Author Topic: Taurus 9mm Revolver  (Read 20052 times)

HAWKFISH

• Top Forum Member
  • One thing I've learned. **"It's hit or be hit."**
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Taurus 9mm Revolver
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »
I don't know personally. But, I did hear two gentleman at a gunshow talking about this same thing believe it or not. And one gentle man said you couldn't because the .380 would slide around when shooting. He did not mention anything about moonclips, perhaps they would hold .380's in place. I dunno though.

jaybet

• Top Forum Member
  • NRA Life Member, DRTV Ranger, Guitar Player
    • Bluebone- Burnin' and Smokin'
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 11:17:56 AM »
Bad idea. If it's a 9, use 9s.
I got the blues as my companion.

www.bluebone.net

Jim Urban

• Top Forum Member
  • Stay Frosty-Stay Safe
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 01:12:07 PM »
Bad idea. If it's a 9, use 9s.

Agreed.
S&W 340PD....I Won't Leave Home Without It.

Dudley

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2008, 10:15:37 AM »
I agree that after some consideration and checking it is a bad idea.  I talked to a gun smith and  he was concerned about blow back gases burning your hands and face.   The 38 and 357 both have the same size case, but the 357 is just longer.  The 9 and 380 are not hte same size even with shooting the same size bullet .355,  It was something I was thinking about and I agree it is not worth the chance of hurting myself or damaging the revolver just to burn up some old ammo.

Thanks everyone for your comments.  At least it was something to think about.  Dudley

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 07:29:23 PM »
Can anyone tell me how these shoot? Or any other experiences? I found a used one at a local gun shop and put it on layaway. It was at a good price...and looked new. I dry-fired it through all 5 cylinders, and the trigger was butter-smooth. I thought it was cool...but would I have been better off with a M85 in .38spl? I already reload 9s...as that is what I shoot for IDPA...so I figured that into the equation.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

Sponsor

« Reply #15 on: Today at 08:30:20 PM »

tombogan03884

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 08:43:11 PM »
Can anyone tell me how these shoot? Or any other experiences? I found a used one at a local gun shop and put it on layaway. It was at a good price...and looked new. I dry-fired it through all 5 cylinders, and the trigger was butter-smooth. I thought it was cool...but would I have been better off with a M85 in .38spl? I already reload 9s...as that is what I shoot for IDPA...so I figured that into the equation.

You already reload for the caliber, and with "Moon Clips" it should be faster to reload than a .38.

Galeth005

• Very Active Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 05:38:34 PM »
my quesiton is why would u want to fire 380's out of a 9mm revolver in the first place? 9mm is cheaper ammo and easier to get a hold of... plus as far as ballistics are concearned its a more effective calibur
Don't let their IGNORANCE take away YOUR rights!!!

Dudley

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 11:17:50 PM »
The only reason I asked the question was because I have about 250 rounds of 380 ammo that I reloaded for my wife's 380.  She has traded it in on a Ruger SP101 so I have the ammo and just wanted to shoot it up.  Once it was gone that would be the end of it.  Plus I was just interested in if it could be done safely.  Thanks for all the responses.  Dudley

CZShooter

• IDPA SO/MD, NRA RSO
  • Top Forum Member
  • CZ75...the choice of anime's hottest bounty hunter
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2008, 09:48:36 AM »
Hey Dudley...have you shot the revolver yet? I'm curious how you like it.
If the women don't find you handsome...they should at least find you handy.

DesertMarine

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 10:52:38 AM »
If you look at the dimensions of the .380 and 9MM there is a difference.  There is basically a .020" difference at bottom of the case (forgot names of different areas of a case, sorry) between .380 and 9MM.  At case mouth there is a .007" difference.  In the groove where half-moon clip is attached, there is around .020" difference, maybe too much.  I wouldn't try it.  I get my information from the Sierra reloading manual. 
DesertMarine

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk