Author Topic: H & R pardner pump shotgun?  (Read 13005 times)

mtpockets

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
H & R pardner pump shotgun?
« on: June 29, 2010, 01:27:42 PM »
Anyone heard of these, they seem to be made by H & R, and New England Firearms.  I have heard that Marlin know owns theese companies.  Don't know if they are any good, I shot one this weekend, seemed to be build well and shot just fine.  Could be a good cheap shotgun for the truck.

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
Re: H & R pardner pump shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 01:42:06 PM »
Chinese made 870.  I have one, every 870 aftermarket piece I have tried fit.  It is a blunt trauma gun, even moreso that some. 

Only complaint is my ignorance, I assumed it was made in New England like the other H&R's  >:(
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

tombogan03884

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 01:59:11 AM »
RW , it is made in New England, in fact I used to work at T/CA with the guy who started New England FireArms.
The Pardner is like everything else H&R makes, it isn't the top of the line, but it works and you don't have to take out a second mortgage to pay for it.
Marlin bought H&R, then Cerberus (Freedom Group ) bought Marlin. Both companies have moved their operations to other Freedom group facilities such as the Remington Plant in Illion NY, but they are all still made in the US.

r_w

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 09:50:31 AM »
RW , it is made in New England, in fact I used to work at T/CA with the guy who started New England FireArms.
The Pardner is like everything else H&R makes, it isn't the top of the line, but it works and you don't have to take out a second mortgage to pay for it.
Marlin bought H&R, then Cerberus (Freedom Group ) bought Marlin. Both companies have moved their operations to other Freedom group facilities such as the Remington Plant in Illion NY, but they are all still made in the US.

My pump says made in China.  I believe the break-actions are made in the USA, but not the pumps.
"Why are you carrying a pistol?  Expecting trouble?"

"No Maam.  If I was expecting trouble, I'd have a rifle."

mtpockets

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »
I just bought a new 870 last month for the house, so that I could put my old Wingmaster away for my son.  I didn't want to molest it by putting an extended mag on it.  Any how I am pretty disapointed in the new express, it has been jaming quite abit.  I keep trying to break it in, most jams are the "stuck in the chamber" kind from cheap tin cased ammo.  I had one jam in the magazine tube were the rounds stuck.  It's pretty sad when you go shooting with a friend that pulls out a 150 dollar shotgun right out of the box and it works just fine.  Makes you wonder, do you realy get what you pay for anymore?

Sponsor

« Reply #5 on: Today at 06:39:30 AM »

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »
I just bought a new 870 last month for the house, so that I could put my old Wingmaster away for my son.  I didn't want to molest it by putting an extended mag on it.  Any how I am pretty disapointed in the new express, it has been jaming quite abit.  I keep trying to break it in, most jams are the "stuck in the chamber" kind from cheap tin cased ammo.  I had one jam in the magazine tube were the rounds stuck.  It's pretty sad when you go shooting with a friend that pulls out a 150 dollar shotgun right out of the box and it works just fine.  Makes you wonder, do you realy get what you pay for anymore?
You do, but only if you shop wisely. There is a lot of crap out there. I'm a bit of shotgun geek. Are you looking for a hunting gun, a multi tasker, or just SD? Post a reply and I can point you at anything from $150 to $15k. As far as SD, I love the mossy's because of the top mounted safety. My second choice is the Browning BPS for the same reason, but I'm a lefty. I went with the maverick in a dedicated riot gun configuration. It has an 8 round tube and a 20" barrel for $230 give or take. Its as good as the 870 IMHO (YMMV), you just don't get as many add ons, but across the living room who cares? A cylinder bore, lots of ammo and zero jams. What more do you want? I like the idea of the Benelli's, and for that matter the Saigas, for SD, but the semi's are one more thing to go wrong. If the 870 is jamming on you, put it on gun broker and let it be someone else's problem. Take the hit and buy a Maverick, which I can personally say is OK and reliable, a Mossy 590 which is one of two guns I weep for having traded, or a Saiga, which I want very badly to try out. Rob has one. Ask him or go to the saiga forum, I forget the URL and you can get all sorts of reviews.
FQ13

mtpockets

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »
What I bought was the 870 express tactical, wish I would have got a 590.  I was more comfortable with the remington name, have had zero problems with my old one.  Just looking for a fixed buttstock higher capacity shotgun for home and camping that can take abuse.  (shorter barrel also)   I really like the 20 in. barreled mossberg 8 shot.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »
What I bought was the 870 express tactical, wish I would have got a 590.  I was more comfortable with the remington name, have had zero problems with my old one.  Just looking for a fixed buttstock higher capacity shotgun for home and camping that can take abuse.  (shorter barrel also)   I really like the 20 in. barreled mossberg 8 shot.
I bought one (a 590) to take fishing in Alaska a few years back. The Ghost ring sights are the next best thing to an eotech. I was putting 5 slugs insdide of 5" at 25 yards. It was solid and had the shell holder stock. The thing is the airline wouldn't let you take more than two bags. I had my choice of 50 pounds of salmon or the gun. The fish was worth a lot more at the time (I think I payed $400 for the shotty and sold it in AK for $300.) Second dumbest thing I ever did that didn't involve booze, jobs, politics or a girl. :-[ I would HIGHLY reccomend losing the Remington and dropping the $450 or so on the Mossy W/ ghost rings. You don't really need them in the house, but if you ever want to use it for hogs or deal with someone across the street, well, the Marines chose it for a reason. This is just my POV, but every now and again, a gun just "works" for you. That Mossy did for me. I thought I could always get another if I wanted one. But when the time came to get a new riot gun, they were out of the ghost rings and so I settled for the Maverick. In retrospect, I wish I hadn't. YMMV.
FQ13

mtpockets

• Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »
Yup your right, I really like the ghost rings.  There is alot of pros and cons about them, but till you actually shoot with them will you ever know if you like them or not.  My thoughts were I could just take them off, put them back on for hunting and such.  Thanks for the reply we live and learn.  This has been a great forum by the way, much friendlier than others.

fightingquaker13

• Top Forum Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 03:35:45 AM »
Yup your right, I really like the ghost rings.  There is alot of pros and cons about them, but till you actually shoot with them will you ever know if you like them or not.  My thoughts were I could just take them off, put them back on for hunting and such.  Thanks for the reply we live and learn.  This has been a great forum by the way, much friendlier than others.
Despite the BS, we do aim to please. Honestly, DRTV is a family, more the Sopranos than the Brady's, but still we take care of our own. You may get your ass chewed on the politics board, but the same guy will spend hours helping you out with a pistol problem. The unwritten rule here is that as long as its not personal, its all in good fun. Technical questions are always answered by folks who have a scary amount of knowledge. This is the only gun forum I hang around, for exactly these reasons.
FQ13

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk