Author Topic: Pocket Pistols: J-Frame: Clandestine Ammo Carrier?  (Read 10866 times)

drkyte

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pocket Pistols: J-Frame: Clandestine Ammo Carrier?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2011, 06:24:28 PM »
When I carry a J-frame it is either in a coat pocket or back pants pocket.  I always use a pocket holster.  I carry a Variant speed loader in my front pants pocket.

My favorite is the coat carry.  From time to time, I get an old jacket and practice shooting from the pocket.  Nothing faster.

If you pocket carry, be sure to clean gun and loaders periodically.  Even in a holster the pocket lint will gum things up.

---------------------------
It's to late to work within the system,
but too early to start shooting the bastards

Joe

justbill

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 06:04:35 PM »
I use a hybrid approach when carrying revolvers. If I'm carrying a K-frame as my primary CCW, I use a Bianchi speedloader pouch that splits the load over my belt. Three rounds behind, three in front. It makes for a surprisingly easy to conceal reload. I'll also pocket a Speed Strip for use as a "tactical reload." When jacket weather arrives, I always have a second speedloader in the strong side pocket for the same reason noted by Billstryker.

If the likely threat level is low and I'm only carrying a J-frame, I'll just pocket a Speed Strip. In jacket weather I'll supplement this with a speedloader in the strong side pocket.

84B20

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »
I hope this doesn't appear that I'm hijacking this thread but it does concern pocket pistols.  I was just viewing the latest Shooting Gallery and this is at least the 2nd time I've heard mention that rather than trying to reload the small revolver one should carry a second one.  That may be well and good in your home but here in New Mexico and I suspect other states it is illegal to carry a backup gun unless you are a LEO.  I wish that would be mentioned in the broadcast.
NRA Life Member, JPFO member, NAGR member, 2nd Amendment Foundation member and Life Member of Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 996

MikeBjerum

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 10:37:14 PM »
I hope this doesn't appear that I'm hijacking this thread but it does concern pocket pistols.  I was just viewing the latest Shooting Gallery and this is at least the 2nd time I've heard mention that rather than trying to reload the small revolver one should carry a second one.  That may be well and good in your home but here in New Mexico and I suspect other states it is illegal to carry a backup gun unless you are a LEO.  I wish that would be mentioned in the broadcast.

In many of Michael's productions they will go overboard to point out the most conservative methods and precautions.  However, there is no way to cover every intricate law.  Due to this all of us that carry must go back to what we were taught when we took our carry course or firearms safety course:  It is your responsibility to know the laws and rules of the jurisdiction in which you are at any given time.

In New Mexico we can't carry a back up gun, but in Minnesota there is no such law.  I typically carry two guns, a knife and a flashlight.  I have been known to even carry three handguns (two pocket style and my full size), but that is typically in a teaching situation where I want to demonstrate the ability to conceal and to show how you have know idea who is carrying.

Here is a little known situation that makes it impossible for anyone to do more than tell you "it is your responsibility to know":  Everyone knows it is illegal to carry in a post office.  In our community the building the post office is in is owned by a gentleman from out of state, and he also owns what we have always assumed was a neighboring building.  However, this was at one time a single building, and it is now divided into 1/3 (occupied by the Post Office), and 2/3 (occupied by an attorney (the owner's brother) and an insurance agent).  Because the dividing wall is a stud wall and not considered secure, the USPS has right of first refusal on renting the other 2/3's and they have the right to control renters.  This clause turns the two office areas into USPS property and illegal to carry at.  Am I going to get into trouble for carrying in the offices?  Most likely not.  However, if the police are looking for a nit picking way to nail me this is one way.  It is no different than catching DUI's by pulling over everyone with a burnt our light on their car.
If I appear taller than other men it is because I am standing on the shoulders of others.

84B20

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 11:13:43 PM »
In many of Michael's productions they will go overboard to point out the most conservative methods and precautions.  However, there is no way to cover every intricate law.  Due to this all of us that carry must go back to what we were taught when we took our carry course or firearms safety course:  It is your responsibility to know the laws and rules of the jurisdiction in which you are at any given time.

In New Mexico we can't carry a back up gun, but in Minnesota there is no such law.  I typically carry two guns, a knife and a flashlight.  I have been known to even carry three handguns (two pocket style and my full size), but that is typically in a teaching situation where I want to demonstrate the ability to conceal and to show how you have know idea who is carrying.

Here is a little known situation that makes it impossible for anyone to do more than tell you "it is your responsibility to know":  Everyone knows it is illegal to carry in a post office.  In our community the building the post office is in is owned by a gentleman from out of state, and he also owns what we have always assumed was a neighboring building.  However, this was at one time a single building, and it is now divided into 1/3 (occupied by the Post Office), and 2/3 (occupied by an attorney (the owner's brother) and an insurance agent).  Because the dividing wall is a stud wall and not considered secure, the USPS has right of first refusal on renting the other 2/3's and they have the right to control renters.  This clause turns the two office areas into USPS property and illegal to carry at.  Am I going to get into trouble for carrying in the offices?  Most likely not.  However, if the police are looking for a nit picking way to nail me this is one way.  It is no different than catching DUI's by pulling over everyone with a burnt our light on their car.

I appreciate what you are saying but it would have been very easy just to add “where legal” to the suggestion just to appease those of us that are denied the "privilege."  ::)
NRA Life Member, JPFO member, NAGR member, 2nd Amendment Foundation member and Life Member of Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 996

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 05:50:24 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk