Author Topic: Taurus 9mm Revolver  (Read 20049 times)

Dudley

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Taurus 9mm Revolver
« on: March 24, 2008, 10:16:52 PM »
Hi everyone,  I am new to this site and have a question that I have been tring to get answered for several weeks.  I know that if you purchase a 357 you can shoot 38 specials in it.  The new Ruger SP101 in the 327 you can also shoot 32 specials along with others and the 454 you can shoot 45's.  So here is my question I just purchased a Taurus 905 9mm revolver that uses moon clips.  Can I shot 380's in this revolver.  The 380 has been called the 9mm short by Browning and others.  They use the same size bullet .355.  I want to thank you all for taking time to read this and any response would be welcomed.  Thanks Terry

Hazcat

• Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
Re: Taurus 9mm Revolver
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 07:20:46 AM »
I don't know the answer but it sure is an interesting question!
All tipoes and misspelings are copi-righted.  Pleeze do not reuse without ritten persimmons  :D

texcaliber

• Top Forum Member
  • "My best friends are Smith & Wesson"
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 07:03:08 PM »
i call my gunsmith and he said " the gun will shoot 9mm, .380 , and even 9x18 Macroff..........probably a few i have not thought of, then again if is not for you tell them to call Taurus or question them via the net."

Hope this helps ya man.

tex
"All I need in life is Love and a .45!"

Dudley

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 09:04:33 PM »
Thanks Texcabiler and others for responding,  I called Taurus today and ask the same question.  I was give to, what sounded like a young femail, who I had to explain three times what I was asking.  I made sure that she understood that I was talking about a revolver and not a semi-auto.  After a short pause she said that the 380 was too small to use.  I explained that the 380 was a .355 the same as the 9mm, but was shorter cartridge.  She still gave me the same answer.  After all the research I have done I can not see any reason why this would not work and be safe.  Thanks again and anyone else who has an answer please respond. Terry

Neon Knight Anubis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 09:16:41 PM »
Gotta love that level of versitility, especially if it uses the same moon clips. Ruger used to make an Sp 101 in 9mm but that was a long time ago. Shame, I could see a lot of different applications for a 9mm revolver.

That customer service lady might not be familier with the gun because I just checked the site and apparently the line has been discontinued.
We'll know for the first time
If we're evil or divine
We're the last in line

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 12:40:40 AM »

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:45:04 PM »
Just a couple of things to think about...9s and 380s are tapered cartridges, not straight-walled like revolver cartridges. Even though they are the same bullet diameter, the shorter cartridge may have excessive slop at the case mouth when inserted in the cylinder. The second is the 9x18mm Makarov is a .365 bullet diameter.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 06:11:09 AM »
I have determined that customer service is NOT the same as technical support. I have been going around with Kel-Tec on one of their products with unreliable results, until one gets to the right person who knows. Still trying. Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

jnevis

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:27:54 AM »
My thing is you'd have to use moon clips for it in 380.  If I rememeber correctly (a stretch this early) the 9mm revolvers I've seen didn't always require the moon clips and the cylinder was bored out to hold the round in place at the case mouth.  Putting the shorter 380 in it the round would slip out of place and away from the firing pin.  Plus like CZShooter said, I think that the difference in diameter even if using the clips would affect accuracy to the point of not being worth it.  The  round would bounce down the remaining difference then hit the forcing cone at varying angles.
When seconds mean the difference between life and death, the police will be minutes away.

You are either SOLVING the problem, or you ARE the problem.

DDMac

• Proudly Bald On
  • Top Forum Member
  • DRTV Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 03:28:41 PM »
That makes sense to me.
Mac.
Standing up for your Right to lay down suppressive fire since 1948!

Dudley

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 12:14:17 AM »
Thanks again you are correct, the 9mm Taurus revolver comes with moon clips,  I have not had time to check it out but the idea about the tapered wall makes sense to me.  I will have to load a moon clip and see how the 380 fits into the cylinder.  Thanks again for the responses.  Terry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk