
Thanks again.

Which EO Tech model did you go with and why?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:22:28 AM »

ratcatcher55

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 08:31:47 AM »
I think I went with the 552? I didn't need the night vision compatablity or magnification.
I look at this as a 0-200 meter weapons system with the 16 inch barrel. There are some good optics, I just think this system will take the most abuse.

If I get another, (November gun) it would be a 20 inch barrel and I would buy an optic with some magnification. I have some buddys who are very impressed with ACOG. That would burn up the budget pretty quickly!

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 10:20:49 AM »
Funny you should ask.  I picked up an XCR a couple of weeks ago.  I'm working through the reliability part of my testing now.  I have 1,300 rds. through it, the last 900 of which have been without cleaning or oil.  I've put several different types of ammunition through it and other than an occasional adjustment to the gas system, it seems to be running very well. 

The ergonomics are better than the AR and is does seem to shoot a little softer, but I think that is more a result of having the weight of the gas system out over the barrel.  I haven't done any real accuracy testing yet, that will come after the reliability test, but I have no problem making head shots on steel IPSC targets at 200 yards.

The worst part of the rifle is definitely the trigger.  Simply put....it sucks.  There are things you can do to make it better and I've done a homemade trigger job and got the trigger down to about 4-5 lbs.  Prior to that it was up around 8+lbs.  Robinson Arms just announced that they have a "match" trigger that will be available shortly.  The claim 3-4lbs., so we'll see how that turns out.

All in all, I've been very happy with the XCR.  It handles well and the controls are very intuitive to use.  Providing the new "match" trigger lives up to it's expectations, the XCR could give my POF piston-driven rifle some real competition as my primary instructing/training rifle.

USSA-1
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

Bigpops

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 10:46:50 AM »
Funny you should ask.  I picked up an XCR a couple of weeks ago.  I'm working through the reliability part of my testing now.  I have 1,300 rds. through it, the last 900 of which have been without cleaning or oil.  I've put several different types of ammunition through it and other than an occasional adjustment to the gas system, it seems to be running very well. 

The ergonomics are better than the AR and is does seem to shoot a little softer, but I think that is more a result of having the weight of the gas system out over the barrel.  I haven't done any real accuracy testing yet, that will come after the reliability test, but I have no problem making head shots on steel IPSC targets at 200 yards.

The worst part of the rifle is definitely the trigger.  Simply put....it sucks.  There are things you can do to make it better and I've done a homemade trigger job and got the trigger down to about 4-5 lbs.  Prior to that it was up around 8+lbs.  Robinson Arms just announced that they have a "match" trigger that will be available shortly.  The claim 3-4lbs., so we'll see how that turns out.

All in all, I've been very happy with the XCR.  It handles well and the controls are very intuitive to use.  Providing the new "match" trigger lives up to it's expectations, the XCR could give my POF piston-driven rifle some real competition as my primary instructing/training rifle.

USSA-1

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

You just made me feel a lot better about my purchase.  ( I ordered it today through my local FFL)

Would you be so kind as to keep me/us updated on how your tests go?

Thanks again,
BP

USSA-1

• Top Forum Member
    • US Shooting Academy
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 12:59:11 PM »
Sure, no problem.

Make sure to post some pics when you get the XCR setup with all the goodies. :)

USSA-1
"Occupo Mens"
Win the Fight

Watch The Tactical Rifle Channel

Lucas

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »
You all might have just changed my mind!  I was after a Vector Arms V-93,  but after reading this thread and looking at the site I am in quite a moral dillema.  When it says that the 5.56 is compatable with "most M-16" mags,  does that mean it accepts most AR-15 mags.  Another thing that concerns me are the sights.  I have an extreame need for a highly durable gun.  I'm not very nice to them.  Any help making my choice would be greatly appreciated.  I will do a little homework myself and see what I can come up with.
By the ring of our swords, and the flash of our cannons, they will know that We Are Free

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk